vortech or tunze in a 60 gallon cube?

Ron Popeil

i currently run two korallia evo 4s in my 60 cube, and another 1200 to 1800 gph from my sump, but still am not quite impressed with the flow. i feel like i should have more going through the entire tank. im also not excited about how invasive the korallias are.

so im thinking of getting an mp40 vortech, but have no idea how well it would work in such a confined space. i like the idea of alternating flow amounts up to 3000 gph, but i also dont want to blast off the tissue from my corals. would one mp40 be awesome in the middle of the back pane and take care of all my needs? or would two mp10s be better?

or would the tunze line of little powerheads be a better choice, since i would be able to angle them strategically?

the cube is 24 x 24 x 24 and is/will be crammed with sps. here is a picture from early last year for some reference.

what are your thoughts?

P1030183.jpg

I have one MP10w ES on my 40b and had planned on getting another MP10w ES for the other side, but honestly, the one is pretty darn good, I think with two MP10w ES, you would have wicked good flow and could have hours of fun dailing it in to how the flow works together, alternating, ect.

If I had a 60g cube, I would for sure do two MP10's.....they are great little water movers with lots of ability to tweek the flow...

I've tried these two combos of pumps:

(4) Tunze 6055 and

(2) Tunze 6055 + (2) Vortech MP40w

I know that doesn't tell you anything about placement but I prefer the (4) 6055 because of how i can direct the flow and mounting options.

I will say that my only option for placement of the MP40s was on the back panel of my tank because the end panels are viewable and the routing of the wires would have been a hassle. Since the MP40s were placed on the back and up high all the sand at the front of the tank got blown away from the front panel. This is with a 32" wide tank and the pumps were not turned up more than half way. If the MP40s were placed on the ends of the tank I probably would have been happy with there performance but on the back they didn't work for me.

I've got two spare 6055 that you could borrow if you want to test them out. only problem with that is i don't have a spare controller...

I would have to agree with Stylaster. I use 2 40's and they would be to much for your tank IMO. The options you would have as far as patterns of flow with the mp 10's would work nicely. They don't have to be on full all the time but a good blast occasionaly "does the coral good".

so...three websites checked...the mp10 have been discontinued or are no longer available. why would this be?

oh...well. maybe not. some links show that it has been, maybe theyre older models.

They used to make the MP10. MP20 and MP40....but now with the new "EcoSmart" controler, I think they only make the MP10, MP40 and the new MP60....They still make the MP10 its just MP10 with the new EcoSmart Contoler....And if you go with two of them, I recomend paying a little more and going with the MP10w ES (the Wireless Ones) that way you can sync them or run them in AntiSync whatever works best...That was/is my plan...

I've tried these two combos of pumps:

but I prefer the (4) 6055 because of how i can direct the flow and mounting options.

Bingo!

Especially in your cube Jordan.

I have a spare single controller you can borrow to go along with Calvins 6055's.

• 1 month later...

after playing around with an mp40.....i decided to get one. i immediately regretted it after the price started to set in....but by the time it arrived on my door step i was very excited about trying it out.

and after a few minutes of playing with it, im very pleased with my decision. i had three korallia 4s in the tank, they took up so much visual space and now they are all gone. the vortech puts out so much water movement that every sps in the tank has rapidly moving polyps.

its definitely an expensive toy, but so far i think its a quite the productive piece of equipment.

I was gonna jump in and say the mp40 would do great in there, as would 2 mp10s. I've got the exact same size cube currently with 1 mp10 and i'll be adding a second mp10 this weekend i hope. The side that the mp10 is installed on has the perfect amount of flow IMO.

Fun toys huh :D

after playing around with an mp40.....i decided to get one. i immediately regretted it after the price started to set in....but by the time it arrived on my door step i was very excited about trying it out.

That's funny you say this. I felt the same way. I purchased two MP40 ES's and after making the payment I could not believe I just did that. Talk about buyers remorse. BUT now after installing them I'm so happy I did it and so are my corals. (nutty)

I'm struggling with this same dilemma. I really need to listen to one of the MP40's in action in an otherwise quiet scenario. My tank is in my living room, and I enjoy the fact that it is pretty quiet. I've heard (only via forums) that the MP40 is noisy, and the Tunze Streams are dead quiet.

jon, thank you! i think im a bit more happy with how the tank looks now....ill get a recent picture soon.

bill feel free to come over and listen to mine. i think youll find there is almost no noise to complain about. you have my number....and my address.

thanks every one for the input!