SWC vs Reef Dynamics

bswe22

With a forty, you would only need the SWC 120.

Here is a good link of the teardown on SWC skimmers. Be advised that I often hear of people scrambling to find replacement atman pumps, so just be forewarned that it happens to some people (but some people never have problems).

Which skimmer should I get? They both look good but I can't decide between the two. What does everybody think? It will be used on a 40B with a 20 gallon sump. Thanks for your input!!!

I wouldn't buy neither of those skimmers. If your looking for a solid skimmer get an sro skimmer. They are hands down the best bang for the buck right now in the skimmer market. The swc is okay to and used to be a good competitor for reef octopus but now with the new bubble blaster pumps they are falling behind.

I talked with the owner of SWC in Canada a couple of years ago. They were importing some products but also had a full shop with 4 CNC machines. My SWC Ca reactor is identical to the Octopus reactor. They used to make/design a number of CoralVue/Octopus items. The owner said, with not a little distaste in his voice, that they had instituted a lawsuit against CoralVue/Octopus.

I talked with the owner of SWC in Canada a couple of years ago. They were importing some products but also had a full shop with 4 CNC machines. My SWC Ca reactor is identical to the Octopus reactor. They used to make/design a number of CoralVue/Octopus items. The owner said' date=' with not a little distaste in his voice, that they had instituted a lawsuit against CoralVue/Octopus.[/quote']

Was he going to hook you up with some of good live rock wall too? (whistle)

I have heard good things about swc

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I got to say SWC, I use one and mine has the laguna pump.

Wasn't the rumor SWC owner worked for coral vue and stole their plans/designs or something and moved to Canada to avoid prosecution(scary)

Thats what the LFS told me, regardless true or not I'm an SWC user, although I did almost buy the SRO 5000 for my current build. I have heard great things about the bubble blaster.

I'd be willing to bet that SWC or Reef Octo would mop up the floor with the reef dynamics-but thats jusy my opinion(whistle)

Thanks for all the input!! I just installed the SWC 120 in my sump. I had to put it on a few pieces of egg crate to get the water depth correct. It is sitting in 7 inches of water now. How do you adjust it? There really aren't and instructions with it. I know it will need a few days to break in, do I close everything during this time? If I open everything up the collection cup will fill up. (scratch)

Thanks for all the input!! I just installed the SWC 120 in my sump. I had to put it on a few pieces of egg crate to get the water depth correct. It is sitting in 7 inches of water now. How do you adjust it? There really aren't and instructions with it. I know it will need a few days to break in' date=' do I close everything during this time? If I open everything up the collection cup will fill up. (scratch)[/quote']

depends what you mean by "open"

The pipe that holds the silencer is what you should turn that "opens" or closes the pipe that allows more water to exit the return pipe. When its open,more water returns to the sump so lees water will fill the skimmer an cup.

I would adjust it to the point the top fien bubble are just bnelow the neck of the collection cup.

Hopefully it has a drain to hook a hose to in case it over flows.

Keep the water level (bubble level) low like I mentioned in case it goes crazy over noght and does not overflow (been there a few times)

other than that it should be just a matter of fine tuning as long as the water level in you sump is a consistant level which is key

I think I found recommended depths for each model on thier website IIRC. Mine is supposed to be in 6"-7" of water (SWC 250a) I would personally leave the adjustment pipe fully open at first and fine tune based on how it reacts in your setup over the course of several days.