More tank problems

jgf86123

Ok, so I'm almost at the end of my rope here, I'm about to the point where I'm gonna tear the whole thing down and either sell it outright or trade it for something like a biocube.

I finally got the top off the box, got a 90 inserted, got it positioned right, got a hole drilled in the top of my return line, right as it comes out of the tank, and got a piece of tubing stuck down in about 8" or so, and changed out my mag 9.5 to a rio 2100, and, while it's not quite as loud as before, its still way to loud for it to be in what is essentially our bedroom, we canNOT sleep with this thing goin like this.

So, here's my thing, does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Rick, if you read this, you got pm, I wanna talk to ya about some things.

TIA

Mick

Check the link in my sig, nothing has changed from those pics

sorry, im at the end of my rope here and am seriously contemplating a hammer right now, that will fix the problem for sure.

and thanks for the link, but, it doesnt help, at all, its nothing like the problem, my problem is this, the water is LITERALLY!!!!! flushing down the gotverdamnt drain, its pissing me off, royally, and im ready to kill my tank, for good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's still flushing, the air hole on the top of your durso/drain is too small. It's not letting enough air in, so the water builds up to a full siphon and then drains rapidly with the flushing noise. I drilled and tapped mine to fit a John Guest valve, so it's adjustable. You could also try restricting the return pump with a ball valve, that'd accomplish the same thing.

• Like 1

I think you need to experiment with restricting the flow at your 90 until you get the perfect flow. That will be quiet. The flushing is because the flow isn't regulated. The water flows out too fast, then you get an air bubble, gurgle, flow slows, backs up, starts all over again.

Is your 90 facing up, or down? I think you need the intake to be water only, and then the air line will provide just enough air to prevent the gurgle.

Sorry to hear it has been rough going.

Good Luck!

Gabe

If it's still flushing' date=' the air hole on the top of your durso/drain is too small. It's not letting enough air in, so the water builds up to a full siphon and then drains rapidly with the flushing noise. I drilled and tapped mine to fit a John Guest valve, so it's adjustable. You could also try restricting the return pump with a ball valve, that'd accomplish the same thing.[/quote']

Andy, your a genius, I just drilled the hole bigger, and badam, its quieter, I need to get one of those valves you're talking about and I'll probably enlarge the hole even more after doing that, but, for now, its livable as long as we're awake lol

I'm actually seriously giving thought to setting the 20 back up' date=' temporarily, and tearing the 40 and 30 down and taking them to Rick to see if he can't take em apart and build me an AIO tank lol[/quote']

I have the two tanks I had set up in my garage, the big one I think is 28g, you are welcome to run it for awhile. It has a herbie/weir overflow you can play with and maybe learn from it. They are just sitting out there empty

Ok, Jess hates our bedroom, so we sleep in what is basically the living room, the tank is in the living room, and until i can get it completely silent, I can't run the return pump at night, which kinda blows, ya know?

It's why I'm considering an AIO, its a LOT easier to make those silent.

I have the two tanks I had set up in my garage' date=' the big one I think is 28g, you are welcome to run it for awhile. It has a herbie/weir overflow you can play with and maybe learn from it. They are just sitting out there empty[/quote']

Steve, you rock, I'll talk to Jess, she's got a busy schedule this week, 7 shifts no less, so I'm not exactly sure when we could do it, but, we'll figure it out.

Thanks man

And, on a plus note, after making the hole larger, the only sound I'm hearing now is air sucking, no water gurgling, which is a MAJOR plus, so if I can figure out the air sucking noise, I, hopefully, *says a prayer to the gods* have the noise issue figured out.

In the future, do NOT buy a pre-drilled tank, unless you plan on drilling more holes, which is what I should of done.

guess I could always tear the 40 down, take it to Rick, have him drill me some more holes, and use a different drain method, but I really really don't want to drain 40g of water guys, thats a major pain in my ***, not to mention just another way of keeping me in the doghouse.

Steve, you rock, I'll talk to Jess, she's got a busy schedule this week, 7 shifts no less, so I'm not exactly sure when we could do it, but, we'll figure it out.

Thanks man

Hey no problem, we'll need to route the overflow down a little so the water level is lower than I ran it. I havent had time to mess with it, we're doin a little remodel on the house so I've been spendin my "tank" time working on tile and paint (laugh)But just let me know

Steve

was that a yes you can have multiple holes?

No it was not. I don't think having multiple holes will help. I have 2 because I have 2 90 and 2 bh in my box. Also my box has a built in silencer.

Mick, as for the noise from air suction you can built a simple muffler.

Like the ones on the skimmers air intake.

Or a diy like this one: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196185

Re: More tank problems

I see...I ask because there is a hole in my inbound return line but it doesnt seem to allow enough air, flushing when at full speed, but where the hole is drilled would be very difficult to get to...however on the back there is a 90 that I could drill another one in...would that help?