More tank problems

jgf86123

No worries Eric, I'm gonna wait til I talk to Rick before making a final decision, but, I'm seriously leaning towards tearing it down and having an AIO built out of it and my 30 breeder thats being used as a sump, if he can do it, if he can, well, I'll do it LOL

I think that with some tuning it will be more silent. But a tank with a sump is likely to make some noise. But even AIO do produce noise, mainly for the vibration of the return pump which is usually enclosed in a small box of glass or acrylic.

I had a AIO for about 6 years in my bedroom and it was noisy. So was the 10 gallon I had a few months ago. But I'm a light sleeper

I think that with some tuning it will be more silent. But a tank with a sump is likely to make some noise. But even AIO do produce noise, mainly for the vibration of the return pump which is usually enclosed in a small box of glass or acrylic.

I had a AIO for about 6 years in my bedroom and it was noisy. So was the 10 gallon I had a few months ago. But I'm a light sleeper

At this point, I'm really missing my 20 long, it was completely silent LOL

The drain into the sump is pretty [language filter] quiet to be honest, all the noise is in the air line tubing I've got and where it initially starts draining, , if we slept in the bedroom, it'd be fine, but, we don't, so it's not LOL

I wouldn't suggest tearing apart tanks to build anything new. Too much chance of breaking one or both in the process of tearing them apart. To get a completely silent overflow my suggestion would be to go ahead and drill that second hole and then use a herbie setup. Using it the intake and exit are both submerged eliminating any air. It requires that second drain though as a backup. The only noise from it will be water overflowing into the overflow box and then water flowing between baffles in the sump.

Re: More tank problems

I just put a valve on my pvc drain line (after the overflow) and am able to adjust the flow enough to get rid of the slurrping... It was a simple fix $5 valve and done. Now if only I could get my skimmer to shut up.

that is what I do too...but I want to be able to open it up

I just put a valve on my pvc drain line (after the overflow) and am able to adjust the flow enough to get rid of the slurrping... It was a simple fix $5 valve and done. Now if only I could get my skimmer to shut up.

This is the most dangerous thing you can do when plumbing

Re: More tank problems

I just put a valve on my pvc drain line (after the overflow) and am able to adjust the flow enough to get rid of the slurrping... It was a simple fix

that is what I figured...which is why I am asking about multiple holes....I will snap some pics shortly

Youmean this is bad-LOL

In the unlikely event it gets clogged I presume????

so you would not go this route?

P1100306.jpg

Ball valve on the left is the return, the ball valve on the right is above the pump, and then I have the gate valve after the quick disconnect.

If my return ball valve is wide open, my tank makes "some" noise. I close the ball valve to about 1 o'clock as you can see-

And no, my tanks PH is not 6.7-DOH!

it is called a "Herbie" style overflow. lots of people do it, but they should have a second "backup" drain for the off chance that the primary gets clogged up with a snail or algae or something.

Research Herbie overflow and learn all about it. It is not dangerous if there is a backup drain. :)

I do not use the method, but I would if I knew about it before setting up my tank the way that it is. It will take a major overhaul to change at this time.

dsoz

Drain should always be full open. You have to throttle down the return (pump).

This is easily accomplished by having a pump able to pump more water than the drain overflow capacity.

Especially with mag pumps, this is a plus: less power used with a small pump turned down.

The noise in the overflow box can be of 2 kinds:

- water splashing

- air suction noise (with or without an air hole)

The water splashing noise is due to the limited amount of water going through the drain, compared to the size and water flow.

Now you have 2 ways to have more water there:

- put a valve an limit the amount of water going down. More water will stay in the overflow/pipe. This way you are choking the drain----> risky

- have more water via pumping more water in the display. For accomplishing this you need a good pump (compared to your overflow) and a ball valve (my opinion is that a gate is too risky here and not useful. They are good for skimmers)

The air noise can be silenced with a muffler

Hope this helps

it is called a "Herbie" style overflow. lots of people do it, but they should have a second "backup" drain for the off chance that the primary gets clogged up with a snail or algae or something.

