Thinking of Moving Sumps To Garage on 1st Floor - Thoughts?

TheClark

I am thinking about moving my sumps out of the office and down into the garage.

Mainly just so I can get weight off of this floor to make room for a bigger tank.

Secondly just having the equipment out of the office sounds nice.  A bigger sump with more room to organize, sounds nice.

Rough plan is to partition off part of the garage with walls.  

Might have a small supply/return off of the HVAC to keep it comfortable.

Return Pump Recommendations?  Current return pumps wont cut it at 16' of head.

Current pump for main tank is Jebao DC12000, frag tank return is marineland about 700 GPH.  

Interested in your thoughts/ideas/experiences/recommendations.

• Like 1

Bigger tank....awwwww snap! How big we talking? :D

I'd look into the reeflo gold series pumps. Would do nicely with flow to spare! Keep the DC pumps for skimmers hehe ;)

Thanks BlueZ, they are definitely on the investigation list!  I do wonder but fail to google people having good results with efficient pool/spa pumps.  Always that saltwater risk...  Although pools are all saltwater now, maybe there are reef safe pumps out there...

How big?  As big as I can fit up here without destroying the house <BIG CHEESY GRIN/>

SunSun has a higher output line, which would be able to handle that head pressure. It's a dependable pump at a economical price.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/PumpSpecifications.html#specifications

Sounds like a great build.

Cool, thanks, will add those to the investigation list.  They were not on my radar at all, thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Reefflo all the way  :unsure:

Specifications (Hammerhead Gold):

• Maximum Flow Rate: 6000gph
  • Maximum Shut-Off Head: 24`
  • Average Wattage: 322W
  • Inlet/Outlet: 1.5"/1.5"

Specifications (Barracuda Gold):

• Maximum Flow Rate: 4600gph
  • Maximum Shut-Off Head: 20`
  • Average Wattage: 227W
  • Inlet/Outlet: 1.5"/1.5"
  • Warranty: 5-year manufacturer`s warranty

Specifications: Reeflo SwordTail New

• Maximum Flow Rate: 1,750gph
  • Maximum Shut-Off Head: 20`
  • Power Consumption: 150W
  • Inlet/Outlet: 2" FNPT / 1.5"" FNPT
  • Warranty: 3-year manufacturer`s warranty
Edited by wanareef

I am not sure what the best pump is for high volume water movement.....  but i do know that when building a water feature that requires quite a bit of rise... i always would go overkill and throttle with a valve versus just getting one that would 'do the job'.  I never have had to go back and replace a pump when i do that.

• Like 1

I am not sure what the best pump is for high volume water movement.....  but i do know that when building a water feature that requires quite a bit of rise... i always would go overkill and throttle with a valve versus just getting one that would 'do the job'.  I never have had to go back and replace a pump when i do that.

I like the sound of that, so frustrating to be underpowered for sure...  Thanks for the info and time!

I agree with the reeflo pumps. I had one years ago and they are great. They are built to throttle down so no worries of hurting them. They are also quiet as can be. If I ever get a bigger tank I will go with an external pump again I loved mine that I had.

• Like 1

MadMike had a sweet set up years ago in his garage for a sump. Not sure what he is running now though.

Yes he did have quite the setup! Quite the operation below auto water changer drag tank huge sump and skimmer. He really lived up to his name! In a mad scientist kind of way!????

Mike was using the Reeflo Marlin pumps I believe, I bought one and Cuttlefish got the other. I have it running my 4 frag tanks that has basiclly a 10 linear foot section of PVC plumb off of it and off that 10' run I have 4 T's that go upward to each of the 4 frag tanks. It's almost to much water so I have a Tru Union to each tank so I ca control the flow into the tank.

I think he had to have close to a 20' lift from his sump to his tank, I never actually saw it plumbed though.

I agree with Reeflo but only because that's were my experiance is.

• Like 1