New tank new problems....

Frank

The new tank is up and running but I have a few issues. (flame) The first is Bryopsis; DOH! it came from my 40gallon breeder and is in the 150 now. I need to know what eats it????

The second is one many of you have previously seen in my tank, (I thought I had got rid of them) but they are back! Majano anemones! (threaten) I don't want to break the tank down... so after a bit of research it looks like I am going to try a small Racoon Butterfly (scary) .....any thoughts?

Here are some other fish that are suppose to be good for this issue....which one would you try?

Double saddle butterfly fish

Bristletail filefish

Klein’s Butterflies

• Like 1

sometimes hair algae can be taken care of by simply pulling it out and running heavy phosban(or similar) for a prolonged period to starve it out. You have such a little amount that's what I would say to do. Couldn't hurt to go a little overkill on the blue legged hemits and scarlet's as well.

LOL I have to admit I had to look up Bryopsis.(scratch) Using big words won't make the problem go away Frank.(nono) Just call it hair algae!(laugh)

A sea hare worked great for us until the little guy tried to clean the powerhead.(sad) I hear they don't live long because they will starve so I was planning to just pass the little guy along. Isaac had mentioned some hardier sea hares.

The Klein butterfly is pretty hardy from what I have heard and read and is more reef safe than the double saddle butterfly. I don't know much about the filefish.

From what I read about the Raccoon butterfly this is also not a reef safe fish. I would go with the Klein butterfly or find another way to kill those Majanos.

Hawaiian Zebra hermits seem to work really good... another solution is to crank up your mag for a few weeks. That should kill most of it without having to add any fish that you'll later want to remove if you building a reef.

Raccoon's can be pretty evil little bastards!

Frank, is it bryopsis or hair algae? If bryopsios, try the increased Mg levels. Check it out on RC.

As far as majono go, remember that butterfly fish in a reef are a HUGH risk. Make sure you're ready to try and get the fish out if/when it starts eating the good things.

Dennis

Frank, if you decide to go for a fish that may eat the Mojanos, I would try the file fish. They are way easier to remove than the butterflies and in my experience the aiptasia eating variety never messed with any corals or larger inverts. Mine would pick at small inverts like hermits and small snails. This may be a contradictory sp. to your bryopsis problem if it eats the critters that eat the algae but maybe you could attack them in an order.

Yah for bryopsis you need to increase MG, but there is a specific additive that people are using to raise their MG that has shown success in getting rid of bryopsis. Its Kent's Tech-M. Other MG additives haven't been successful like Tech-M has.

Tech M will work with bryopsis. It is kinda spendy at $30 gal. Use the link for dosing in the Chemistry section that Lowman posted (Bob also did/is doing Mag dosing). The mag IME will creep up on you. You can be dinking along at 1300 and all of a sudden you get 1850 a few days later. Use a good Mag tester (Salifert).

• Like 1

Is it just me or is this thread now starting to remind anyone about a nursery rhyme?(scratch)

I don't know why she swallowed the fly......(whistle)

Its good to see you back Emerald525 with your phrases that make me laugh!

Its good to see you back Emerald525 with your phrases that make me laugh!

Thanks feels good to be back and glad someone appreciates my entertaining(IMO) but useless threads!(laugh)

Sorry Frank,I will stop hijacking your thread!(backtotopic)

Ok it looks like the Klein’s Butterflies win now I just have to find one....

It is bryopsios, so I will try the increased Mg levels.... Thanks for everyone's help

Beth you can hijack my thread any time glad to have you back....

That sucks Frank.

IME raising MG with Tech M does work. I have tried it with other products and not been succsessful. Still try to pull all you can out by hand. If you do it for 10 minutes a day, there won't be to much left for the MG to kill.

Controlling the Nems would be similar, just glue a drop of glue for 10 minutes a day or so on each one.

I do think the butterfly fish are pretty and some have had good results keeping them long term. IIRC you will need to cut back on feeding the tank so the fish is hungry enough to go after the nems, that is if it acts similiarly to other butterfly fish.

JME

HTH

Ok it looks like the Klein’s Butterflies win now I just have to find one....

It is bryopsios, so I will try the increased Mg levels.... Thanks for everyone's help

Beth you can hijack my thread any time glad to have you back....

LOL Frank did you do that on purpose? Did you not read my signature? LOL this is Kim not Beth!(laugh)

I'm glad to be back. I missed this place! I was getting more done at work though!:D

I've used Pep's before and they do work, they also can go after things like Zoa's and other stuff after the aptasia's all gone.

Super glue and couple small pieces of frag epoxy works the best. Aptaisa X also worked really well for me. I'd just avoid putting any animal in there that you don't want to keep.

Most things that eat aptasia are hit or miss and then usually turn into a total PITA to remove and will eventually bother corals and other inverts when they run out of food.