Research Herbie overflow and learn all about it. It is not dangerous if there is a backup drain. :)

I do not use the method, but I would if I knew about it before setting up my tank the way that it is. It will take a major overhaul to change at this time.

dsoz

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I went for a silenced overflow box for my display and an external durso for the frag tank. I knew about it when I built my drains but I still consider it not completely safe. One of the basic rules of plumbing is to never choke the a drain.

The safe* second pipe is not an option in this specific system as I can see from the dimensions of the box.

*works well if you only have one snail in your tank (laugh)

I have no freakin clue what anybody is saying. I don't speak "plumbing" (or I I tend to tune it out.(scratch)

Speaking of overflows, Alex, the one we got from you is also kinda noisy and sometimes gurgles and sounds like a toilet flushing.

It works great but just wondering if there is a safe simple way to cut down on the noise? I would rather deal with the noise then deal with water all over the nice basement however.....

and changed out my mag 9.5 to a rio 2100

You're pushing the limits of a restricted 1" horizontal drain.

It will drain, but it won't be quiet until your only pushing around 300GPH(which is just about perfect on a 40g system).

The rio2100 is rated around 700GPH. Yours is pushing around 500GPH give or take depending on how you plumbed it.

Try a smaller pump like an Ehiem 1250, or throttle back your current pump.

You will hear water flowing through the drain, but no slurping or flushing.

In the unlikely event it gets clogged I presume????

P1100306.jpg

QUOTE]

Brad,

Put a Tee right below bulkhead with an elbow pointing down to the sump(like a Durso under the tank). If you do have something block the main line(valve), you will have a backup drain.

If you ever get a recirculating skimmer, you can feed it from the overflow that way.

I have no freakin clue what anybody is saying. I don't speak "plumbing" (or I I tend to tune it out.(scratch)

Speaking of overflows, Alex, the one we got from you is also kinda noisy and sometimes gurgles and sounds like a toilet flushing.

It works great but just wondering if there is a safe simple way to cut down on the noise? I would rather deal with the noise then deal with water all over the nice basement however.....

I think we can do something for that too... Put your eel on a leash first DOH!

I still have to go to Isaac, maybe I could check it out. PM me.

PS: I love your anonymous rep points!

I have restricted the drain but I put a filter sponge on the 1" pvc overflow that way nothing can fall down in and resrict the flow. I imagine if I neglected the tank for a long period of time I could have problems. I have been running this way for several years now with no overflowing events. Now if I could figure out a way to stop spilling water every other day...!

I think we can do something for that too... Put your eel on a leash first DOH!

I still have to go to Isaac, maybe I could check it out. PM me.

PS: I love your anonymous rep points!

I would leash the eel if I could find him! That would be awesome if you could come check it out!(clap)

PM sent more "anonymous rep points coming your way as soon as I can!"

I wouldn't suggest tearing apart tanks to build anything new. Too much chance of breaking one or both in the process of tearing them apart. To get a completely silent overflow my suggestion would be to go ahead and drill that second hole and then use a herbie setup. Using it the intake and exit are both submerged eliminating any air. It requires that second drain though as a backup. The only noise from it will be water overflowing into the overflow box and then water flowing between baffles in the sump.

Rick, do you feel like making a drive out to my house? I'll drain the tank and we can drill it right here and I can pick up a bulkhead an what not and go from there. I don't have standard baffles in my sump, I'm using egg crate as my baffles, so there's no noise there, which is really nice.

• Like 1

Brad,

Put a Tee right below bulkhead with an elbow pointing down to the sump(like a Durso under the tank). If you do have something block the main line(valve), you will have a backup drain.

If you ever get a recirculating skimmer, you can feed it from the overflow that way.

I appreciate the thought, but I am not doing any plumbing work-(laugh)

I feel safe in that I will never have to come up to you and say "you told me so".

If I opened the valve 100%, I would think that makes it like any other tank with a standard overflow pipe without restrictions. I added the ball valve so I can shut it, and the gate valve on the intake if I ever need to pull the sump. You may see the quick disconnects below the gate and ball valve.

I posted the pic as sort of a joke after reading Alex's post

"This is the most dangerous thing you can do when plumbing"

It was meant as a

"like this, Alex???"

Back to Mick's thread he has a problem, I'm in denial