750 Gallon Reef, 1200 Gallon System, Join the Craziness!

oxx155

cant wait to see it! Always a great meeting

Should definitely be fun. Hopefully I can get more product donations rather than food donations this year, but I am appreciative of anything.

Wow it looks like it has come together nicely. Nice work Doug!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I definitely like the way its turning out.

Started last night dosing Kick-Ich to get rid of any Ich on my tangs. I should have waited a little longer before putting in corals so I could have dosed heavier, but ah well. Wish I had more room for a decent quarantine system also. I have never had ich before, so its a learning lesson. Also trying soaking all food in Selcon and Garlic. So far I only lost my Achilles, and only half the tangs seem to have any spots, but not taking any chances.

Lets hope it truly is Reef Safe and I don't lose anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran the Kick-Ich for a week but found that having my Protein Skimmer and Carbon off was almost worse than letting the Ich run its course. Had to quit half way through the 10 days or so I was supposed to dose, but I started my Protein Skimmer and Carbon back up just in time to keep an algae outbreak from happening.

I lost 4 tangs and a couple of other fish, but thankfully don't see anything else with Ich. I will continue to soak the food with Selcon and Garlic, and I am running my UV 24 hours a day.

Also started to run Ozone recently and plumbed the output right to my protein skimmer which seems to have increased the skimmer's production, so thats a nice bonus.

Now just getting into a regular maintenance rhythm and minor tweaking here and there. Should look pretty good by May.

I am currently installing a tank like this. I would be interested to see how you plumbed everything. Not really the sump so much as the tank. Closed loop, overflow, etc. And what pumps did you use? Also, maybe a pic or 2 of your hood/lighting setup along with the eurobrace style, i am interested to see how miracles did it. Thanks for the info!

I will apologize up front that my tank shooting skills are lacking and I have more to learn to get better shots. Also the glass needs to be cleaned better which may help the photos come out clearer, but with limited time this is what I shot.

Full Tank Shot

IMG_3157.jpg

Full Tank Shot from Back

IMG_3155.jpg

Door to equipment room, now seals off water and salt air from the rest of the house, fresh air is vented in and old air vented out every 15 minutes

IMG_3156.jpg

Need Power?

IMG_3154.jpg

Shot from above

IMG_3151.jpg

Overflow System

IMG_3147.jpg

Reeflo Barracuda plumbed directly to five 1" SeaSwirls provides 6,000gph return flow, has a one-way flow valve to keep the tank from draining

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

Would love to see a few close up pics of the corals!

Also, what are those platic crates you used under your rock & where can they be purchased?

I got the plastic crates from Jerry's Home Improvement, but you can probably get similar ones at Home Depot or any other hardware store. I cut out the center sections so the fish could swim through them. I also made sure to file down and sand it all so it wouldn't scratch or cut the fish.

I used crates on my previous system and found it offered tons of swimming space for fish, lots of hiding areas, and kept detritus moving instead of getting trapped under a pile of rocks.

I am currently installing a tank like this. I would be interested to see how you plumbed everything. Not really the sump so much as the tank. Closed loop' date=' overflow, etc. And what pumps did you use? Also, maybe a pic or 2 of your hood/lighting setup along with the eurobrace style, i am interested to see how miracles did it. Thanks for the info![/quote']

Included pics above that should help you out.

I use a Reeflo Barracuda as the main return. I don't like the thought of Closed-Loop because I just think so much could go wrong. I have a Reeflo Hammerhead that runs my UV, Chiller, and a separate tank for Chaeto.

I chose on the back external overflows so I would have max amount of room in the tank and no boxes disturbing the flow of water, I like them a lot and think its one of the best choices I made, also allows for easy cleaning of the overflows.

I love the Eurobracing that Miracles did, the tank is extremely sturdy, yet I can reach every nook and cranny very easily, I can even pick up a coral and carry it all the way across the tank without taking it out of the water or putting it down. It also allows for maximum light penetration. I do worry about fish jumping, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

I use six Eco-Vortech MP40's as added water flow in the tank. I am happy with the flow.

Glad to answer any other questions you may have that will help you.

Looking very good Doug! Sorry for your losses' date=' hope the ick makes it's way out of your tank.[/quote']

Ich seems under control. I am using Selcon and Garlic in the food. I also got some Cleaner Wrasse's. I don't see any fish any spots at this time.

FTS!

please?

I was able to get one for you, but I will clean the glass heavily soon and take some better shots.