Bored808's 55g "ghetto setup"

bored808

So approx. a year ago, i met Trautman via craigslist cuz he posted his 55g drilled aga tank for sale.

It was perfect timing so i picked it up right away.

well a year has passed, and lights skimmers and various other things have gone through and been redid to what it is now...

and its super ghetto lol

oh and just fyi, names and me never go good, so lots of my corals/parts of my tank are not gonna be remembered xp

Tank size:

55g AGA drilled display

20g long DIY sump

Flow:

Return pump:... lol gotta look at the box

Circ. pump: Hydor Koralina 425gph (only remembered cuz i still have the box in the room)

Lighting:

1x 250w 20k halide pfo magnetic balast

2x 46.5" vho t8 system

1x homdepot fixture with a 32w cfl

Filtration:

Skimmer... lol uhh idk the name, maybe u guys can help if i get a pic of the skimmer brand symbol

Macro algae up the ying yang

Carbon and purigen

Thats the basic set up.

now for pictures!

IMG_9751.jpg

thats the corner designated to the tank

IMG_8408.jpg

sump w/ skimmer

IMG_6763.jpg

name that brand (?)

IMG_6867-2.jpg

macro algae forest

IMG_0345.jpg

left side

IMG_7213.jpg

middle w/ awkward shadow from middle divider and placement of mh light

IMG_7532.jpg

right

anyway yeah thats the basic gist of my tank if you guys got questions let me know

if u guys like anything... we should trade!!

No prob' date=' Wish you lived closer I'd by some of that red macro from ya.[/quote']

lol u want some?

i'll throw u some if u wanna meet me in either salem tomorrow or wait for like mid to late next week, im always in portland -.-

what chu looking for?

anything my tang will eat and/or that grows fast enough for nutrient export. I have prolifera growing now and will have chaeto tomorrow (from Jeramy at the meeting), but my tang eats veggies voraciously, so any caulerpa or really anything non-calcareous would be money.

like I said, also looking for nutrient export

anything my tang will eat and/or that grows fast enough for nutrient export. I have prolifera growing now and will have chaeto tomorrow (from Jeramy at the meeting), but my tang eats veggies voraciously, so any caulerpa or really anything non-calcareous would be money.

like I said, also looking for nutrient export

okay, well pm me your number as well, might be able to pull some random macro for u

Hey Kip nice "Ghetto setup" (clap) As far as the double posts' date=' there's something up with the server. Some day I hope to get it fixed... :). What are all the post it notes on the side of the tank about! Good job putting together a tank on budget![/quote']

I gotta say i owe a ton to badxgillen. He helped me and my tank out from waaaaay back lol

Ah okay as long as it isnt me messing up with the double post, im okay with it!

the post its are little notes to myself for example, do homework instead of stare at fishtank

if not, i tend to forget... everything lol i swear i have amnesia

Cool tank man. I have almost the same lighting as you do (+175 14k) in my 72 bowfront.

Nice dude, i kinda wish i had a 72 bowfront, but idk if the space i have would have allowed for it

Nice post it notes Kip. Do you draw pictures on them?

ro "no d" ger... yes i draw on them all the time, i like to draw pictures of me with my buddies at TPA from time to time. lol

Oh and i've been meaning to ask,

is there any anthias or school/shoaling fish that could work for my 55g?

im hoping to get about 3 or so of them

Maybe not Anthias but you could do Cromis. But if they don't have any one to pick on them they may not shoal all the time :)

You could drop the red marco here for both LC Scott and Burningbaal if you want. Let me know I'll PM you my #

Okay, I pm'd LC Scott, and got no response, and i will be meeting Burningbaal tomorrow i think thanks though :)

Maybe not Anthias but you could do Cromis. But if they don't have any one to pick on them they may not shoal all the time :)

haha okay i will think about cromis, theyre pretty cheap which is nice

You could probably do a trio of dispar anthias Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I've heard this too, kinda where i got the want for anthias, but I've also heard that i gotta have a bigger tank... i'll think it over

differnt fire fish' date='zebras,scissortail,and there are also a number of other varients out there as fara s some dart fish wich i think would work out for you.[/quote']

Hmm okay, maybe i'll have a heard of bar gobies like you!

Cardinals would also work.

I was thinking about getting cardinals, they also are pretty cool fish

Looking good Kip! Glad ot see a picture of the "Ghetto Tank" finally! Sweet looking setup buddy! As far as a trio goes' date=' you could go with Disbar Anthias, Firefish, Bar Gobies, Chromis, Cardinals, Flasher or Fairy Wrasses, etc. Lots of options :)[/quote']

Thank you for the compliments sir, you basically named all of my fish i was thinking about getting.

all are good suggestions' date=' but I'd recommend some firefish...purple if the budget alllows (reg ones seem to be about 15 each, purple usually ~$30each)[/quote']

Hmm okay not the biggest fan of firefish, but maybe they will grow on me

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,

got a buncha new corals i'll have to upload new pix soon

Archived