Skimmer almost finished

wanareef

Been busy today building my skimmer for the new tank.

The cone was made in the oven and it's extruded material vs cast. The extruded is eaiser to form than the cast - I tried several times and the cone just would not come up. The extruded one I got a nice "tall" cone.

The neck is a friction fit made with three pieces of acrylic, 1/4" on the out sides and 3/8" on the inside. The first one I made (tried) was all 1/4" but the "O" ring would not go in, and it's suppose to be 1/4" material DOH!

Just waiting for the pumps(Sedra's 9000 meshmod) to get here so I can finish the skimmer. Will be using Uni-Seals for the pumps and the outlet. This is a "little" big for a 79gal tank, but I made this for the future upgrade and won't have to build another one. :D

post-77-141867773779_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867773781_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867773784_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867773787_thumb.jpg

DOH! (nutty) The body is 10" cast, the neck is 6" cast as well as the flat pieces. The cone is the only non cast piece and it forms in the oven really nice. It's about 24" tall, fit under the stand and I choose Sedra's and I had used them before, they work great, the price is right $109 ea, free shipping for 2, 2yr warranty and parts are readily available anywhere.

I wanted to use these Sicce's but these are new and made in Italy, parts are still filtering in and not everybody carries them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice work! I really like the friction-fit neck.

For the cone, it's also possible to make one using a heat gun. I tried making one the BBQ, but quit when I almost set the MDF jig on fire :-D The heat gun worked, without the conflagration.

Nice work! I really like the friction-fit neck.

For the cone, it's also possible to make one using a heat gun. I tried making one the BBQ, but quit when I almost set the MDF jig on fire :-D The heat gun worked, without the conflagration.

Wow Andy I had to look that one up :)

Conflagration-

Pronunciation: \ˌkän-flə-ˈgrā-shən\ Function:noun Etymology:Latin conflagration-, conflagratio, from conflagrareDate:1600 1: fire ; especially : a large disastrous fire2: conflict, war

Here are some videos too.......................

The skimmer is finished, but just too big to fit the little space I left it so I made another one. DOH!

It's the same size as the MSX160 but without the base

Originally the gate valve came straight out making a 45 to the pump, but that was tooo wide and had to make a change with the 45 elbow. And also had to take the corner off the back so the skimmer would shift a little in the sump

The pump intake is facing downward and there is about 1/2" or less of spacing between the bottom of the sump and the intake - no sucking bubbles here (nono)

post-77-141867744931_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867744932_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867744935_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867744937_thumb.jpg

So what good is a skimmer without the collector

It's about 15" tall and the tube is 6". I ran out of 3/8" material so I used some 1/4" black (which is too thin for a lid material) and ran an "O" ring groove in the (top) lid and the (bottom) flange since it was only 1/4" material.

There is a ping pong ball in the bottom of the looong white tube, filter floss and charcoal above that, to keep the stink down.

Now if only my tank would finish cycling (nutty)(sad)DOH!

post-77-141867744939_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867744941_thumb.jpg