750 Gallon Reef, 1200 Gallon System, Join the Craziness!

oxx155

That was such a cool video of the little guy in the reef tank =)

Thanks, its pretty hilarious to watch each time.

Look at that Merman! It's almost a baby size olympic swimming pool!

Just need to put Ecotech's on one end and you have a resistance pool, LOL, guess I do need to get him going now if he has any chance at the 2030 Olympics!

Truly will be a sight to behold! I'll bet that seemed like it took a lot longer than it actually did to fill up.

Actually it seemed to go quicker than I thought it would, about 4 hours with a hose. When I finally run RODI water, even with a 300gpd unit, it will take 4 days to fill up the whole system, LOL, and 28 bags of salt! Now that will seem like forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Created a wash out system for my skimmer lid

PA150073.jpg

PA200082.jpg

Auto Top Off System - 3 solenoid valves hooked up to the Apex. I have a level switch in the sump, if things go to low the solenoid on the far right opens and lets water run through the RODI. The other two solenoids determine if the water goes to the Kalk Reactor or directly into the sump. If the PH is high then the apex will open the solenoid to drain directly into the sump, if the PH is low the apex will open the solenoid to the Kalk Reactor. Anyway, hopefully this will keep my tank PH from going out of control and killing the tank again.

PA200084.jpg

Equipment in place

PA200081.jpg

Overflows plumbed

PA200080.jpg

THE BRAIN! I plan on running two probes of PH, ORP, Conductivity, and Temp on the Apex. I will also run a third backup with Pinpoint Monitors that I can check every once in a while in the fish room. I have a wireless controller for the Ecotechs. Controller for the AI SOL LEDs and Tunze Pumps. Lunar Controllers that will control 15 dimmable moon lights. and a Breakout Box to connect all the level switches (Sump Low, Sump High, Skimmer Full, RODI Tank High, RODI Tank Low).

PA200079.jpg

I am thinking about putting the sand and rock in this weekend. Then maybe during the week I will start filling with RODI water, will take 4 days.

Shweet!! Looks like it is coming along nicely! Make sure to mix your salt in before you add the sand since it is live sand. Looks pretty dang cool thus far Doug! I am impressed with the auto top off work. Also' date=' if you need salt, let me know. I am doing a nice big order that you could tag along with if you like :)[/quote']

Thanks, but I think I have enough salt right now. Might need more sand though and definitely cleaner crew soon.

I would not order Kegel Clamps. You might be surprised...(whistle)(whistle)(whistle)

You would say that, at least they hold nice and strong, LOL

Oh yeah.... love your rockscape!

Thanks!

Looking way awesome Douglas! I love the way you have done your rockwork. Very open yet lots of room to place corals!

It really needs to be seen in person, there is so much room that its scary how many corals I will be able to fit into this tank. And also amazing at how much open space I have for fish, inverts, and giant clams!

I put black crates in this time and am amazed at how well they are hidden even without corals and growth. Lots of arches, caves, and just tons of space.

It turned out better than I thought it would.

I am working on the captive fuge area - I tried pond plastic but it just doesn't look good. Does anyone have or know where I can get hard black plastic (like shower surround)? Maybe 1/16" thick. I would need four 24"x24" pieces and one 24"x36" piece.

I also filled my refugium with about 8" of sand and the captive fuge area with about 125 pounds of rock.

Filling with water this week and will hopefully start up the system by next weekend.

Is the black plastic going inside or out of the captive fuge? If on the outside then you could use laminent from Home Depot. They sell it in full 4x8 sheets or 2x4 sheets which would be perfect for your project. If its going on the inside you may may want to make sure there is no toxins that would leech off the laminent.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Holy cow!! Amazing!! Any chance you'd want to come to CG and do my rockwork? lol!

LOL, planning is key, if you can setup your rock ahead of time and play with ideas it will definitely help.

curiousity question: how much rock is in your display (lbs)? it looks like a lot, but a 1200 gallon system demands it.

plus 125 pounds in the fuge...I'm gonna have about 75 lbs in my whole system...wild.

I would guess somewhere around 800 pounds. It would seem like I have a lot more, but I use crates (I have cut out the sides) as the main structure support. I did this on my previous system and I think it helps not only with more room for the fish, but also helps with keeping the detritus moving and not getting trapped. I also like that I can look from the back and see if any fish are having issues or have died.

What is a "captive fuge"? Can you explain the different fuge sections you are using? What about a "cryptic zone" in your fuge' date=' I've been ready alot about them lately and would love to here your opinion.[/quote']

I guess I could be calling it wrong, but I believe a "captive fuge" is one in which only rock or sand exists, no other plant or animal, but allows organisms to grow free from predation. A "cryptic zone" or "cryptic fuge" is one which the area is devoid of light. So, I guess I might have a "captive cryptic fuge". But, I guess I could be all wrong, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong (and I have no problem with that).

Is the black plastic going inside or out of the captive fuge? If on the outside then you could use laminent from Home Depot. They sell it in full 4x8 sheets or 2x4 sheets which would be perfect for your project. If its going on the inside you may may want to make sure there is no toxins that would leech off the laminent.

The plastic would have to go on the inside. I am definitely looking at more options. I am not sure if the person at Home Depot could answer the question about leeching, LOL. I am sure someone out there knows.

Yeah that would be a concern of mine as well but I'm wondering if its the same stuff that's in a few of my older tanks? It looks like the same stuff even down to the ripples on the one side.

I'm wondering what's in the plastic that would make it "not food safe"? Any ideas?