72 Rapid LED DIY

Toby Flenderson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Matt. Might pick your brain later on the controller functions if thats ok.

Got the lights hung last night. They are pretty much awesome. I did the initial test with all channels on 100%. The color result is defiantly too white. I cracked open the drivers for the cool whites and dialed down the amperage slowly and I'm getting a really nice 15k-16k right now.(clap) Going through the differnt modes, the all royal blue mode is amazing, all of the corals are like a black light poster. The other channel with just blues and red and greens and has a super nice actinic color to it. Colors are blending perfectly so far. I don't have any optics installed yet so this will be a good opportunity this week to add and mess around with them. Here's a few iPhone pics.

All channels on post dial down

A2B09194-BC40-4E82-B98A-288F1F5B858B-4276-000002170D529B82.jpg

Blues only, reminds me of my college dorm room

9E9D862F-57DF-40B3-AAC4-290A0437903B-4276-0000021722943F1D.jpg

Cool whites

3EE8C1E3-EA32-45DC-BBD3-4E7080360463-4276-000002172C03F5FA.jpg

no more halide ballasts, t5!(rock2).. Looking very empty under the tank. All this wiring will be nicely loomed later.

B00113A8-C592-4D83-A4F1-9ECADB918004-4276-000002175CAE4A7D.jpg

thanks, ive got the whites turned down and so far today i am just running the blue/green/red string this morning at 50%.I was originally planning to use my reefkeeper to control this but ive heard mixed reviews. I am using the rapid led controller (which has pre programmed sunrise and sunset ramps) which i need to explore some more now that everything is set up.

You have great color balance with your build, very nice :)

Any plans for the newly found space under the tank.

I don't know about under the tank. I have it plumbed to the basement so everything is super quiet around the display tank, I love it. The ballasts opened up even more real estate down there. The plan was to get all the wires cleaned up and make my supplies, food ect a bit more organized but I guess I could get more creative.

Side note, pretty warm today. I ran the daylight program for 8 hours at 50% intensity and when I got home my tank was chillin at 79 degrees. Thank you LEDs

All the corals are doing great under the light so far. Only hitch is I found a red bug so I'm treating with interceptor as I write this. (flame)

I made one change to the lighting. On my old schedule I had a 454 T5 that would stay on from 7 am to 9pm so the tank was partially lit when the haides were off. It was so dark in there this morning I felt bad for the fish so I took the two strings of LEDs that were blues with red and greens and wired those to the non dimmable 700ma drivers (they included free with my order). They now follow my same t5 schedule using my reefkeeper to control. And the strings fade in and out with the rapid led controller......if that makes any sense.

So far i have been running no optics and building intensity. Well today i grabbed the baggies of lenses and started to snap on and off different combos of colors. I didn't think the optics would make that much of a visual difference. I was under the impression that it would spot light a bit more and increase par but the overall increase of light output is ridiculous. (clap) I started with just the blues and ran them side by side with and without and it was one side was cranked up to 200%! I am running 60 degree lenses on all the blues now and 80 degree on several of the whites on each side and it looks so much better. All of a sudden all the polyps are swaying fully extended. Im going to take some side by side comparison pics, hopefully they turn out.

So far i have been running no optics and building intensity. Well today i grabbed the baggies of lenses and started to snap on and off different combos of colors. I didn't think the optics would make that much of a visual difference. I was under the impression that it would spot light a bit more and increase par but the overall increase of light output is ridiculous. (clap) I started with just the blues and ran them side by side with and without and it was one side was cranked up to 200%! I am running 60 degree lenses on all the blues now and 80 degree on several of the whites on each side and it looks so much better. All of a sudden all the polyps are swaying fully extended. Im going to take some side by side comparison pics' date=' hopefully they turn out.[/quote']

Awesome! Now feel free to build one for my 40 breeder haha

im really excited to see some growth pics. Ive been contemplating putting some of these over my future 240g build. Keep us posted' date=' looks great by the way.[/quote']

The intensity won't be at its final point for another week or to so during acclimation so I'm stating the growth clock when they are. I'll try to do monthly pics to show progress. If you havnt see mattv's thread on his LEDs he has some nice growth shots. Good luck with the 240.

Things are going well in the tank, I'm happy with my new open rock work and i have added about 8 or 9 frags (including 2 different really nice deep water acros) that ive been growing in the frag tank to the display tank to fill in. Just ordered a 12 UV led kit tonight. Looking forward to seeing how this will effect the lighting. Anyone else running UV?

IMG_0299_zpsbf815fdd.jpg

IMG_0268_zpsc5e6f44e.jpg

lol' date=' I just edited more post after i read your comment. Although that is always a good excuse to get the iphone 5...... Or just wait 3 weeks till the 5s comes out[/quote']

Haha isn't that the truth! I think I'm jumping off the iPhone train and getting the new razr or whatever comes out soon. First time in like 4 years I won't have a Jesus phone

Not to crash your thread but i'm really leaning towards a DIY LED set-up. Question is my tank is 70"l by 36" by 24" How would I go about it one HUGE square pendant or multiple smaller pendants, I'd

want them equal to 400w MH's, as most seem to be more or less equal to 250w MH's Just wondering if someone could give me some direction. Thanks

Not to crash your thread but i'm really leaning towards a DIY LED set-up. Question is my tank is 70"l by 36" by 24" How would I go about it one HUGE square pendant or multiple smaller pendants, I'd

want them equal to 400w MH's, as most seem to be more or less equal to 250w MH's Just wondering if someone could give me some direction. Thanks

Might be easier to break it up into separate panels. I'm not even sure the make them that big. Are you going to have a canopy or covering over the tank? If your looking for 400watt mh you can always add extra panels of white LEDs with optics that can be programmed to come on for a couple hours a day and make a "high noon". I'm hoping other will chime in too though.

This kit was much easier, it came with stick on thermal pads enstead of glue or grease. It was also drilled and tapped. I've got 6 unused slots so I could get crazy and add some cyan or other colors to mess with. Important tip, don't try to tin your LEDs when the are attached to the heatsink, they don't heat up and it doesn't work. I had to take them all off. Kind of a pain.(flame)

DB15FA03-8F4B-4D7B-8248-1D66FA87870A-748-0000004050D0879C_zps9e5d6bd6.jpg

D243CF16-E099-43B6-8458-BEE63E17170D-748-00000040466ED784_zpsb4dfd903.jpg

6EF7A417-C098-47DC-9AF9-A508148FB561-748-000000403B4A4050_zps91ba1cd8.jpg

3D8266B8-567D-4757-B7B4-4166F062C2AD-748-000000411B583C13_zpsb5818a03.jpg