Shutting the clownhouse down

Barelycuda

Hello All,

There are a few people that know but most of you don't know that I am shutting the clownhouse down. I actually should rephrase and say I have completely sold the entire setup. All 3 systems, fish, and broodstock are moving to Tigard to a new home. I have a 13 year old daughter and an 11 year old son and have been involved with sports with them 5-6 days a week and do not see an end in sight for quite for possibly years to come til they go to college and move out. They will not be around forever and it is very important to me to be involved as much as I can and it is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain the fish.

I was approached by a person a few weeks ago with the passion to breed fish that I had a few years ago. He wanted to start breeding clownfish with the hopes of selling them and having a small business. This just happened to fall right into place as I was initially planning on shutting one system down now and then the juveniles I had in the clownhouse would have been sold by the first of the year and I would have shut that one down also as well as the broodstock. After talking with Jaime for a week or so we came up with an agreement to sell the entire operation as it sits today, fish and all. The first system will move today with the other 2 systems moving over the next few weeks. I think that Jaime can continue to provide the area with the same quality of fish that I have been able to provide as well as expand the business outside of the metro area which I don't really have the time to do. He will have the same setup and broodstock I was working with so it is completely up to him. While the spawning pairs will probably need some time to re-acclimate and start spawning again he is acquiring spawning, Ocellaris, B&W Ocellaris, True Percula, Onyx Percula, Cinnamon, Neon Gobies, and Picasso's. He is anxous to breed them all and I think that in no time he will have more fish than I ever did.

While I am relieved that it is moving on I am also going to miss it. When I started over 4 years ago I did not ever imagine that it would turn out like this. I have met some incredible people because of this business and those friendships are very valuable to me. You will continue to see me around probably more frequently as I might have some time to get my breeding reports put together and share some of my experiences with others that are wanting to engage in this area of the hobby. I have successfully bred 13 different species of fish, successfully raising and selling all but 2(both of which I lost one of the broodstock before I was successful at getting the larva through metamorphasis). With this I feel I have accomplished what very few others will in this hobby and it does make me happy when I think that I have raised and sold over 10,000 fish that were not unnecessarily taken from the ocean.

Thank you for everyone that helped me along the way and I do want to say thank you especially to one person. Thank you Matt Pedersen, if it wasn't for you I know that I would not have done some the things I have accomplished. I was happy breeding a couple pairs of clowns until I met you and you sparked an interest in breeding and sharing with others that I did not have before. If it wasn't for sharing our TFT program at the MCMAC conference I few years ago I would have never met you and for that I very happy that we met and become friends.

I am sad to hear that you are closing but it sounds like it is for all of the right reasons. I have been very happy with the fish I have gotten from you and love all you have done for the TFT program. Good luck going forward and I look forward to seeing what you put togather as far as your notes on breeding fish go. You have acomplished a lot and have lots to be proud of (clap)

Sad to hear you are selling it but I'm so glad we had so many opportunities to come see it and talk with you. I hope you enjoy all the time you will have with your kids in the future I know how quickly they grow up. One of mine just graduated and I've been very lucky to be able to stay home with him and enjoy his childhood with him. I'm also glad we had a chance to get a wonderful pair of clowns from you.

WOW, well I can say that you have always been a great guy to deal with, and have certainly spoiled us all with top of the line Clowns. I'm so happy with my picassos and cherish them even more now. Will you have any extra equitment afterwards, or is every item possible going with the sale? Just thought i'd ask. Good luck with your future endevors. You should write a book.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to see the clown house is gone but I wish u well. All the clowns I got from u are doing great.. even through our move across town but my breeding tanks aren't set up yet.. I'm sad but I have no way to keep them cool in this heat.. no windows in the garage.... and I need a few more tanks... for the mass breeding....too bad your set up is gone. Id have loved to get some of it... sad me.....

Sorry to see the clown house is gone but I wish u well. All the clowns I got from u are doing great.. even through our move across town but my breeding tanks aren't set up yet.. I'm sad but I have no way to keep them cool in this heat.. no windows in the garage.... and I need a few more tanks... for the mass breeding....too bad your set up is gone. Id have loved to get some of it... sad me.....

If you get a box fan and have it blow air directly onto the surface of the water it will cool down your tank. It does this through evaporation though so be ready to do top offs. :)