I have a rant to share

CoralCrazy

So today I got a call from a friend who wanted to bring a new reefer to my house. Now my door is always open to anyone who wants to see my set ups or have questions. Anyhow. He tells me on the phone that she has a nice 60g set up with a sump and it has been running for 2 months. Then he tells me that a local shop(not a sponsor to our site) has sold her a red carpet anemone. So he brings her to my house with the nem. Now she has done alot of reading on the hobby which I could kiss her for. Well after talking to her for a very short time I find out that she has done no water changes since the start of her tank and she has 4 fish and a shrimp in it. I asked her about her lighting, what salt she is using, and she informed me she has a rodi system. So first I find out her tank is young and she doesnt have the lighting to support her new anemone. I told her she could keep it in my frag tank until she gets the right lighting and her tank is stable. I advised her to do weekly water changes. She had went to my friends place that he works at and she wanted to buy a tang. He asked about her system and told told her no. (this is why I got the call) So I got her nem out of the bag and put it into my tank and now I am even madder at the store. They didnt sell her a red carpet anemone they sold her a mini maxi carpet. They told her that it was rare and hard to find. She went on to inform me that no one has told her no about putting things in her tank until she showed up at my friends work place.

I guess my whole rant is sure I understand places want to make money but why not be honest and inform your customers instead of just trying to make a buck. Isn't it just better to have repeat customers instead of making that one big sale and then losing that person because you were greedy and couldn't be honest and inform them so they have a wonderful tank that they can enjoy instead of watching things die? So we have pointed her here to talk to everyone and I told her when her tank is ready to come by and get her nem and some frags to start her out.

I have enjoyed this hobby so much even with the bad things that happen that I would like to see anyone who starts a tank have a great experience. And if that means I share my failures with them so they don't make the same mistake then I am open to it. So when you all see the new person that asks a million questions please help her out. She is so excited to have a tank and I was so happy to tell her about this site and the wonderful people here that can help.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im glad your friend decided to help her out. If its the store im thinking of, part of their issue is that most of the staff has no idea on saltwater fish and corals. They need to be trained by you on proper saltwater fish store etiquette ;)

If it is the store I'm thinking of then they did the same thing to one of my customers, his tank has only been set up for about 1.5 months and he really wanted a nem and other stuff, I had him on a strict 3 month plan for him to safely get what he wants, well over the past week he has bought 3 nems and a couple fish, NOT FROM ME, not that I care ware he gets them, I just know he's NOT ready!! He only has 4 24inch VHO's over his tank, not nearly enough LR and this is his first attempt at saltwater. Irritating as hell!!!

The 'stuff dies sometimes' excuse that the store can make goes a long way with newbies and if the store gives back a little credit I think many people don't think twice about the issue. It's not like 90% of the stuff that goes into a tank too early dies so the stores can get away with it the vast majority of the time and avoids alienating an entire marketplace.

I feel bad for the 90% of the livestock that barely hangs on, doesn't grow and then the new keeper grows tired of their tank not flourishing and takes the whole thing down a year later.

Thanks for passing this information along Heather. Good news is maxi minis are a lot hardier than red carpet anemones bad news is she got seriously ripped off and I find it hard to believe it would have been an "honest mistake". She should go back to the store and get her money back.

Is it a pet store that also carries saltwater? I can see how someone who is an expert on puppy's wouldn't know a carpet from a maxi. Honestly though I think the intent does not really matter, they should not be selling animals that they know nothing about.

Is it a pet store that also carries saltwater? I can see how someone who is an expert on puppy's wouldn't know a carpet from a maxi. Honestly though I think the intent does not really matter' date=' they should not be selling animals that they know nothing about.[/quote']

Agreed, whether it was intentional or not. I would hope that it was a mistake by an employee who was not knowledgeable. I agree with not naming names publicly unless we hear both sides of the story and I am also not going to assume I know which store it is.

Agreed' date=' whether it was intentional or not. I would hope that it was a mistake by an employee who was not knowledgeable. I agree with not naming names publicly unless we hear both sides of the story and I am also not going to assume I know which store it is.[/quote']

Weird a kinder, more politically correct, company line type Kim? What the heck is going on here!

