The Story of a Darth Maul Morph Nicknamed The Clarkatoa

TheClark

repost from the original as best as I could come up with from caches and notes...

Background

I was fortunate enough to acquire a special piece of coral from Golden Basket that morphed before my eyes into an amazing and beautiful specimen. This thread's purpose is to document and explain the history and my thoughts on what happened.

History

7/6/2013 Purchased '2 Heads Exotic Darth Maul Zoanthid Polyp' From Golden Basket

After much 'encouragement' from my son, I added these on to an already large golden basket purchase.

Here are the original parents:

Live Coral - 2 Heads Exotic Darth Maul Zoanthid Polyp(390620797663)

pyqata3u.jpg

At this point, I put them on the frag rack and kind of forgot about them. Over the next month I started noticing a transformation occurring.

First off, the orange was super bright, like the brightest of any zoa/paly I have seen. Very nice looking.

Secondly, the previously brown ring started turning green. Here is a pic on 8/11/2013

8/11/2013 - Interesting Colors, So I Posted a Thread '

Dearth maul starting to get a hint of green reminds me of Krakatoa'

e3ypasus.jpg

8/16/2013 - The Maul Gets A New Name

Sasquatch on another forum dubs the newly discovered variety 'The Clarkatoa'. The name sticks as it is quite hilarious and appropriate as a play on Kratatoa and my handle TheClark.

8/21/2013 First Frag

Finally I was brave enough to take a frag. What beauties! It was easy on the original plug because the two heads were pretty far apart. Future fragging was trickier as they seem to be growing together in tight clumps.

3uguquhe.jpg

yvygura7.jpg

ja5e2eqe.jpg

11/15/2013 Orange Begins To Dominate

While they are a far cry from the original GB purchase:

5aharabe.jpg

1/7/2014 Breakthrough on Affecting Coloration

After racking my brain about what was different an idea comes from someone else.

My 13 year old son solved our mystery of why the green is more accentuated at times than others.

I had been thinking that after fragging, or when alkalinity dropped was affecting it. Truth is, it was a much simpler explanation.

He noticed that the heads facing straight up take on the brilliant cheeto orange color to such an extent that the green is masked out.

The heads facing sideways get less light, and the green comes out much more.

So as an experiment, we moved some to a medium light location, and the green band is much more prominent.

So the conclusion is, much like acans, zoas perform differently under different lighting conditions. Like acans, you can control it by moving them around in the tank.

************************************************** **********************************************

**** If you want more green, move it to a medium light location. If you prefer more bright orange, keep them in higher light.***

************************************************** **********************************************

Other Clarkatoa Owner Pictures

Mike Nickerson - 1/22/2014

e4eja6u2.jpg

Jadams7 - 12/7/2013

B12FC3F5-3D67-4723-8474-A76FE06F73DD_zps1ck3addd.jpg

Bombertech 1/14/2014

DSC_0849_zps0bdf2548.jpg

Stylaster 12/5/2013

clark_zps19e86c22.jpg

Updated Pics From My Tank

Grown in medium light

u8uze8ud.jpg

jeny8ype.jpg

Parent Under High Light, Oranged Out But Still Beautiful

hasy3ahe.jpg

My Theory

My theory is that this GB purchase was just a very luck find. The mauls were still acclimating to LED lights when purchased. Perhaps they were maricultured and still adjusting to captivity, hard to say.

Just like acans and acropora though, sometimes you get a piece of coral and really luck out as it acclimates to your lights.

As presented in this thread, they are definitely affected by different light intensities, perhaps by spectrum. Hard to say but time will tell as more people are growing them out.

They reproduce true, and the babies are little clones of the parents, equally happy under LEDs.

Clarkatoa Lights

Nothing fancy, just a blue and white TaoTronics LED off of ebay. Blues rab about 80% at the time, whites perhaps 50%. Just enough white to take the edge off of the blue.

Since then they have grown under T5s, full spectrum LEDs, GU10s in my sump frag rack, custom full spectrum leds. You name it. They still retain the glowing orange coloration. As my son discovered, the theory is that too much light causes the orange to take over.

Like many other corals, lights can affect your results with this particular Maul Morph.

Well, that is the story, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. No doubt some will find this controversial. I find it a great opportunity to share information about the joy of having a pretty dull piece of coral turn into something quite special.

• 5 months later...

good luck fragging them.. I would recommend making a few extras so you have back ups if the mother melts on ya.. razor blade in between the polyps before and crack the rock in between.. Or crack the rock and see where it spreads and split up between the polyps in the crack.. 

once split in half.. angle your bone/wire cutters outside the polyp on one side.. and the other under it halfway down below the polp. it should lift right off with a small bit of rock under the polyp.. perfect single frag you cut off the matte of the joining polyps

I am so sad to be down to one dying head, not sure what happened.  I haven't sold or traded one in many months, its still a mystery to me why.  Tried many dips including bayer, revive, iodine, furan2, nothing could bring them back.  They sit in a system with tons of healthy zoas.   I am very glad Jase still has them going.  

I have yet to acquire some but I plan on snagging some in the not too distant future. All of your corals colors are great Jadams, Sps,Lps,Zoas all look good.

Just saw this...thanks man! I hear your setup is a sweet one, I will have to bring ya down some goodies one of these days and check it out .

Just saw this...thanks man! I hear your setup is a sweet one, I will have to bring ya down some goodies one of these days and check it out .

You are quite the ways from Corvallis but if you did find yourself in the Valley I would be happy to have a get together of sorts, I love chatting reef...and as far as my setup it really isn't anything special, a little of this, a little of that, I am proud of it though and I would not mind you coming by to check things out. maybe send you home with a cooler full, I love to trade and I always have something that needs a trim.

Jase and possibly two other guys are the only ones I know that could have them anymore.

I have always done my best to keep the genetics sustained for the next reefers but you can only do your best and nothing more.

You Win some and you Lose some.

that's what I say about that, I have lost my OG nightmares twice for no apparent reason so I feel your pain.

Although I should have made that trade with you long ago for the Clarkatoas, my bad.

Yes Robert, I am regretting not trading them with you sooner, another colony of safety.  :)  

There is a good chance someone will set me up.

They have been selling on ebay for 200+ per head this last year.  

I think I traded very reasonably with everyone, nowhere near this cost and not once for cash.  Like many coral trades, that deal came along with the idea of backups if this happened.  So hopefully the line will make it back to the old frag tank one of these days.

Found one more confirmed source!  Stylaster has them too.  One more guy to check with out of the 8 that picked them up from me directly.  I did hear rumor that Jack The Reefer is nursing one along still.  Jack, I still have your efflo frag, very cool piece we traded for.

Long live Clarkatoa!!  Too cool of a story to see them die out...