frsh water dip

Kimberlee

I'm responsible for acclimating 3 sps'es 2 LC Scott's 1 mine. The decision has been made to dip them before adding them to the DTs. I've read a little about this but have not done it yet. The corals show no signs of stress. I think I should dip them and put them back in the water they came in, than acclimate them to the tank water.Could some 1 tell me if I'm wrong and how to do it. Also how long should I dip them.

He wants me to put his in a QT tank for a couple of days. I'm not comfortable w/ this. because there isn't appropriate lighting for the corals in the QT tank.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do NOT do a freshwater dip on sps... they likely will die if you do that. You should get a coral dip such as coral rx or coral revive which is placed into new saltwater and the coral is bathed for several minutes before placing in the tank. Having corals in a QT even without light will usually be fine for a few days. I have gone lights out for over a week to get rid of dinos/cyano and had no side effects with any of my sps.

Okay, so put them in the QT, then dip the in RX. than acclimate them to the DTs?

We just want to make sure there aren't any pests. They are healthy out side of being brown. I looked them over really well and I don't see anything that alarms me about them. Would it be a bad idea to put mine right in after acclamation?

Mine is the 1 in the middle.

As has been mentioned, never dip SPS in Freshwater. They'll usually not survive.

Depending on what you're dipping for, I'd recommend Coral Rx. If you wanted to take it a couple steps further, I'd recommend Coral Rx, then a Flatworm Exit bath and then a 60 minute Bath, using Interceptor. Those 3 steps are safe, for SPS and will rid your corals of any possible nuisance critters.

As has been mentioned, never dip SPS in Freshwater. They'll usually not survive.

Depending on what you're dipping for, I'd recommend Coral Rx. If you wanted to take it a couple steps further, I'd recommend Coral Rx, then a Flatworm Exit bath and then a 60 minute Bath, using Interceptor. Those 3 steps are safe, for SPS and will rid your corals of any possible nuisance critters.

That coral is not browned out...its white...I really dont think it can take those dips...just give it TLC for now, are there any polyps?

So I went and took a look when the lights were out, and found bugs on the acro. I think there a kind of FW, don't know if there a problem or not. Don't like the idea of FW exit. This corals been through a lot already. I'll watch closely for problems though. Who here can tell me what I'm looking for as a sign there is a problem. My experience w/ sps is limited at best, and I am in the process of researching now.

So I went and took a look when the lights were out' date=' and found bugs on the acro. I think there a kind of FW, don't know if there a problem or not. Don't like the idea of FW exit. This corals been through a lot already. I'll watch closely for problems though. Who here can tell me what I'm looking for as a sign there is a problem. My experience w/ sps is limited at best, and I am in the process of researching now.[/quote']

Yikes where did you get those Kim? Google AEFW and see if they look like that. Here's one link about them and how to figure it out. You defnitely don't want them in your display tank as they will infect other sps.:

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/aefw.html

LOL oh the brownout sale! Free flatworms with every purchase. (laugh) Seriously if you have other acros in the tank I would take that sucker out of there. Fortunately they only attack acropora. Hence the name.

Only one other feel like babysitting, until I get this handled, maybe?

I'm sorry, but I'd rather listen to someone I know has the experience, than some person writing an article.

And he's not the only person who's mentioned it's a bad idea, and I've personally seen SPS killed in a freshwater dip, but if you're determined to go through it, have fun, the skeletons make great hiding places for clown gobies.