NEED URGENT help in NE Portland

Higher Thinking

Hey everyone,

I just showed up to work and overnight my anemone got shredded in the power head in my office tank.  I work off 181st, right where it turns into Airport Way, but I live in Scappoose so I can't get any supplies. I'm desperately hoping someone in this area would have 10 or so gallons of saltwater that I could buy from them.  Are any of you brave souls out and about today?!  My ammonia is already at .25 and there are still tiny particles of the anemone throughout the tank.  Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.  PM me or reply here. 

Thanks,

Andrew

Petco sells pre-mixed water. Here's one close to you: Petco Animal Supplies, 6655 NE Glisan St, Portland, OR 97213

Thanks for the info. I just called them and they don't sell saltwater.  There's a little shop up the road from here called CB's Tropical, but there were closed yesterday due to weather and no word yet on today.  I don't have buckets or hose though which makes life even more difficult.

Oh dang man... Glad to hear you got the water sorted.  Did it do much damage or is it too early to tell?

I think it's still too early to tell. Even when the ammonia was at .25, all the zoas were open.  I changed out about half the tanks water and added a bottle of Instant Ocean bacteria.  I think a problem I'll have is that I cannot easily vacuum out my sump and I know a bunch of that anemone is deteriorating in there.  I'm hoping that the bacteria can handle the extra temporary bioload.  For now, everything appears good, but certainly too early to know for sure.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the bacteria can handle the extra temporary bioload.  For now, everything appears good, but certainly too early to know for sure.

The inevitable NH3 spike could and prob will nuke your biofilter but I'll bet cash money you already know that. Is there a mechanical sock in the sump? I'd change that 2x daily. Proactively manage the WQ with aggressive water changes 50%+ daily, adjust the skimmer to run wet for a while, increase or add additional aeration, grab a net and net out as many 'nem frags as you can. Hold off on feeds for a while. May the Force be with you on this one. Good luck!

• Like 6

Andrew how are things looking?

The inevitable NH3 spike could and prob will nuke your biofilter but I'll bet cash money you already know that. Is there a mechanical sock in the sump? I'd change that 2x daily. Proactively manage the WQ with aggressive water changes 50%+ daily, adjust the skimmer to run wet for a while, increase or add additional aeration, grab a net and net out as many 'nem frags as you can. Hold off on feeds for a while. May the Force be with you on this one. Good luck!

Thanks you guys. So I came into work even though I could have stayed home (who doesn't like traveling over thirty miles in this weather?!) because I wanted to do another water change.  I tested ammonia this morning and it is straight zero! So that's a huge relief.  I realize I may not be completely out of the woods because there may be more decomposing anemone, but it looks like the bacteria are currently holding their own.  The extra bottle of bio life probably helped that immensely.  

This tank I'm only doing softies because I wasn't trying to give myself too much work at work and all the zoas, shrooms, and toadstool are open and expanded.  Fish never started acting strange and are still just doing their thing. I only have two clowns and a lawnmower blenny.

I don't have filter socks which is why I was worried about so much "anemone material" in the sump. However, I spent a good deal of time looking around in there (it's a tight fit and not much visual room) and I don't really see any noticeable particulates.  There were definitely some little pieces still glowing in the display, but those have kind of disappeared.  I'm assuming the bioluminescence might have just went away rather than the pieces actually disappearing, but who knows?

Anyway, things are looking good for now. I don't even know if I'll do the extra water change. Thanks again everyone!!

• Like 4