72 Rapid LED DIY

Toby Flenderson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey toby been reading your post on the rapidled kit and i have been contemplating buying there kit just had a couple questions for you. I have a 265 its 8ft long 30in deep what would you recommend. how many heat sinks do you think i should go with and what lengths? i saw that someone on here had posted that there was a 30in heat sink do you think i could get away with three of those? and how many leds would you go per heatsink? I dont have any coral right now but plan to in the future just done alot of good reading on leds and dont get me wrong i love my halides but the heat that they put out and the electric bill is crazy any advice i would appreciate it thanks.

hey toby been reading your post on the rapidled kit and i have been contemplating buying there kit just had a couple questions for you. I have a 265 its 8ft long 30in deep what would you recommend. how many heat sinks do you think i should go with and what lengths? i saw that someone on here had posted that there was a 30in heat sink do you think i could get away with three of those? and how many leds would you go per heatsink? I dont have any coral right now but plan to in the future just done alot of good reading on leds and dont get me wrong i love my halides but the heat that they put out and the electric bill is crazy any advice i would appreciate it thanks.

Nothing negative to report about LEDs yet, I love the results. As far as planning your build I could give you suggestions but really i'm not the most qualified to do so. I would email or call rapid led and talk to there techs. They know what they are talking about and can help design a package that suits your needs. I would also recommend talking to bill at reef led lighting as well. Never hurts to get another perspective so you can make an informed decision. Cant wait to see the results!

• 3 weeks later...
Really wanting to update this project with pictures of my nice new canopy but it's still not done(flame). I've been in email contact with this guy but still havnt seen any proof that this has even been started. Not sure what to do here. Getting impatient.

Well that sucks bud. It's been at least a month now hasn't it?

That's so frustrating! I hate stuff like that. Let's make a house call lol

I know, giddy up. It's double annoying because he's actually a nice guy and it's a super good deal but [language filter], not sure when to pull the plug. Oh well, I guess this would be the definition of a first world problem.

On another note. I'm getting some noticeable growth and coloration since I've started with the LED's. I have a frag that I'm using as a bench mark and it has fully encrusted the plug and gone from a creamy color to purple with neon green polyps so far. Also my stylo which I got from SWF Is getting its bright pink back after turning green with my old lights. (clap)

I added the 6 blues to my UV strip heatsink and is just enough to take out that hint of yellow and also looks great at night. Pretty much just really pleased with my tank overall right now.

IMG_0280_zps98c840f9.jpg

83554c7115dfc5d986ed99e3075e998a.jpg

590d462f30ced567ad46e5e8f578a6b8.jpg

BADASS!!! The color rendition and growth indicators are gosh darn awesome. Great thread.

Thank you. Thank you

So very cool, I got an email with pictures of the top. It will be done Sunday. I have my lights currently 19" above water line at 95%, now they will be at 12" above water. Anyone have any input on weather or not I should dim the lights at all? Or just leave it?

e58cf30be664a17975f2c4e3fffcdb57.jpg

fd443f9b4539f86fb2d1581b36194fdd.jpg

I would dim - not that I own a powerful LED setup like yours, but take into consideration PAR values measured in other threads/studies - 7" doesn't seem like much but readings from various posts/fixture companies show height of fixture and light reach into water depth would indicate "closer to the light, the more light there is". Back them off at a ratio equivalent to the distance to be safe - your lights will be lower by 1/3 your overall distance to the top of the water. Back them off 30% and ramp up as observationally required by the animals - plausibly erring to the side of caution...

$.02

Wow, I'm getting the itch to try LED's again after following this thread. James, any thoughts of putting a separate dimmable driver for the reds or maybe greens if you added those later? After reading a bunch on the Radions, it seems like it would be a cool idea to be able to trim those if you needed to.

Wow' date=' I'm getting the itch to try LED's again after following this thread. James, any thoughts of putting a separate dimmable driver for the reds or maybe greens if you added those later? After reading a bunch on the Radions, it seems like it would be a cool idea to be able to trim those if you needed to.[/quote']

Must have missed this Bill sorry. So far i haven't needed to dim the reds or greens at all. I really don't notice a big difference but the way i have it set up at the end of the day its just blue red and green going and what i notice the most is how brilliant these colors make the fish appear. I have done side by side comparisons though and there is a definite perceptible difference in the over all color of the tank and coral with W/B/R/G on one side and just W/B on the other. Wish i could capture a good photo of it but it doesnt really work.

Well !&"@$. Got my canopy last night. Bunch of things wrong with it right off the bat but no big deal, didn't say anything. I'm not going to wait another 2 months for repair. Well the guy leaves and after stripping my old hood off I go to put the new one on and it and it doesn't fit! (flame) like literally unusable. Thumbs down for Ramel Stark. If I would have given someone the same money to punch me in the face it would have been faster and been less agrovating. Put my old hood back together after a couple hours last night. I'm not much of a carpenter but I'm going to make my own now. (gavel) I'm laughing now but man I was P O'ed last night.

Well !&"@$. Got my canopy last night. Bunch of things wrong with it right off the bat but no big deal' date=' didn't say anything. I'm not going to wait another 2 months for repair. Well the guy leaves and after stripping my old hood off I go to put the new one on and it and it doesn't fit! (flame) like literally unusable. Thumbs down for Ramel Stark. If I would have given someone the same money to punch me in the face it would have been faster and been less agrovating. Put my old hood back together after a couple hours last night. I'm not much of a carpenter but I'm going to make my own now. (gavel) I'm laughing now but man I was P O'ed last night.[/quote']

No way!!! That's horrible. The ones he showed me must have been Internet pics I bet. Sorry to hear. We have a full wood shop at work let me know if you need anything

Dude, that sucks! I'd be rather ticked off too. I'm with Arminius on seeing what can be done to salvage it, or I guess just starting over. My brother has a supreme woodshop and skills, and a double kegerator, and would likely enjoy us hanging out while he whipped something up just for the company if you're interested in trying it yourself.

No way!!! That's horrible. The ones he showed me must have been Internet pics I bet. Sorry to hear. We have a full wood shop at work let me know if you need anything

Thanks, I've got plenty of tools but this might be the excuse I'm looking for to get a table saw finally.

Hey Toby - how close is the fit of the other hood? It might be able to be repaired/modified. I can help walk you though it or you are welcome to bring it over so tools are available.

The fit was way off, probably could have done somthing to make it temperary but there were several things about it that bothered me so might as well start over. I'm sure I'll have a few questions for you though. (whistle)

Dude' date=' that sucks! I'd be rather ticked off too. I'm with Arminius on seeing what can be done to salvage it, or I guess just starting over. My brother has a supreme woodshop and skills, and a double kegerator, and would likely enjoy us hanging out while he whipped something up just for the company if you're interested in trying it yourself.[/quote']

Yes that did suck, I was so jazzed about LEDs after the meeting and looking forward to getting everything all set up and then it was all over. Anyway I'm over it. Just proves, you get what ou pay for, and what's another good one? Oh, if you want somthing done right do it your self! (rock2)(rock2)

Ask away, Toby. It also seems there are plenty others that seem gosh darn handy here as well.

Can lend a hand when I have the time as well. Just getting back into the swing of things after the scare with my pops, but I have to spend a lot of time on the computer, so the forum is up on my desktop like 10-16 hours a day.