I'm back.... With a 60 gal cube!

tanktop74

After months of lurking and refusing to let the saltwater urge out..... I have purchased a used a 60 gal Marineland cube, stand, sump, Reef Octupus skimmer and LED light from Matt. 

Cube1_zpsitxqdvor.jpg

cube2_zpses7goivu.jpg

Base rock from Jeff at Cuttlefish and corals, couple nice pieces of Pukani from BRS.  Curing in an 18 gal tub for the last couple weeks.

cube%20rock_zpsjmvow2ly.jpg

LED light..... I can't remember what kind he told me it was, its got nice color and dimable, even has red, green and purple LED's. (Something that wasn't around when I last played in tanks!)

cube%20light_zps1j8sftzc.jpg

I have a Jaebo DC 8000 adjustable in sump pump for this set up.  Waiting on my check valve to arrive.  Hope to have this plumbed (which you know is my favorite part of building tanks! Really it is, I love it!) Saturday night.  Hope to have water in this bad boy Sunday!

Its nice to be back! Cant wait to feed my addiction soon! :nutty:

• Like 4

I could tell you were like a bubble about to burst at the meeting! I wonder what it was that finally threw you over the edge? lol. For me, last time it was a snorkeling trip to Florida...and long ago it was a dive in Tahiti that really sent me over the edge...

:0 great to have you back:)

• Like 1

I could tell you were like a bubble about to burst at the meeting! I wonder what it was that finally threw you over the edge? lol. For me, last time it was a snorkeling trip to Florida...and long ago it was a dive in Tahiti that really sent me over the edge...

:0 great to have you back:)

What threw me over the edge was meeting my best friends new boyfriend months ago.  And we started talking saltwater tanks. And then he had me over to see his tanks..... that was it, then he had a tank for sale..... ARGH!  He held if for me for a couple months and finally pulled the trigger!

It's alive! Got it plumbed and filled last night!!! So excited!!!
89ECE454-08B2-44DB-BBDE-A12F5E795E20_zps
82B4D552-096B-4424-B836-968447388CE6_zps

This was last night...
45BA1B4D-A718-49CB-A490-0EBDED4058E1_zps

And this is this morning, not sure I'm liking the rock work, disappointed in the pukani I got from BRS.
E621D13C-8DCD-4714-8EB1-F8AAED1C2436_zps

Edited by tanktop74
  • Like 1

I actually like the rock work. I think it looks natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, as I sit on my couch staring at the tank I am liking the cove. The couch gives you a view inside the cove!

Thanks, as I sit on my couch staring at the tank I am liking the cove. The couch gives you a view inside the cove!

It looks like you found the sweet spot.

• Like 1

Just got home from being away for 3 days. Tank had been up a week, came home to some brown algae on the sand and rock. Nice to see that the rock is not pure whit any more!Lights just went out so will take pic tomorrow.

So I have my first additions.  Thanks Jeff and Cuttlefish and Corals!! They tested my nitrates and gave the all clear for a pair of clowns. :D

I was looking at another pair when this adorable pair was pointed out to me, hosting a feather duster.

55F3BE21-9CCB-4175-B832-97B7D0A0AE23_zps

I got them home, acclimated and put them all in the tank in one quick handful, feather duster and all, hoping the clowns would find the feather duster.....

Here is the feather duster

feather%20duster_zps2is615ax.jpg

And here are the clowns, currently hosting the corner of the tank..... Hope they find the duster, because they were so cute in it earlier today

picasso%20clowns_zpsyofwsg8m.jpg

• Like 1

How long did you cycle the tank for? Did you add dry rock?

The rock when I bought it was dry. But I started curing that several weeks before I got the tank.

I cycled this with Dr Tims one and only, microbactor 7 and 3 bags of live sand.

Please don't go all "Cycle police" on me, I've been around long enough and set up more tanks than I can count. And if there happens to be a spike in my nitrates I am prepared to do a large water change.