Oil Spill...your biggest fears!!!!

My biggest fear is that they'll try to do something overly-aggressive to cap it (nuke?) and make it irreparably worse, draining the whole oilfield into the ocean and really farking things up on a planetary scale.

and really farking things up on a planetary scale.

Haven't we already done this...

When it comes to people and attitudes towards the environment, I am a pessimist. Most people don't give a hoot about what goes on in the wild, because they are so wrapped up in their own little artificial world. :(

My biggest fears are that people are going to want to ban off-shore drilling and that is going to lead to opening up drilling in the arctic areas, which are just as fragile.

My biggest hope is that when off-shore drilling gets banned, that will lead to more alternative forms of energy being developed. I am hopeful for hydrogen fuel cells (hydrogen produced by solar electricity and piped to other areas). I am also hopeful for hydrogen fusion reactors, which are much safer than uranium fission reactors. Clean coal is a band-aid, as is developing natural gas...

Stop wasting $$$ on stupid wars over oil and develop a true solution to the oil crisis. (this is one topic that I am passionate enough about that I will discuss politics about it. The rest of it is not worth making enemies.)

dsoz

Stop wasting $$$ on stupid wars over oil and develop a true solution to the oil crisis. (this is one topic that I am passionate enough about that I will discuss politics about it. The rest of it is not worth making enemies.)

Wars? I thought we were there until Mcdonalds and Wal Mart went in?

you can't pump 250,000 gallons of crude oil a day into the ocean and not have it turn up somewhere....these idiots keep saying "it really hasn't shown up in any great quantities on land, so we are in good shape..."???????[language filter]????

Do they think it is just "dissolving" as fast as it is comes out?....landfall or water, it doesn't matter...it is toxic and I believe it will show up in our food supply sooner or later...

DrMerle

I think we over look how well this planet can take care of its self. The well will be capped or plugged and things may be a little messy for a year. Yes some fish will die and some birds will drowned but thats the way this world works. No one screams bloody murder when the a Volcano goes off and kills all the wildlife for miles around. It always comes back after some time.

If we would let the forest fires burn like they always use to, the world might not be heating up like they say and all the carbon in the air would be filtering stuff out like the world always has done. OK I might be going a little far there, but I think we look at things in to short of a time frame.

I think we over look how well this planet can take care of its self. The well will be capped or plugged and things may be a little messy for a year. Yes some fish will die and some birds will drowned but thats the way this world works. No one screams bloody murder when the a Volcano goes off and kills all the wildlife for miles around. It always comes back after some time.

If we would let the forest fires burn like they always use to, the world might not be heating up like they say and all the carbon in the air would be filtering stuff out like the world always has done. OK I might be going a little far there, but I think we look at things in to short of a time frame.

UH OH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Since this is fresh-from-the-earth oil, it won't wash up on shore like the Exxon Valdez load did (which was refined oil). This stuff will form up into tarballs and screw up the ecosystem in all kind'a new ways. Since there aren't be birds covered in oil on the 6:00 news, this disaster isn't getting the public outcry previous disasters have. Hopefully the cockroaches can learn a lesson from us and not screw it up when we're long gone.

I agree that the planet is really good at taking care of itself, they have done a really good job of keeping the oil off the shores as well. (clap) That is where the animals get into trouble most, fish can swim (laugh) I don't have any fear of it, the sea is a big place and it is a very small amount if you look at it as a whole. There is a lot worse things going on in the world than that. (whistle) I do believe they need to put up some kind of wall around the oil rigs for disasters like this, why they haven't as a safe guard I don't know. (scratch)

I agree that the planet is really good at taking care of itself' date=' they have done a really good job of keeping the oil off the shores as well. (clap) That is where the animals get into trouble most, fish can swim (laugh) I don't have any fear of it, the sea is a big place and it is a very small amount if you look at it as a whole. There is a lot worse things going on in the world than that. (whistle) I do believe they need to put up some kind of wall around the oil rigs for disasters like this, why they haven't as a safe guard I don't know. (scratch)[/quote']

Fish can outswim a lack of dissolved oxygen? Your 'sea is a big place' argument is really going to go over well with the fishing and tourism industries along the gulf states. Maybe its not such a big deal if I dump a few thousand gallons of oil in your yard? I mean Portlands a big place right? Also I'd like to know where exactly "the something worse" is currently going on?

Sorry if you feel I'm being harsh but ignorance like that just gets me going.

• Like 1

I would hope that "the powers that be" sit back and really think about what has happened and take the steps to not have this happen again on such a large scale! (I really doubt that this will stop the drilling for oil. I'm a realist not a dreamer when it comes to this topic)

Maybe the development of new energies will come from it or maybe better "emergency responses" for spills!

