I have a rant to share

CoralCrazy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks more like a rhodactus type mushroom. Without mentioning the price, the customer bought an item with the intention of telling people who saw it that it is a red carpet nem and this isn't even close. I think you should name the store and challenge them to step their game up and to start doing the right thing. This is what this community is for, to inform. If the establishment can't change their practices, do they deserve our business and hard earned money???

Food for thought.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hello I am the newbe crazycoral is taking about. I think the employee did'nt know what he was talking about and just gave me the wrong info.I did only pay 30$. I agree it is my responsibity to do research, and I have read and read and read. I have not found a website that gives me steps to exactly follow. I am just greatful I was at the right place at the right time to get introduced to crazycoral. She let me come to her house and gave more step by step information than I have received anywhere. She took my anemone and it is nice to hear the the mini Maxie is hardier. When I saw her carpet I was a little scared. I also was given the info to join this group. Now I have a place I can ask alot of people all my questions. Thank you crazycoral for sticking up for us newby's.The store does'nt matter. I will call the owner and and tell him what happened. I'm just happy my tank is fine and on it's way to being beautiful and a lot of fun. I'm so happy to be here :)

You are forgiven ;) I am not here to flame anyone. I made the post because I want newbies to enjoy this hobby and not be turned away from it because some places don't take the time to get their staff interested in the running and maintaining of a SW tank. Like I said I am not even close to as advanced as alot on this site but everytime I'm asked a question I don't know I spend hours on the computer to find the answer. Plus I have a great forum to direct people to. (clap)

welcome kknight! The people on this forum really love to help people.I think thats all they are trying to do.If you have any ? just post a thread and you will get tons of answers.Lots of great people here.I am pretty new to this forum and they have helped me a lot.Plus you can find great deals in the classifieds!lol

It is not a problem of just one store. When I worked at stores we had customers complain about this kind of deal all the time, here in Portland and in Olympia, multiple vendors. There are numerous usually bad reasons why this happens, and ultimately I think it's the customers who have to learn before they shop and also have the self discipline to restrain themselves from making impulse buys. Which I am still working on myself. (:

Can't tell you how many times I told people not to buy something that was unsuitable and they would say "I know but I just want to try". "There is no try, only do", as the good Yoda said. If you are putting an orange spot filefish in a nano and feeding it flake once a day you are not trying, you are killing an animal. If you are buying an anemone for a tank that you have not even started stabilizing the alkalinity/ph in, nor purchased the lighting, not the heater or skimmer, that is not trying either.

Some reasons I have seen:

1. saltwater guy is on break, freshwater guy has the store

2. greed

3. customer insisting despite warning

4. customer in denial of actual amount of lighting and time tank has been cycling so exaggerates and/or lies to the retailer

5. customer buying a "gift" for a tank they do not even know anything about

6. everyone concerned is under the influence

There is an LFS in the vicinity of portland that allegedly told a customer if he followed all their directions that he could add an anemone within 24 hours of setting up the tank. It died. He bought another. It died. He got mad. Store told him he did not follow all their directions to the letter. The directions were impossible to follow so guaranteed to result in selling 4 or 5 anemones before one took. No it is not SWF. No I did not sell him an anemone. After talking for a good hour about cycling, equipment, water changes and filtration he went home and I did not see him again. I think he preferred the advice of the guy who said he could stock his tank immediately.

But since I also caught customers deliberately misleading me about ammonia, ph, filtration and lighting I don't know if I can believe that guy either! Some don't even have heaters or use any device to measure salinity.

Just my contribution to the rant 9:

Kate

Looks more like a rhodactus type mushroom. Without mentioning the price, the customer bought an item with the intention of telling people who saw it that it is a red carpet nem and this isn't even close. I think you should name the store and challenge them to step their game up and to start doing the right thing. This is what this community is for, to inform. If the establishment can't change their practices, do they deserve our business and hard earned money???

Food for thought.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

The forum 'drama-reduction rules' ask that individual issues be worked out in private before publicly naming names. In this case it sounds like we had a new person to the hobby and a store employee who was over their head (possibly new to the store and doesn't sound like an owner) in describing and suggesting a particular livestock choice. From what has been described here it's going to be hard to point the finger of blame squarely at one party.

I think the post and response proves that there is a need for a newbie 'So you're thinking about getting a reef tank' guide - short and simple 1 page at the most - the guide would include internet links to the very basics of reefkeeping and a reading list along with the top 10 Do's and top 10 Don'ts. A guide like that would go a long way to making the hobby more enjoyable for beginners which hopefully turns them into long term customers (which is how I'd put it when trying to partner with LFS to distribute them at the counter). Even without the LFS participation having it available here I think fits very well with our community and mission.

