Newbie 30 cube

SeanS

Playing around with my photojojo lenses for the iphone. These things are so much fun:)

IMG_1245_zpsd8a837f8.jpg

Clown cave, similar to a clown car?

IMG_1243_zps37fe6ebe.jpg

Best picture yet of my favorite coral.

IMG_1230_zpsa305cf82.jpg

Euphyllia close up.

IMG_1229_zps7f16bad6.jpg

Strange creature inhabiting my birdsnest. Does anyone know what this is? It happily eats mysis.

• 2 months later...

For the past 2 1/2 months, this tank has given me one heck of a lesson in humility. Things seem to be on the mend, but only after killing the majority of my sps.

I ended up losing a mystery green bottlebrush and pink birdsnest from C&C, green slimer and beautiful Cali tort from TECO, over 90% of my monti cap and digitata, and nearly lost some encrusting montis as well.

All the while I was desperately trying to figure out what was wrong. I lowered light levels, added flow, ran polyfilter.

I slowly and carefully adjusted temperature, alk levels, nitrate and phosphate levels using vinegar and GFO.

Never once did I question the belief that had somehow slipped into my head, the idea that control of the main elements (alk, cal, mag) and nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) made water changes all but unnecessary :doh:

When I finally threw my hands up in the air, stopped messing with my dosing pump and started changing water like a maniac, the results were immediate, polyp extension like I hadn't seen in months and LPS that I had assumed to be unaffected puffing to double their size, and a big serving of humble pie.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not getting in over my head, but I've started rebuilding my fuzzy stick collection. The tank now has Monti Setosa and blue Digi, Joe the Coral, Tri color Valida, Mystery milli (tri-color?), Cali? Tort and Bird of Paradise Bnest, along with assorted LPS, encrusting and plate montis, zoas and 'shrooms.

Unfortunately, only Joe the Coral and Eagle Eye Zoas were feeling photogenic today:

IMG_1087_zpsp8ntlcj3.jpg

IMG_1524_zps740d4q5n.jpg

And a FTS showing off all my massive frags... maybe you can spot them :tongue:

IMG_1110_zpsgw2xklpe.jpg

Edited by SeanS

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...