frsh water dip

Kimberlee

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kimberlee just posted that link so ya.. just wondering when that article was posted. As far as i know its a 10year old technique (like bio balls lol).

Vodka dosing or carbon dosing is certainly not new science but has been really popular lately as more people start to "stretch" the limits when stocking tanks. I have about 35 fish in my reef currently and started to see some significant nitrate start to creep up. I have been dosing a mixture of vinegar/vodka that feeds the bacteria that uptake nitrate and phosphate. It is a great way to limit nutrients in a tank as long as you have proper equipment (ie very large skimmer) to take care of all of the bacteria being produced.

My skimmer and I got to know each other very well, as I checked it countless time through out my dosing. Like I said this is only 1 place I got my info from. I chose to bookmark this link because it was very step by step and easy to follow. And I read a lot like for months before hand, because putting vodka in the tank just seemed wrong. I did it not because of stock over load, but because without a sump yet I was having trouble reaching those 0's. Now there all at 0 phosphates and nitrates, and I'm starting to cut the dose down. As for my clam he appears to be really healthy. I think this might have something to do w/ the fact that I was already dosing when he was added. I believe my tank was already balanced w/ the dose so it wasn't a big shock to the clam. Just a theory though and I'm not willing to test it again.

Well I took a look at your tank I didn't see anything real complicated but thats just me corals making a great come back

We actually do have a lot of tricky coral/inhabitants. We have only lost 1 SPS, ever... and it looked bad, like one of your previous pics.

So now that it has shown a good chance of survival is there anything I can do to help, like if it's darkening quickly can I move it down a little. Or maybe some reef chili to give it extra energy for recovery? Or anything on top of the norm? It dose seem to have gained a dark tint kinda quick, though it appears more pink than brown.

• 1 month later...