240 Cube Build Help

moovinfast

I personally use SCWD's on my tanks. They are energy efficient, they don't drop 30% of your flow. They do need maintenance just like everything. I clean and oil mine once every 6 months along with my pumps and skimmer. I have only had one fail and thats because it was a used one. If money is an issue, i would recommend them. If money is not an issue, i would look into a better alternative. I just have to chime in and state that they are not worthless in all applications. JMO.

They absolutely do. I've measured it myself.

I'm interested in how you tested this, being that you have 2 points of exit for the flow and a device that swaps between the two and does not do it immediately, at one point both sides run together.

I have 3 sets of SCWD's on 2 different tanks, I've run them back to back with a strait T and ball valves and then replacing it with a SCWD. I've noticed very little if any loss of flow at all. The turbulent activity is excellent. Believe me it was definitely a concern of mine too, but i had very good results and for the cost to implement, i love them. That being said, i am still interested to learn what you know about them and how you implemented them, why you don't like them because i plan to put 2 more on my 120G i'm building.

Here goes:

My pump is an Eheim 1262, plumbed to a 4' long 3/4" ID reinforced vinyl hose. I timed how long it took to pump 5g of water without the SCWD, and then with the SCWD. I ran each test 5 times to reduce any errors in timing, etc and in case there was any loss due to where the SCWD started in it's cycle.

The ave and mode results of each test were identical; my timing and the cycle of the SCWD were not factors in the test.

Without SCWD: 5g/27s or 666gph

With SCWD: 5g/37s or 486 gph

SCWD efficiency: 73%

SCWD Cycle time: 12s (full cycle, lull to lull on one output)

I included the cycle time just as a curiosity; I'll have more to say about it when the system is installed and I can get a feel for the aesthetiques of the timing.

taken from my posting at RC: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1139263

• Like 1

What do you think about switching from DE bulbs to SE bulbs? Could I run my same ballasts? I can use either 2 250w ARO electronic ballasts (using them on my 72g right now) or 2 250w IceCap Electronic Ballasts. I was looking into the Lumenmax reflectors and someone else mentioned them to me. They have one that 22.25 x 22.25 x 8. Think running 2 of those side by side would work? Will I notice any difference switching from 20k DE bulbs to 20k SE bulbs if I stick with the same brand?

REFLECTOR

I believe the Icecap electronic ballast will run any SE or DE 250w bulb. Not sure about the ARO ballasts. I think if you are going to try and get away with (2) MH over that size tank you should go with 400w w/ large reflectors. I think it might be kind of tuff lighting that with only (2) 250w with any reflector. If you don't plan on keeping much SPS you probably could get away with the (2) 250w. Are you going to do any T5 or VHO supplementation?

Sunlight Supply has a reflector that might work for you. it says in the link below that the reflectors are designed to cover a 2'x2' area.

http://www.aquacave.com/lumenmax-elite-de-hqi-br-double-ended-reflector-br-by-sunlight-supply-2275.html

Im trying to get away with just using two 20k 250w. I don't really want to switch to 400w. Id probably just use 4 x 250w since I already have everything to do that. Then I know I could cover the entire tank.

if you already have everything to setup the (4) 250w then go with that. If you end up not liking it for some reason you could always change it down the road. I think the (4) 250w will cover that tank nicely. What kind of reflectors do you currently have for the 250w?

You should check out the Lumenbright 3 pendants. They have great spread and more output than any other reflector out there.

On the SCWD i would pass. I used one before and it stopped switching. Not to mention the flow loss.