Reduce CO2, Increase Stony Coral Growth

TheClark

At least according to this article...

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/31/novas-lethal-seas-program-simple-lesson-carbonic-chemistry/

Apparently some oyster farmers are adding kalk to seawater to increase carbonate hardness.

Not totally sure, as we have little in the way to measure CO2.  Perhaps with mindstream it will be possible to track this better.

Worth a read anyways and perhaps a chance to watch another reef show!

At least according to this article...

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/31/novas-lethal-seas-program-simple-lesson-carbonic-chemistry/

Apparently some oyster farmers are adding kalk to seawater to increase carbonate hardness.

Not totally sure, as we have little in the way to measure CO2.  Perhaps with mindstream it will be possible to track this better.

Worth a read anyways and perhaps a chance to watch another reef show!

In my opinion, ocean acidification is THE primary threat to the future of coral reefs. It's a sobering thought.....As the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere (due to human activities) continue to rise, the ocean continues to absorb most of this excess CO2, and this slowly lowers ocean pH. We all know what happens in our tanks when pH is too low.

That is a sobering thought.

In my local 'ocean', this just gave me the incentive to go ahead and run that skimmer line outside.

One easy home CO2 test is the following.

• Take some water from the tank.
  • Take the PH
  • Run an airstone for 10 minutes
  • Take the PH again.  If the PH increases, you could reduce co2 by simply aerating more
  • Take the water and air pump/airstone outside
  • Run airstone for 10 minutes.
  • If PH increases, you could reduce co2 by getting more fresh air into the room

Thanks RHF for that simple and logical test.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

• Like 1

I suspect that if you live in the city, aerating your water will bring more CO2 into solution and will lower your pH. Unfortunately, the same atmosphere that is lowering pH in the ocean is the atmosphere that we are all living in.

EDIT: Scratch that thought.....because of the livestock in the tank producing CO2, probably not. But I bet that aeration won't raise pH very much.

Edited by Lexinverts

I sit in my office and generate CO2 all day!  You can tell on the apex when I am out of the office for days, the PH goes up!

Guess I need more circulation in here :)

Interesting! Is there are correlation between this and what you had to eat the previous day? What does a trip to Taco Time do to the pH levels in your office tank? :D

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 1

Interesting! Is there are correlation between this and what you had to eat that previous day? What does a trip to Taco Time do to the pH levels in your office tank? :D

Hahahah I was hoping the CO2 was from respiratory function, not digestion :)  

• Like 1

Cant you have a decent understanding of Co2 based on Alkalinity? I think there some charts out there. I prefer not to use Co2, so for that reason, I have never really considered it.

As for Co2 for global warming. I recently heard, that while they may be increasing, the levels are actually now just becoming high enough, which is preferable for the vegetation here on Earth. Before there was a lacking to what is actually required for proper photosynthesis. Kinda interesting.

As for Co2 for global warming. I recently heard, that while they may be increasing, the levels are actually now just becoming high enough, which is preferable for the vegetation here on Earth. Before there was a lacking to what is actually required for proper photosynthesis. Kinda interesting.

Sure, increased CO2 levels in the atmosphere can help plants with photosynthesis. Unfortunately, high CO2 also causes climate change and ocean acidification, which are not worth any increase you may see in plant productivity. :unsure:

Cant you have a decent understanding of Co2 based on Alkalinity? I think there some charts out there. I prefer not to use Co2, so for that reason, I have never really considered it.

It's interesting and true I believe based on reading (I don't have the chemistry background but like reading this stuff).  

I guess that new mindstream monitor taps into that fact using co2 and ph to determine alkalinity...

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/29/answers-top-10-questions-mindstream/

Here's a link to a paper with a table that allows you to calculate CO2 concentration from alk and pH.

https://www.extension.org/mediawiki/files/9/90/Interactions_of_pH,_Carbon_Dioxide,_Alkalinity,_and_Hardness.pdf

Whoops, that's for freshwater, which is slightly different.

Edited by Lexinverts

Here's what the plant guys use.

http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/co2-enrichment/11862-co2-ph-kh-table

What I was meaning about the co2 in the atmosphere, is that we are just now reaching the levels which is best for photosynthesis. Not that it's increasing photosynthesis, but just the optimum level.  

If we are able to tell the amount of co2 roughly by KH, maybe we should follow the KH trends of the ocean water.

Right, but that doesn't work for saltwater.

What I was meaning about the co2 in the atmosphere, is that we are just now reaching the levels which is best for photosynthesis. Not that it's increasing photosynthesis, but just the optimum level.

It very likely does increase photosynthesis. Unfortunately, it does a lot of bad things too.

I suspect that if you live in the city, aerating your water will bring more CO2 into solution and will lower your pH. Unfortunately, the same atmosphere that is lowering pH in the ocean is the atmosphere that we are all living in.

EDIT: Scratch that thought.....because of the livestock in the tank producing CO2, probably not. But I bet that aeration won't raise pH very much.

When I open the windows at night, my pH will stay at 7.9-8.0. On nights that I don't open a window, the pH will drop to 7.75-7.8.
  • Like 1

I'm lucky to see 7.95 in the winter

7.65 at night and a high during the day 7.95 during the winter but since it's summer and the doors are open I see 8.2 at a high during the day and 7.95 at night, it's been this way for the last 5+ years

This is the kind of information that you would only get by running a continuous monitor of some sort. I think I need to get one!

This is the kind of information that you would only get by running a continuous monitor of some sort. I think I need to get one!

all this is intriguing, you're right, I feel myself wanting to setup a PH probe in different parts of my house or different tanks at different environments\ buildings. I see alot of tanks in a week in many different atmospheres and now I have some curiosity about a couple business tanks that are stuck in high traffic,stifled rooms during the heat.

Yes!  

Intriguing right?

I ran one a few months ago by converting a standard TLF reactor over and hooked it up to the big old 5' skimmer.  

It absolutely raised my PH in hours.  

However, the media burned up so fast it became quite the hassle.  After a few refills I called it quits but it is in the closet for future tinkering :)

Maybe it would work better for a smaller tank/skimmer. Your skimmer is pretty big, as I recall.

I thinks so!  It would be awesome to do a true experiment.  Two identical tanks, one tank with scrubber, one without.  Compare results...  I have spare media if interested...

Ah the stuff we would all do if there were more time in the day! :)