which tank to use? AP24 or solana 34G

jason7504

yup i can't wait :)..i will post a thread in the members tanks section too :)

more questions...

1) those of you that have a solana, do you keep the top baffle on above the fuge?

2) and where do you put filter floss? above the fuge?

because im thinking about keeping the top baffle/drip tray so i can put some filter floss on top of it. Im not sure where to put the chemi pure because if you put it on top so that the chemi pure takes out some nutrients in the water before it goes into the fuge, wont the chateo not get enough nutrients?

so should I put the chemi pure in the return chamber instead?

If the chemi pure takes out too much that the chaeto can't do it's job I would leave the chemi pure out part of the time. But more likely the chaeto will have enough and just take some of what the chemi pure doesn't. Though, I wouldn't use the chemi pure.

Im with Mad Reefer on this one. I like to leave the chemicals out. I do have the top baffle in, and that is where I run carbon IF I need it. Most of the time the chaeto, CUC and skimmer keep everything pretty clean.

I dont use filter floss, just the sponge in the overflow:D

but dont you risk introducing more nitrates because you cant just toss the filter floss you are just washing the sponge?

im going to get some filter floss at wal mart...

Mad, what kind of macros do you have? doesn't chateo not go sexual?

I have four types of caulerpa that sometimes go sexual and chaeto which does not go sexual. I like chaeto the best for nutrient removal because it is so stable, though it is not the fastest.

Well not a solana but whne I had a AP12 set up in my sons room here is how it went. Chamber one (where water comes in) had a layer of filter floss then a bag of chemi pure then another layer of filter floss. Chamber 2 had the heater and a bag of carbon. Chamber 3 had cheato and a small light to make it grow. Nothing in the last one. I never had an issue with the cheato not growing in there. Even though it does need some nutrients I think the light has alot to do with it. I used submersable leds and left them on 24 7.

I have four types of caulerpa that sometimes go sexual and chaeto which does not go sexual. I like chaeto the best for nutrient removal because it is so stable' date=' though it is not the fastest.[/quote']

do you worry that when they go sexual that you will get lots of calupera in your main tank?

Well not a solana but whne I had a AP12 set up in my sons room here is how it went. Chamber one (where water comes in) had a layer of filter floss then a bag of chemi pure then another layer of filter floss. Chamber 2 had the heater and a bag of carbon. Chamber 3 had cheato and a small light to make it grow. Nothing in the last one. I never had an issue with the cheato not growing in there. Even though it does need some nutrients I think the light has alot to do with it. I used submersable leds and left them on 24 7.

do you have a media rack in chamber 1 or are they just layered in there?

ok because my tank will have:

chamber 1-skimmer and heater

chamber 2- fuge and filter floss on top of drip plate

chamber 3- return pump, RowaPhos and ATO

do you worry that when they go sexual that you will get lots of calupera in your main tank?

I don't worry about calurpa in the main tank, I find it easy to take care of so I put it in my displays. But so far I guess my snails eat it before it can grow because it has not shown up anywhere I didn't put it. Or it is because I remove it when it starts to go. I don't want it to affect water quality, it has turned my water green before. It was green for a few hours.

Ph 8.1-8.3 is good I think. Stability is more important.

Alk would be better if you can keep it at 9-10. but anything above 7 should be good.

i think its my salt...im using TM pro which i heard has low alk and probably pH..when i finish the bag im going to get seachem reef crystals because it has a good balance of Mg, Ca, and alk