Co2 Refill

Optimusprime3605

I've always used a 5lb cylinder for my calcium reactor but as of late, I've been thinking of getting a larger cylinder. What is the next step up and the most common, that is readily available for exchange? Is there a big difference in price, let's say, between a 5lb and a 20lb bottle?

At the moment, I exchange my bottle approximately every 7 to 8 months. Now that my sps are steadily growing into colonies, demands will increase, hence the search for a larger bottle.

Thank you for any advice...

~If anyone out there has a larger bottle laying around, lmk!

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

I use MainBrew (5670 NW Clara Ln, Hillsboro, OR 97124) for my exchanges.   If you've got the space, 20lb is the industry standard for Soda Machines at restaurants.  And that's what I upgraded to.  

Just bring your existing bottle in, tell them you'd like to upgrade to a 20lb bottle and exchange.  They'll charge you for the price difference between a new 5lb and a new 20lb, and then the cost of the refill.   Super easy.

(I started in your situation years ago.   Super Pretty new 5lb bottle.   Now, I just do exchanges - don't care what the refill bottle looks like.  It's soo much easier.)

• Like 1

upgrade to the 20lb. I have 5, 10, and 20 lb tanks. The 5 is like $17 and the 20 is like $25 at airgas. I have never had an issue swapping either at the SE, NE or vancouver airgas. 
I would watch CL for a 20 and keep the 5 in case you run out on a weekend. I see 20s on CL for $50-100. Sometimes with regulators. There is always a few people getting out of brewing and letting them go cheap. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CrabbyCrabs said:

Wait for a 50. They cost about the same to refill as a 20

Just about. There seems to be a price for just the swap with the actual CO2 being super cheap. Like less than a dollar per pound or something.

Also, maybe its just my luck but I have exchanged a ton and never been charged the recert fee. However, I don't make a point to announce the tank is out of date. I can't remember a clerk ever looking at the date either. 

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for all the options! I really appreciate it!

I am purchasing a 20# bottle on Wednesday, from someone getting out of the brewing hobby. Someone mentioned, cylinders can be had for cheap, when they're getting out, and they're right, $40 for the bottle! I also made the drive to Homebrew Exchange on Interstate ave, to exchange my 5# bottle, for only $16! As opposed to $30+ at Airgas in Vancouver (ripoff). To exchange a 20 pounder at Homebrew, it's only $35, a 50 pounder is $55!

Looking for another 20 pounder! So if you got one, hit me up, please!

Thanks again, y'all, for all the advice and different options!

Mods, please shut it down!

Sent from Atlantis 🤙

• Like 1