Something.............. anything............ (I can dream right!?!?!)

Fish can outswim a lack of dissolved oxygen? Your 'sea is a big place' argument is really going to go over well with the fishing and tourism industries along the gulf states. Maybe its not such a big deal if I dump a few thousand gallons of oil in your yard? I mean Portlands a big place right? Also I'd like to know where exactly "the something worse" is currently going on?

Sorry if you feel I'm being harsh but ignorance like that just gets me going.

yeah maybe if you put that much oil in my back yard it would cause a problem....duh get real dude! My opinion and don't put a yard as an example come on you can do better than that, try maybe if I had acres and acres of land then do that, you want to see my patio? One quart for my car would cover it......move on.(nutty)

Here are some things to ponder:

326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons. (326 million trillion gallons)

That's how much water there is on earth. 98% of that is in our oceans.

62 million, that's how much oil seeps up into our oceans each year naturally.

363 million, that's how many gallons of oil we wash down the drain each year.

137 million is how many gallons are lost during normal maintenance and another 92 million gallons of oil go up in smoke. (cars, heating, etc.)

Here are some things to ponder:

326,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons. (326 million trillion gallons)

That's how much water there is on earth. 98% of that is in our oceans.

62 million, that's how much oil seeps up into our oceans each year naturally.

363 million, that's how many gallons of oil we wash down the drain each year.

137 million is how many gallons are lost during normal maintenance and another 92 million gallons of oil go up in smoke. (cars, heating, etc.)

Those are some interesting figures... where did they come from? I'd be interested to see those backed up with some substance. Not trying to pick a fight, just would like to see a reputable source that can back those numbers up.

Those are some interesting figures... where did they come from? I'd be interested to see those backed up with some substance. Not trying to pick a fight' date=' just would like to see a reputable source that can back those numbers up.[/quote']

I did my part already. It only took 5 minutes of searching to dig these up. While I have no idea how accurate they are I have no reason to doubt they are reasonable. Your welcome to verify or dispute them. If you do then my post will have served it's purpose regardless of what you come up with.

So I think what Rick is implying is that the solution to pollution is dilution?

So let's say the earth can handle a "little" oil flowing into the ocean. I don't believe the gulf states fishing and tourism industries can handle it like jackaninny said. I'm sure those of you who think this is not that big of deal would have a different opinion if it put you out of a job.

So I think what Rick is implying is that the solution to pollution is dilution?

So let's say the earth can handle a "little" oil flowing into the ocean. I don't believe the gulf states fishing and tourism industries can handle it like jackaninny said. I'm sure those of you who think this is not that big of deal would have a different opinion if it put you out of a job.

Well, at least I got you thinking anyway. I was not trying to imply anything of the sort. Instead I wanted everyone to look at the big picture and compare it to what they believe. I honestly was hoping someone (or several people) would go find figures to either confirm or dispute the ones I posted. I could care less which because my purpose was not to argue one side or the other (the figures could be used for either one) but rather to get people reading and thinking about it instead.

There are many jobs in the gulf that will be effected by this and not just fishing. If you think about "just the fishing" for a moment. With all those guys being shut down it will effect all the other local businesses they help to support...I.E. Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, Hotels, and on and on it goes. If the fishermen are shut down thats a lot of money those guys arent spending. It will have a ripple effect on the local economy. I really find it amazing that after all these years they didnt have a better back up plan in place to shut this pipeline down. I bet they will going forward. But the damage will already be done. It really bothers me to think how much oil has gushed out that pipe.

There is essentially nothing that we as private individuals can do to fix ANY of this, be it the politics involved, or whatever. Big Brother Oil makes way to much money for us to ever consider attempting to fight, sorry, hate to say it, but, everyone here, whether they admit it or not, know that that is the truth.

Just like Big Brother Lumber is the real reason weed is criminalized.

When companies are worth trillions, this isn't a big deal to them. The Pres has already made it clear we will continue to drill. With all the oil spilling, gas hasn't gone up. But when someone farts over seas we have an overnight increase.

The interesting part will be the long term effect starting at the bottom. From the sand to the inverts and up the food chain. Some life will be more efected than others, causing an imbalance in the food chain. We may see massive die off with millions of dead fish, shrimp and more to an over population of another species.The human loss is monitory. From food to tourism will take a huge hit. We'll get through it. I pray that Mother nature is swift and forgiving. I woild like to take the executives and boil them in oil. They are setting the stage for future disasters by downplaying the whole thing. Desensitizing the public.