Newbie 30 cube

SeanS

You guys missed out on all the fun! Since I last posted an update the tank has gone through a huge diatom bloom, hair algae bloom, and 2 week bacterial bloom that completely sucked all the nitrate and phosphate (as well as a ton of Alk) out of the water, leaving me with nothing but nice clean rocks and happy inhabitants to show you.

In celebration of the improved state of the tank, I finally got around to busting out the dslr, so no grainy iphone pics this time.

IMG_9630_zps92b90eba.jpg

IMG_9631_zps66a035ff.jpg

IMG_9650_zpscb173ab5.jpg

IMG_9651_zpse2acba9a.jpg

• Like 1

Good Ole Power Compacts' date='they work wonders at growing macro algaes. Is that a little Kupang Damsel? I like the front view having the 3 caves and enough room for some nice SPS mid level and up top.It's gonna look sweet in a time.[/quote']

Thanks for the kind words. The damsel is an azure, and the previous owner assures me it is a model citizen.

Nice nano! It looks like your clown fish is real friendly with the Euphyilla.

Between his cave and his euphyllia, it seems like he couldn't be happier:)

Edit: I guess azure and Kupang damsels are the same fish? You learn something new everyday...

How do you feel about about a blue or black backing for the tank? I find they "frame" the tank nicely and hide a bunch of the wires and hang on back stuff. Might consider it' date=' I used cheap science fair posterboard for a while before buying the Vinvyl.[/quote']

Good call, I will do that. I've always appreciated the depth that an open back creates, but coming from the freshwater world, I wasn't considering the amount of stuff that hangs off a reef tank.

• 2 weeks later...

use a lower ISO and you will get rid of a lot of that grain. You may need a tripod to keep it steady at a lower ISO because you will need a slower shutter speed, but you will like the results. You can open the aperture, lower f-stop to increase your shutter speed but this will also give you a shallower depth of field. Its a balancing act.

• 2 weeks later...
Happy birthday! What a birthday gift!

Thanks!

My birthday is coming up soon and I told the wife I want one of those too!

All the cool kids are doing it;)

Auto dosers do make life so much easier. What 4 things are you going to dose? Can I convert you to the ease of VOdka? :D

I wasn't really considering carbon dosing, but now that I have the ability, it does sound so much more convenient than say an algae scrubber.

It would be a real shame to not use all 4 dosing heads, right?