Weird a kinder' date=' more politically correct, company line type Kim? What the heck is going on here![/quote']

rofl I know as I typed it I thought is this really me typing it. I don't think it is the store you're thinking it is Doug. There are certain places you know I have strong opinions about but I did not base my opinions on one isolated episode.

Well you know there is that saying about "a dog" and "the sun"' date=' maybe today is that kinda day! And we get the "good" Kim![/quote']

What are you talking about?DOH! You get the "good" Kim everyday!(clap)(laugh)(laugh)

Today you just have the "my internal filter seems to have me on lockdown boring Kim" (laugh)

rofl I know as I typed it I thought is this really me typing it. I don't think it is the store you're thinking it is Doug. There are certain places you know I have strong opinions about but I did not base my opinions on one isolated episode.

Your right Kim, I could be wrong. It just sounded like such a familiar story that I may have made an assumption. :)

"Well after talking to her for a very short time I find out that she has done no water changes since the start of her tank and she has 4 fish and a shrimp in it."

Heather do you know what her parameter's were in her tank. With the amount of live stock she has in her tank I would guess that her nitrates were low and probably wouldn't need a water change.

"I advised her to do weekly water changes."

From what I can tell is that this is a fish only system for now and that there is no coral in it. It is really only recommended to do a 10-15% water change a month. If there is low nitrates that are detected in a FOWLER system then why bother to change the water this is a waste of money. It seems like most people like to overstock there tanks, me included, and need to do more frequent water changes to help with nitrates and other related issues. Everyone's tank is different and has different needs.

Most people in this hobby don't like to wait and be patient. I think some of the blame lye's on us as consumers as well, Do we go out and just buy the first car we look at just because the salesman says something about it that we wanted to hear/like? No I wouldn't, I personally would do a little research on it and then make a decision. How many times have we seen on this site that people go out and buy angelfish only to their dismay they are eating there prized coral. Although there are some rules to the exception most angels can and will nip corals

We can place blame where we want, but how can people complain when they have the whole world at there finger tips and its called the internet!!!! If we don't do our own home work then isn't the blame on us. I know when i go into a Lfs and see a fish that i want I make sure i go home and do some home work on it to make sure its a good match for my tank and all the rest of its tank mates. I agree that shops should be educated on the livestock that they carry and have some knowledge about it, but I think that as customers we need to do some research on our own.

I know when I started this hobby I didn't just set up a tank and then sat back and said what happens, happens. I knew that I better get some knowledge of what I was doing. For me that was asking as many questions at LFS and spending alot of time on the internet to find out what my tank needed and how that needed to be done.

What I want to know about the red carpet what was the price on it and was it priced accordingly? I did a search for red carpets and found a Mini red carpet at Atlantis Aquarium priced for $200.00. Most of the Red carpets that i am aware of sell for over 300.00 and most new people in the hobby would not ever consider buying one of these.

Heather truly i am not trying to hurt your thread or clutter it up in any way. I just think that there is usually more to the story than meets the eye.

NOTE: I edited for quotations

I think that if he sold her a mini max at the price of a red carpet nem then that is bull $#%* and that store should be put on blast.

It is up to us to do are home work before we buy, But if the store did that then it is just ripping someone off and that's crap.Please tell us what you payed

so we can make a choice to tell store's name or not.

My intent was not to post the stores name. I myself help out one of the LFS and alot of people ask me hundreds of questions about SW. I answer what I can then I point them here and to the internet and books for what I dont know. It just upset me that a store that sells anything doesnt take the time to atleast ask a couple questions of their customers to add a helping hand. If the customer doesnt take the help then shame on them. I have personally been to the store many times and from just what I have seen myself would never purchase any SW fish or corals from them. I have people come in all the time and ask questions to just ignore my advice. Those are the days I go home and try to forget my day. But for the person I am talking about she has spent time researching online and other sources to be educated as much as possible. I guess what bothers me the most is she was relying on her LFS to help her also. They sold her not only a mini maxi instead of a red carpet as they said but also a light that wont support it anyways. I personally believe if you own a business then you or your employees should atleast have the knowledge to help the customer. If I'm wrong then maybe I'm in the wrong job myself.

Archived