Best Pump for the money, which one??

gwalkerss

Hello all, I need some info on which pump has worked or will the best for me! I am moving and will be changing up my system. I am moving the sump to the basement and going to plumb it up to the next floor and will need a pump with the power to do it. It will be running a 150g reef. It will be appx 15-18 feet travel up, with appx 4 90degree or 2 90degree and 2 45degree bends....

please let me know what you would think would be the best and the appx price!! I would only like a NEW pump!

Thanks all

Geoff

I used a Reeflow Barracuda for my basement sump. Sump was on a stand, so I only had to go up 12 feet. I had to throttle down the pump because it was too much flow full on. Try to use spaflex if possible...can make a gentle bend which cuts down on loss. Need 11/2 or 2" for the pump.

Hey Jon! :)

Doesn't the Reeflo provide marine abrasive seals? I have been running my Dolphin 5600 as a close loop and have not changed my seal in 5+ years and hasn't leak or have any salt creek. The seal is about $100 but well worth the money.

If you don't mind changing out the seals yearly, go with a Reeflo.

If you don't want to have to change out seals, go with an Iwaki.

Good thing they have a 3 year warranty :)

Ive never had problems with the seals...hmmm.....(scratch)

I would say though I think a pressure rated Iwaki might work better with that much head. Is it just for the return??

Hey Jon! :)

Doesn't the Reeflo provide marine abrasive seals? I have been running my Dolphin 5600 as a close loop and have not changed my seal in 5+ years and hasn't leak or have any salt creek. The seal is about $100 but well worth the money.

Hey stranger!

5+ years? That's pretty good. Is that the pump you got from Steve?

For $100 it better last that long. I'll have to look into those.

I have changed out at least 10 seals on sequence/dolphin pumps in the last few months at the store. The factory seals don't last long.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup... I bought 2 from him when he changed to Sequence pumps. The seal is the key to the motors not leaking. The marine abrasive seals are made of a harder compound that will not scratch from the smaller particles.

Hey stranger!

5+ years? That's pretty good. Is that the pump you got from Steve?

For $100 it better last that long. I'll have to look into those.

I have changed out at least 10 seals on sequence/dolphin pumps in the last few months at the store. The factory seals don't last long.

I have a huge frickin' Dolphin pump. Turns out my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I bit off more than I can chew. Ryan can attest to what a monster this is. I'd like to get $90- exactly what I paid for it. It comes with a new set of seals too.

Which pump is it?