More tank problems

jgf86123

Rick' date=' do you feel like making a drive out to my house? I'll drain the tank and we can drill it right here and I can pick up a bulkhead an what not and go from there. I don't have standard baffles in my sump, I'm using egg crate as my baffles, so there's no noise there, which is really nice.[/quote']

I'll need to talk to my wife. Maybe this weekend if she doesn't mind.

For those that are unclear about the Herbie overflow it really is pretty simply. You simply add a valve to your drain that you can use to dial the flow back so it matches the same flow as the return is pumping. By doing this you can get the drain submerged under water preventing any air from flowing through it which is what causes the noise. The only catch is that it needs the second backup drain just in case the primary drain ever gets plugged (even just a little can cause the water level to rise). The second drain doesn't need to be limited at all. (it does need to be capable of handling the full flow if necessary so I wouldn't suggest limiting it anyway) It does need to be above the normal water line in the overflow. I.E. You adjust the flow to keep the primary one submerged and the backup out of the water or perhaps with just a trickle of water flowing through it. In my opinion this makes sense and is safer than any single drain anyway. (I don't consider a single drain to be safe regardless of the drain method or flow rate)

it is called a "Herbie" style overflow. lots of people do it, but they should have a second "backup" drain for the off chance that the primary gets clogged up with a snail or algae or something.

Research Herbie overflow and learn all about it. It is not dangerous if there is a backup drain. :)

I do not use the method, but I would if I knew about it before setting up my tank the way that it is. It will take a major overhaul to change at this time.

dsoz

Thats exactly why I asked if it was a stand alone drain or if he had an emergency. I have mine this way on both my tanks and you can ajust them dead silent.

Sounds like KIm has the same thing going on as you Mick, maybe she's in denial with me???

Whatever the cure is, I hope you find it, for your and Jess' sake;)

Yes Kim and I have the same problem on our FOWLR tank, I have just dialed back the line from the pump (after the pump, of course) a bit and this has helped with the flushing some, still does it occasionally. But we dont sleep in our basement, so it ok for now. Would be nice if it and the skimmer could be quiet. Will have to look into the muffler thing for the skimmer! I too have an empty pill bottle, will work on that if I have time today!

Beth

Yes Kim and I have the same problem on our FOWLR tank, I have just dialed back the line from the pump (after the pump, of course) a bit and this has helped with the flushing some, still does it occasionally. But we dont sleep in our basement, so it ok for now. Would be nice if it and the skimmer could be quiet. Will have to look into the muffler thing for the skimmer! I too have an empty pill bottle, will work on that if I have time today!

Beth

What's the empty pill bottle for? Did you take a whole bunch of pills so the noise wouldn't bother you?;)I supposse that would work too.

What's the empty pill bottle for? Did you take a whole bunch of pills so the noise wouldn't bother you?;)I supposse that would work too.

LOL... Ya that would work... but the pill bottle is to make a muffler for the air line to try to quiet it.