oh wow another 29 Biocube thread.

HighschoolReefer

Biocube 29's are easily one of the most common tanks in this hobby, especially for nano's, so its no surprise that thats my first salty tank. :happy: i have about 30 pounds of live rock in the tank, in an arrangement that I think should do well. my current plan is to have this be a euphyllia dominated tank, with Frogspawn, Torches and maybe a Hammer. Im also considering a dedicated Zoa rock and maybe a few other things. all LPS or Softies though. my current stocking is 8 hermits, 2 turbos, one Occelaris clown, one Banggai Cardinal, one Royal Damsel, and one Lawnmower blenny. .its been setup for about two months, and im just about to get started with a few corals. starting with hopefully a frogspawn or two this weekend.while this is my first saltwater tank, it is my 4th overall tank, I have 3 others. a 29 gallon high-tech planted tropical community tank, a 20 gal low-tech planted freshwater semi-aggressive tank, and a 20 gallon tank with my first, and favorite, fish, a big ol' goldie named Jasper. so while this is my first dive into saltwater,(other than cliffjumping in cabo a few years back), I think that im on the right track, however any and all suggestions and tips are GREATLY appreciated, cause I think I know a good bit, but I probably dont. pics to come, thanks for reading!

Good luck with the tank! I also love the corals you are going for. I hope your lawnmower blenny does O.K. My tank has no visible algae and I have had two if these starve to death that could not figure out how to eat a variety of frozen foods or pellets!

My blenny is feeding on sinking wafers actually. The store I bought him from had him on them almost exclusively, so im hoping that thats enough.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Judging by the the username, I see you're getting addicted young. That's the way to do it! :laugh:

There are so many euphyllia corals available now, you should be able to have a really colorful, beautiful tank that's not too high-maintenance going that route. Looking forward to seeing your progress! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HighschoolReefer said:

My blenny is feeding on sinking wafers actually. The store I bought him from had him on them almost exclusively, so im hoping that thats enough.

May be I will try that if I ever get another lawnmower blenny. I just hate having finicky fish and seeing them starve. It makes you feel helpless.....and responsible. They are just filled with so much personality though!

• Like 1

Judging by the the username, I see you're getting addicted young. That's the way to do it! [emoji23]
There are so many euphyllia corals available now, you should be able to have a really colorful, beautiful tank that's not too high-maintenance going that route. Looking forward to seeing your progress! 

[emoji23] I am getting hooked young yeah! Thats what I was thinking. Im aiming for a colorful, attractive tank with a good amount of movement without complex dosing or $300 lights. [emoji23]

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HighschoolReefer said:

Well no corals yet. I was going to pick up some frags from my girlfriends tank today but the plans fell through. emoji20.png wednesday it is..

I can give you a few frags too! ?If you can make it to the store tour next weekend I can bring them then.

• Like 1

Had a great time at the store tour today! Id like to say a HUGE thank you to Emerald525 and Jaremevens for my first corals! Got them in place and theyre looking great! First, a whole tank shot, 4fee9026dc6a06b95893b4966546d456.jpg then, the green star polyps, 3227ee14400779bb6bfc84b3867e9d4a.jpg after that, comes the frogspawn, 3c880e01d1b1aad5c3c969a7c4e2f896.jpg up after that, the hammer! ca42de6318fe9c326d684de857aa527e.jpg last but not least, the Duncan. d6b33f5d09df508dbd4e7c84b8b5c24b.jpg these are all gorgeous pieces and im so excited to have them. Still alot more to be done of course, but its off to a great start!

• Like 3

999b226d6e481d013cde66e45f656c74.jpg So the tank is still looking pretty empty, which is to be expected, its only a few monthsold and Im on a highschool students budget. But Im trying to figure out what to add next. Im thinking a Lobophyllia would look nice on the substrate, and I know I want a candycane in the crack in the rocks in the center, but other than that im more or less stumped. Any suggestions on what to add to fill out the space a bit more? Softies or lps. Thanks!

• Like 2

You could add some zoanthids or mushrooms, but they can quickly take over your rocks, so it's best to isolate them on an island.  I can bring you some frags if you're coming to the May meeting. 

Nice fire shrimp! That's a critter on my wish list. I always spend all my money on corals and fish and then remember I wanted the shrimp. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighschoolReefer said:

Well my Cardinal has passed on. emoji20.png Poor guy just wouldnt eat. I tried everything too. Considering getting another one just cause theyre one of my favorite fish but Im gunna wait for now.

Sorry to hear that.  I try to only purchase fish that I can see eat at the shop to reduce the risk but that isn't always possible.  Even then, the extra move into another tank or QT can put them over the edge so it's always a possibility to get one that ultimately won't take food.  Hopefully you get a more cooperative one next go around.  Fortunately, they are relatively common at the LFS so you should have a good chance to score a healthy one soon.