reef octopus skimmer

stylaster

I love the reef octopus stuff. I have the nw200 (ancient 2yr old version) on my 150 and it's a killer. I know it's not the exact one you are looking at but from my experience with the octopus line (the store here in redmond runs them on their systems too) I'll go with them any day.

Where did you get the mesh? I want to mesh mod my skimmer!

I have the NW200 as well. Its great. I increased the venturi size' date=' added mesh, and redid the elbow from the pump to the skimmer body. I get a full cup a week (i only have 3 fish). Doing the mods brought the wattage from 80 to 43.[/quote']

Roy,

Get the MSX200 if you can. Trust me, I'm running spectra's MSX200 on my 90g (5 small fish) and it would ROCK your 120g.

The MSX200 uses the same pump/impeller/volute/wattage as the 160 but takes more advantage of the pump.

anyone using one of these? I was looking at getting the reef octopus extreme 160 with Sicce PSK-2500 pump.

This will be for a 120 gallon sps based system.

Roy,

Get the MSX200 if you can. Trust me, I'm running spectra's MSX200 on my 90g (5 small fish) and it would ROCK your 120g.

The MSX200 uses the same pump/impeller/volute/wattage as the 160 but takes more advantage of the pump.

I agree with Jon if you have the space I would bump up and go with the MSX200. Its only $20 more :)

not sure if it would fit with the height it would cut it close' date=' only leaves about an inch. Is that enough room to remove the skimmer cup?[/quote']

You only need .5" to get the cup off, but make sure the o-ring is well lubed. If it is dry, it will be a PITA to get off.

I just bought a reef octopus 350 xtreme it's the best skimmer i have ever had!! Such a beast!!! Go with the reef octopus it's pump are from Italy not some cheap pumps like sedra or sealiine which takes alot of power to run. P.S you can't go wrong with Brand name equipments!!

Go with the reef octopus it's pump are from Italy not some cheap pumps like sedra

Easy now! :D

Sedra pumps aren't cheap. Neither in retail price nor quality. They are VERY dependable pumps, if you take care of them.

They don't have restart problems either, unlike Sicce pumps.

As far as wattage vs. performance you are right. Sicce's are a great pump.

Just don't go talking smack about the sedras LOL!

Check out this...MSX 200 on steroids...I got rid of tube for air intake and put gravel vacuum adapter on...yea, I know the upper clear tube is big, but it serves as a muffler...I am still experimenting on muffler designs that cut sound but not reduce air intake or increase resistance...!!! Plus, I took out mesh mod and put in purple pinwheel...positive improvement.!

Look at the crap this pulls out of my 135 in 2 days!!!

DSC00382.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00378-1.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

Trip 2 weeks ago to Yosemite....sorry, couldn't help it!!!

DrMerle(rock2)

• 1 month later...