So who's going to take on the challenge?!

I agree as a buyer you should research things but there are plenty of people who don't. However there is a lot to know. I view car repairs the same way. There are plenty of places that will gladly take your money and overcharge you and I have quickly learned who I can trust as a mechanic. The same is for the saltwater hobby. It is easy to take advantage of a new hobbyist and sell them things that they are not ready for.

You can look at the local fish store as simply a business and it is not up to them to educate the buyer. There are places like this such as Petco. I however expect more from my local fishstore. Otherwise I could just buy online. Part of what I am paying for is their expertise.

As far as the buyer being a dumb a $$, I would be willing to bet we have all made stupid mistakes in this hobby simply because there is a lot to know and learn and I do rely on the advice of the fishstores I frequent as well as people on this forum.

This is such a strange hobby

It's the only that repeatedly beats up shops for selling things

Just once I like to see the group call the buyer a dumb a$$ for not researching anything

But it's seems its always a shop fault

I think kknight31 did fess up to being uninformed but I would expect a LFS to have an certain level of implied knowledge about the product they are selling. If you walk into a Honda dealer don't you expect them to have some depth of knowledge about the Honda brand? I've heard from nearly every LFS around that part of the value-add of shopping with them is the knowledge they have in the hobby and how they can act as a guide. When I ask a LFS what species of fish that is and they give me an answer I don't run home and look it up to double check - I would look it up to read more about it if I was interested enough.

There is clearly blame here, IMHO...whether it was intentional or not cannot be determined from info given, but the LFS in question should refund the money and let them keep the "anemone", not only as a gesture of good faith, but to decrease stress on the creature from moving it again. This salesperson is either 1) dishonest or 2) ignorant of saltwater creatures. Either way they shouldn't be helping customers at this point and maybe never.

The buyer is guilty of 1) ignorance of saltwater creatures and 2) impatience. New to hobby reefers are usually their worst enemies (I know I was) due to one overriding thing. Impatience...got to get it NOW...tank's not quite ready...I don't care...want it NOW!!! Don't know much about those corals or fish, but I "took" the plunge, cause I just had to have it!!!

I so totally agree that there should be a tutorial for newbies, it should be required reading for membership and members should validate it by referring it to newbies often when helping with advice...

I wonder (just wondering) if a more indepth tutorial would be of more benefit...yes, people can read stuff online or in books, but do they? Will they? I don't know...I'd be willing to contribute writing a topic and submitting it for administration/club review.

DrMerle

This is such a strange hobby

It's the only that repeatedly beats up shops for selling things

Just once I like to see the group call the buyer a dumb a$$ for not researching anything

But it's seems its always a shop fault

Ah but when a LFS flat out lies to make a sell to someone they know has no clue what they are doing. WHich is worse?

There is a store that keeps getting mentioned that I have seen do all of the above. To me a someone making a profit off someones ignorance, at least in this hobby is sad.

Ah but when a LFS flat out lies to make a sell to someone they know has no clue what they are doing. WHich is worse?

There is a store that keeps getting mentioned that I have seen do all of the above. To me a someone making a profit off someones ignorance, at least in this hobby is sad.

Indeed...ignorance hurts yourself (or the creature)...deception is purposeful and malicious and hurts others...which is worse?

DrMerle

I agree there is a difference between lying or decieving a customer - totally wrong and should be outed for the scum they are.

I have also seen people walk into a shop and go I want that bag it up.

So is a shop owner supposed go hold on there you can't buy that until you pass this written exam first? Or just bag it up? The consumer has to have responceability also we are all to quick to blame others for our own bad decisions

I seen inexperience motorcycle riders buy a Suzuki 1200 street rocket as there first bike and no one stops them or quizes them and have thought to myself that dude is gonna die way to much bike for a first time rider.

As far as the car mechanic reference if they tell me I need service and it's true it's up to me to decide if I want them to do it and to research what they are telling me.

If they are making up false repairs they should go to jail

As far as the buyer being a dumb a $$, I would be willing to bet we have all made stupid mistakes in this hobby simply because there is a lot to know and learn and I do rely on the advice of the fishstores I frequent as well as people on this forum.

Did not mean to refer to the OP as a dumb a$$ I apologize for that however this is a frequent topic that gets on my nerves

And was generalizing about uninformed buyers, that I can hear and spot every time I go to a lfs

Archived