240 Cube Build Help

moovinfast

Got the tank home. Now I need to start getting things together for it. Tanks is 4x4x2'

Here is the tank

4657555739_2d1377f001_b.jpg

Here is the back wall. Continuous overflow, two closed loop intakes and 4 returns from the sump. Closed loop returns are through the bottom of the tank.

4658177110_ee116d670a_b.jpg

Here is the bottom before it had been drilled

4658177302_989e071880.jpg

The bottom. Has 8 3/4" returns for the closed loop

4657555563_0ae561e938_b.jpg

Here is the the part behind the overflow. From left to right are Return,Durso Overflow, Closed Loop intake, Closed Loop intake, Durso Overflow, Return

4657555811_eaefa42aaf_b.jpg

And here is a pic of the back he had so you can kind of see how its all hooked up

4658177394_743e7c7f03.jpg

Ive already picked up 2 dart pumps. Want to do one for the closed loop and one for a return.

4658176994_bf11af2f45_b.jpg

For lighting I have 4 250w electronic ballasts and pendants, but would like to get it down to two. Does someone make a DE pendant that is large enough to cover 4x4 with 2 pendants?

Not sure what to do for a stand. Was thinking of using 4x4 posts with 2x6s wrapped around the top and bottom. Would a single piece of 3/4" mdf on top support the tank? Was thinking of making a 1' edge on the two sides and front so it has a bar around it. Somewhere to place a drink while looking into the tank.

For the return I wanted to use one of the Darts. Could I use it with an 1" SCWD and then have each side split into 2 3/4" returns? Can I do similar with the closed loop? Go from the dart to a 1" SCWD and then have each side of the SCWD go to 4 3/4"" returns. So it would run all 8 in total? The darts are rated at 3600 GPH.

i'll throw it out there first. beautiful tank. so, if you want to come up with a design, we could probably come up with some tube steel and i have a welder that we could throw it together with. or i have a couple of friends that are great with wood. let me know.

• Like 1

Got the tank home. Now I need to start getting things together for it. Tanks is 4x4x2'

Here is the tank

4657555739_2d1377f001_b.jpg

Here is the back wall. Continuous overflow, two closed loop intakes and 4 returns from the sump. Closed loop returns are through the bottom of the tank.

4658177110_ee116d670a_b.jpg

Here is the bottom before it had been drilled

4658177302_989e071880.jpg

The bottom. Has 8 3/4" returns for the closed loop

4657555563_0ae561e938_b.jpg

Here is the the part behind the overflow. From left to right are Return,Durso Overflow, Closed Loop intake, Closed Loop intake, Durso Overflow, Return

4657555811_eaefa42aaf_b.jpg

And here is a pic of the back he had so you can kind of see how its all hooked up

4658177394_743e7c7f03.jpg

Ive already picked up 2 dart pumps. Want to do one for the closed loop and one for a return.

4658176994_bf11af2f45_b.jpg

For lighting I have 4 250w electronic ballasts and pendants, but would like to get it down to two. Does someone make a DE pendant that is large enough to cover 4x4 with 2 pendants?

Not sure what to do for a stand. Was thinking of using 4x4 posts with 2x6s wrapped around the top and bottom. Would a single piece of 3/4" mdf on top support the tank? Was thinking of making a 1' edge on the two sides and front so it has a bar around it. Somewhere to place a drink while looking into the tank.

For the return I wanted to use one of the Darts. Could I use it with an 1" SCWD and then have each side split into 2 3/4" returns? Can I do similar with the closed loop? Go from the dart to a 1" SCWD and then have each side of the SCWD go to 4 3/4"" returns. So it would run all 8 in total? The darts are rated at 3600 GPH.

For the tank, i wouldn't use any kind of MDF or particle board, it blows up when it gets wet.

I run dual SCWD's just like your asking, but i don't have quite so much pump. You may have to throttle them down a tad..

Would I notice a big difference between the Dart and the Barracuda for a closed loop? The dart is 3600 and the barracuda is 4500 but the dart is 100w less to power. Would the dart still be ok for the return. Ive had a few people tell me that its going to be too much flow going through the sump. The return is going to be split into probably 5 3/4"returns and have a head height of 5-6 feet.

Would I notice a big difference between the Dart and the Barracuda for a closed loop? The dart is 3600 and the barracuda is 4500 but the dart is 100w less to power. Would the dart still be ok for the return. Ive had a few people tell me that its going to be too much flow going through the sump. The return is going to be split into probably 5 3/4"returns and have a head height of 5-6 feet.

use the larger pump for the closed loop, also are you going to use some sort of device like ocean motions 4 or 8 way to randomize currents? I would highly recommend it

I was hoping to get away with using a 1" SCWD for the closed loop since you can sometime find them used for cheap. So I would go from each end of the SCWD to 4 3/4" returns for a total of 8. But I have been looking for a deal on a 4 way oceans motions instead.

If I were you, use the Bean Animal Silent Overflow set it once and forget it. That's what I'm using and will for the 200gal.

looking good

If you can find the Hayward 3-way ball valve and just add a motor that turns it about 1 - 6 rpm's be almost like the OM but cheaper. Ebay new/used $75

If I were you, use the Bean Animal Silent Overflow set it once and forget it. That's what I'm using and will for the 200gal.

looking good

If you can find the Hayward 3-way ball valve and just add a motor that turns it about 1 - 6 rpm's be almost like the OM but cheaper. Ebay new/used $75

link.... ?

If you go with SCWD, you will probably over do it with the large pump unless you throttle the pump back a bit. I think maximum flow is in the 3k range. if you have more than one supply comming from the pump then it wouldn't be hard to divide up the flow between them. i would also have a backup SCWD in case it fails on you which is why you may want to make sure you have more than one supply comming off the pump in case of a mechanical failure, it won't accidentally burn up your pump.

Just personal experience' date=' but I have found sqwd's to be nice for the first few months and then completely unreliable. The smallest bit of anything in there and it will completely destroy the inside's.[/quote']

+1. I would *never* plumb a SCWD into a major aquarium project like this. There's a reason why Ocean's Motions are so widely liked (in spite of their price)... they're fairly reliable and can be fixed/maintained. SCWDs are (IMnsHO) cheap junk that waste energy (30% of your flow will be used driving the mechanism).