frsh water dip

Kimberlee

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes where did you get those Kim? Google AEFW and see if they look like that. Here's one link about them and how to figure it out. You defnitely don't want them in your display tank as they will infect other sps.:

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/aefw.html

That was a good link, helped a lot. Thank you. Oh, and officer clam, my clam is in good health and obeying the law

That was a good link' date=' helped a lot. Thank you. Oh, and officer clam, my clam is in good health and obeying the law[/quote']

LOL you're welcome. I have a few sps that are white and still have polyps extension so I'm glad they are still alive. Do you have a link about fresh water dips? To be honest I have never heard of doing that for sps. I know they are super sensitive to salinity changes. When our effluent cup from the calcium reactor leaked into the stand and the ato kicked in and dropped the salinity the only thing that really suffered was half the sps. I have done this a few times with zoas and palys.

Not yet, just the 1 saying that it's a method use to treat most flat worm infestations. I'm looking into things still just so I know, but I lucked out and their not acro eaters. I don't want to get so worked up over this I do something I regret later. So i wont dip them. When I find some way to treat that I'm cofterable w/ than I'll worry about dipping. and as long as their not the other acro 1 i don't see a point in stressing the coral any further than it was when i got it.

Okay, so I did end up reading enough to convince me to dip the coral. I did a short 1 and saw the flat worms fall off. After maybe 2 hrs the acro showed some polyp extension and under the actinics shows a light pink color.I also moved him up in the tank.

Would it be to soon to cut the dead parts from the acro, or would it aid in recovery?

Okay, so I don't always follow what I'm told on here, but the dip must of been the right thing for this acro. Even though I know I don't have acro eating FW, the FW must of been irritating the coral. My lights have been on for 2 hrs and I see polyps. They have extended twice as fwr as they did yesterday.

We are more than half way through that 24hrs. I'm not going to say that it is a good idea in every situation. Just that it isn't guaranteed to kill the acro, and w/ care can possibly help. I've talked too a couple of poeple who dip all their acro in FW when they get them w/ good results. I will take pics when the polyps are out a little more. I don't expect it to recover quickly, so far it looks like it will recover though.

Kim, take it from someone who has killed more SPS than I care to think about, they'll show extension til the last piece of flesh leaves it, it's just the nature of the beast lol

If you look close, at least to me, it looks like flesh is starting to peel away in the pics, if thats the case, then those corals are gonners.

With some TLC that acro should color up nicely!

Just keep it in moderate flow and with your lights, I would put it in the top third of your tank.

Although, I would frag off all dead areas. Otherwise, algae will grow on the dead spots and possibly choke off other healthy tissue.

As for the flatworms, they sound to me like the harmless gray variety, about the size of a broken pencil lead. If so, I wouldn't worry about them. Just make sure to dip all new incoming corals either with Lugols(my #1 choice) or coral Rx, before putting in your display.

Have you tested your CA/ALK/Mg lately?

#'s?

If you keep up on testing and keep the parameters stable, that coral will do just fine.

Kim, not to change the subject, but be careful with the vodka dosing with your clam. There have been reports that clams will die when dosed with vodka. And in fact I lost two clams within a couple days of each other after I started dosing vodka. Coincidence? Maybe. But I've done some other reading on it and it seems that I am not the only one to experience this.

I will be really careful. Right now he is my baby in the tank and I watch him like a hawk. I haven't seen any ill effects so far. He had a few bites taken out when my blenny decided he was food. Blenny's in a new home and my clam seem to be healing. What signs would I see to let me know troubles coming? Also my dose is 1.2ml right now, I think that's on the low side.

Yes, cut the dosage. May need to be cut even more than that. The vodka is to feed the algae so it will process (feed on) nitrates. Once they reach zero there will not longer be any nitrates to feed on and as a result it also will no longer be feeding on the vodka.