Tank cycle

J-Dog

Just got tank going again, but I’m a little stuck with the cycle process.   I’m using dry rock, but I bought some Ocean Direct Live Reef sand.  I’m not sure using the sand will put my tank into the full tank cycle I need, but I don’t have a cycling test kit (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) to make sure it’s working.  Anyone have any advice that can help?  Or anyone near Oregon City that would happen to have a test kit I could borrow or buy to test the water myself?   Thanks in advance!

The problem is can’t find any place that sells pure ammonia

1 hour ago, Exodus said:

The easiest way I found was to purchase a thing of Ammonia, get a Seachem Ammonia Alert test for the glass ($7), then daily pour enough in to read 1~2ppm of Ammonia. When you can drop it to 0 in 24 hours you are cycled! 

6 minutes ago, J-Dog said:

The problem is can’t find any place that sells pure ammonia

Thats ok, even dollar store Ammonia works its just diluted with water requiring the use of more. This is where the Seachem test comes handy so you can visually check every 5 minutes to see where you are at opposed to having to repeat titration tests only guessing by the shade and color card.

13 hours ago, Flashy Fins said:

I'm in Oregon City and have API tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and high pH, but I see their expiration dates range from 5/17 to 7/17. Not sure how accurate they'd be, considering, but you're welcome to them if you want. They're just collecting dust with me.

Thanks for the offer, but ocboat is going to let me use his kit.  If something goes bad, I'll drop u a PM

• Like 1