Which of the LFS's has the best snail selection & price

Harold B

It's been awhile since i've had a chance to make a full round to all of the "major" LFS's and instead of using my entire day and a full tank of gas I thought i'd ask on here: Of you who have recently been to the three to six "major" SW friendly local fish stores or any secret spot (portland area more or less) where would I find the largest selection of snails for the best or good prices. I plan on buying quite a few, but need variety. I have basically all the hermits i'll need although maybe a few more. Please if you've been to one of the stores recently (last week or so) let me know what you saw as far as thier inventory/prices. Today is really my only free day of the week to go get some. Thank you in advance.

Harold, my favorite snails are the Trochus. Most of the LFS stores don't have them but I have found them at Garrett's. They are a little more expensive but well worth it IMO. I like them because they are more resistant to being eaten by hermits and wrasses as they can flip over. The other nice thing is they have started breeding in our tank and on occassion we will get a few that survive.

Ya unfortunately TPA would have to be a planned trip because of my schedule and considering I get 12 mi to the gallon. At the moment I am driving what turned into my project car as a daily driver. I know Garrett keeps Chaeto, at one time and probably still he had overwhelming requests for it and would take all he could get (Hotcakes). So who would run second to SWF as I'm still interested in what some of the others have to offer. After I get all the fedback I can from every one I'll make a couple calls to the top 3 or so.

I had really good luck ordering in snails from reefcleaners.org. They are a sponsor. If you cant find what your looking for locally maybe give them a try.

Ive went thia route before and was extremely happy with my order, actually got dozens more animals then i even ordered

We are pretty stocked up over at TPA. I am pretty confident that we will have what you are looking for.

Here is a short list of things that I can think of off the top of my head:

Hermits- Dwarf Blue Leg

Hermits- Red Leg

Hermits- Scarlet, Indian Ocean

Hermits- Electric Blue Leg

Hermits- Misc.

Hermits- Hawaiian Orange and Red banded

Hermits- Hawaiian Zebra

Hermits- White Leg

Hermits- Hawaiian Blue Eye

Feather Duster- Carribean

Feather Dusters- Cocoworm, Colored

Star- Sand Sifting, S- L

Star- Sand Sfting Yellow, L

Star- Brittle, banded or black

Star- Serpent, banded/harliquin

Star- Chocolate Chip(not reef safe)- M

Star- Chocolate Chip(not reef safe)- L

Star- Chocolate Chip, Red

Star- Linckia, Dalmation, Red

Star- Linckia, Blue

Star- Red Fromia

Cucumber- Mexican Sand Sifting

Cucumber- Tiger Tail Sand Sifting

Cucumber- Pink and Yellow Filter Feeding

Cucumber- Sea Apple

Slug- Sea Hair

Slug- Assorted Nudibranchs

Anemone- Maxi Mini Carpet- Colored

Anemone- Maxi Mini Carpet- Ultra

Anemone- Green Bubbletip

Anemone- Rose Bubbletip, M

Anemone- Sebae

Anemone- Long Tentacle Green

Shrimp- Coral Banded, M

Shrimp- Coral Banded, Gold

Shrimp- Coral Banded, Purple

Shrimp- Anemone

Shrimp- Sexy

Shrimp- Peppermint

Shrimp- Cleaner, Skunk M

Shrimp- Cleaner, Skunk XL

Shrimp- Fire, L

Shrimp- Harlequin, L

Shrimp- Pistol, Candy Cane

Shrimp- Mantis, Peacock

Crab- Emerald

Crab- Sally Light Foot

Crab- Anemone

Crab- Decorator, Spider

Crab- Decorator, Arrow

Crab- Porcelin

Snails- Astrea

Snails- Astrea, Ninja Star

Snails- Red Moon

Snails- Nerite

Snails- Margarita Turbos

Snails- Cerith. S

Snails- Cerith. L

Snails- Zebra Turbos

Snails- Mexican Turbos

Snails- Indo Turbos

Snails- Nassarius, Black

Snails- Nassarius, Vibex L

Snails- Nassarius, Tongan XL

Snails- Nassarius, Chestnut Jumbo

Snails- Trochus, Tiger/Red Banded

Snails- Trochus, White Banded

Snails- Bumble Bee

Conch- Tiger Sand

Conch- Spider

Urchin- Long Spine

Urchin- Short Spine

Urchin- Pincushion, Orange/Black/White, L

Urchin- Pincushion, Royal, S

Urchin- Pencil

Cowrie- Money

Scallop- Flame

Clam- Maxima- 2-4"- Ultra Teardrop

Clam- Crocea- 2.5-3.5" Ultra Various

Clam- Squamosa- 2.4"-4.5", Ultra Various

Clam- Maxima- Ultra Tahitian 6"

I'm trying to do somthing today. It would be nice to stop down at TPA as it's been quite some time since ive been there but I would have to plan that in advance. Interested in snails. I won't die without'em and my tank won't crash I just recently got rid of a snail eating, Picasso killing hitchhiker crab and just want to start replenishing my cuc my hermits did ok and some snails managed to survive but I do need to start gathering snails at some point.

I'm trying to do somthing today. It would be nice to stop down at TPA as it's been quite some time since ive been there but I would have to plan that in advance. Interested in snails.

You would likely pay more locally even if you paid for your drive to tpa. As far as best selection locally you're looking at swf.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ya I go there for odds and ends mainly salt and emergency things (since WSA closed) when I can't wait to order as they're close to my school. They only have a few of the "gray tubs" (like SWF's tubs) with some of the main snails and crabs. However they're store is a bit on the expensive side to be blatently honest even when compared to others in the area. But I do frequent it. Thanks Everybody I was just wondering and it sounds like SWF is the place locally if I was to do it today. Hope you all have a good time at the meeting/frag swap.

If it tells you anything I usually end up drivein 150 miles round trip to TPA (whistle) Best prices and if you are looking for corals and inverts by far the best quality and selection I have seen.

The metro seems to have lost most of the LFS lately :( If you would like anything specific in portland I would suggest calling ahead. I have been very disapointed by going in to the shops and not finding the snails and crabs I wanted.

Ive went thia route before and was extremely happy with my order' date=' actually got dozens more animals then i even ordered[/quote']

I also ordered from reefcleaners, and they did send tons of snails. My only issue was some of them are REALLY SMALL so they get sucked up easily when i'm cleaning. I personally prefer turbos and larger snails. I always found what I needed at SWF or OIAB as I don't really travel too far south to TPA but need to plan a trip out!