Question for the masses?

Michael7979

Should I sell off all my livestock and start from scratch?

I really want to do things right.

-I feel I can do things better, (ie. rock work, plumbing, lighting, larger fuge/sump, etc.), if I started the tank from scratch.

-Also I want to get a larger tank but space in the house is somewhat limited.

-There just seems to be so much that I could fix/change IMO if I had an empty tank to start with.

-Remove some rock that has poylps and/or mushrooms on them.

Some of you have seen my tank and I know the majority have not but I want all of your opinions.

Some details:

Equipment:

5ft Tru-vu acrylic tank

dual 400w pfo ballast with 20k raduims

4 110w vho bulbs w/ Icecap 660

Euro-Reef skimmer(model# unknown)

45 gallon sump refugium

Corals:

Mostly SPS with a couple LPS and some ricordea, that would be my goal.

Fish:

Doliatus rabbit

Red Sea sailfin tang

Bullseye/target mandrain goby

LMB

Red wrasse (social fairy wrasse, I believe)

Solarensis Wrasse (I believe, just added him yesterday and I haven't seen him again)

Misc.:

crabs, conches, snails, and a serpent star

Would love to double the tank size and increase flow along with some new rock and rock-work.

Please let me know what you think! Any and all opinions welcome!

I know you and I differ in pretty much everything we think...But I am doing this same thing...except I am going down in size.

I have learned so much from having a big tank and I think I can make some dramatic changes and the best way to go about this is to start pretty much from scratch. So I think you will achieve better results and the results you are looking for.

IMO I would not sell your stock. Just move them to some holding tanks, plan ahead, spend the weekend, and pimp your tank as you please. Then reintroduce the stock.

Holding tanks can be cheap rubbermaids from HD. It doesn't have to be expensive. The corals will do fine for a few days without light as long as there is some water flow for surface agitation.

Your going to have to tear out have the stuff to get the fish out anyways, why not do it all at once?

Iv'e done this a few times, always went well for me.

HTH

We took our 120 down, picked up a bigger tank and plan to use the same stuff we had (most of it anyway) in favor of doing the same thing. Our livestock is sitting in a 100 gal stock tub we picked up at wilco in Silverton for 50ish. We have a very makeshift "light bar" that our halides are mounted to and 1 pump split to 1 sea swirl (with a really cool little gadget we picked up at Advanced on the end) and the skimmer. Everybody made the move to that ok, we're losing a couple small pieces only because our Allen's had decided he didn't like where we'd put things. This is the same stock tank we used when moving that tank up from eugene, we just popped everyone from that tank in there until their home was usable again.

Questions

So are you going to keep the tank in the same location?

What size tank are you thinking of? What do you want to upgrade to?

Are you bord with whats in your tank now? If not keep or trade pieces.

Can you use most of what you have if you upgraded to bigger tank?

You are the only one that can answer your question. The biggest factor that comes to my mind is the money. Since I am just starting out, I add pieces as the cash comes in. If you are set on cash, and you want to do everything differently, then I would benifit from you parting out all your stuff at a discount.

I am trying to plan ahead and get equipment that would work for both this current tank, and a possible future upgrade.

It seems that people are not happy no matter what they have. Some with smaller tanks want larger ones. Then there is a critical mass where people with larger tanks long for the simplicity of smaller tanks. You are never going to win on the size thing. My true oppinion is to empty your tank into a holding bucket like pcsdlszer did for a week or so and then work what you have into the shape that you want it. Whatever you don't want you should sell, or donate to others. Waste not, want not.

dsoz :)

If money is no objective and you are not attached to your live stock (I always do get attached and would hate to sell my fish), I guess starting over would be great.

If you have room for two tanks temporarily, and the new tank isn't going into the same location, I'd keep everything and just change/add the things you feel you need to make this one better.

Questions

So are you going to keep the tank in the same location?

1 What size tank are you thinking of?

2 What do you want to upgrade to?

3 Are you bord with whats in your tank now? If not keep or trade pieces.

4 Can you use most of what you have if you upgraded to bigger tank?

To answer your questions........

1 Tank will go in 'roughly' the same spot, unless much bigger

2 would like something in the 180-250 range

3 no not bored....unhappy

4 yes alot can be used if I go with a larger tank

So thank you all for your time and answers.............looks like I should start to look for a larger tank!

KEEP THE IDEAS/ANSWERS COMING.

Start Over!!

If you know exactly what you don't want (sounds that it is what you have right now). Just start all over and do what you really want, rock by rock , snail by snail. The satisfaction of doing it right is unsurpassed. Unhappiness is not an acceptable alternative. Let me know if I can help you unload some of your life stock, I'll be happy to let some of it grow , vacation in my tank while you decide if you want to put it back or not! :D

Start over.

Study thread and books for a month. Plan for a month. Then, break it all down. Sell all but your favorite sps colonies. Have some friends you trust coralsit. Use your monies to buy most of the new warrantied equipment for your new 200 g envision acrylic tank. Take your time plumbing and get it figured out right the first time. Buy new high quality premium cured rock or high quality dead rock to avoid pests. Test your circ system and get your rock placed to optimize it. Wait and stabilize parameters. Then, start stocking with new fish, new corals, etc.

Another thing, consider a biotope tank. SPS from a certain region might be a more advanced goal in reefkeeping. It is your tank but you might want to go for the natural look. Read Tullock if that interests you.

Joel

Wow, start over or upgrade? That's a pretty big question to be asking *us*

I'd say if you don't know why you want to make changes, it probably isn't the right time to make them. Change for change's sake doesn't make sense to me. I'd suggest just keep thinking on it and planning possibilities, but don't jump until you know exactly what problem you're trying to solve.

Well I woke up this morning to find my Doliatus Rabbitfish DEAD!!! (flame)

So this is the final straw the tank will be coming down soon. And I'll try to rebuild ASAP.(God willing........Won't be long). Looking for a sitter for a couple things that I wish to keep, (waiting for an answer). After I find out if this is possible..........I'll start a 'for sale' thread or give stuff to LFS.

Maybe I'll luck out and find the BIGGER tank I want in the mean time, if not I guess I rebuild the 100.

Wish me luck...............I guess................