my new 225 tank

fly guy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tanks been up for almost two days.........First one of my sps transferred over......i prolly wont add any more for a week or so.......but just wanted to throw one frag in to see how it might like its new home.....threw a milli frag in there.........3/4 PE after a couple of hours

He was a little ticked off at first as i just slam dunked him from tank to tank....but hes fine now : )

DSC_1739.jpg

FLOW!!!!!! BETWEEN THE 2 PUMPS' date=' WITCH IS BETTER, FOR SPLITTING, ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG[/quote']

Why are you so angry???? Geesh. Would you like to talk about your anger issues?? Maybe in a PM conversation, or over a beer??? If you need somebody to talk to Blaine....Im here for ya.

You mean which pump between the Barracuda and the DArt??? They are similar as far as i can tell........the barracuda of course puts out more flow and isnt nearly as quiet as the DArt.

Ive never used a sea swirl, so i dont know how that would relate.

Well ive got a few stonies moved over from the 225.......nothing i REALLy like.......rocks been in the tank for 8 days now.........everythings running right where it should be.........

I moved over a couple of poci's a few acros, 3 little millis and a couple of birdsnest frags.......oh, and a hydro ive got mounted to a frag-mag.

Im gonna let them hang out for a week...see how they do and then start moving some of my better corals over.

Im currently running a 10k xm on the left side and a 15k xm on the right...looks kinda funny but i am determined to do a little growth experiment with the two drastically different bulbs. On paper, the 10k side should get much more growth, but i need to prove it for myself, as i have been really happy with my 15ks.

These are taken with my macro lens, so i cant get a FTS in one frame. One of each side under the different lights and then an extra shot of the left without the 10k on....im not loving the color of that 10k but it is still burning in a little and i really want to see how the growth difference is...IF any

bbleftfrags.jpg

bb90frags.jpg

bb9015kalone.jpg

Thanks Dave : )

I run 3 250 watt xm's over the 225...no actinics. On the 90 I DO have actinics, 2-110w uri supers. although if i was running just 15k's and not the 10...i think i would do with out them as well.

As far as the more growth thing..i am really curious if that extra light and more than double the par is really even usable by the corals. Thats why im doing this little experiment. I have great growth under the 15k's.......but i just want to prove for myself how much difference there really is....if any.

I really dont like the color...at all. IF i prove that the 10k's do provide signifigantly more growth.......i would have to throw some serious actinics up there to get rid of that yellow hue.......

Im going to break up a few corals of similar size and put them in similar spots in the tank on each side and we will see after a 2-3 months how it turns out : )

Tell me more about the magnet frags! :D

What would you like to know?? : )

I make them myself for a few bucks apiece in material costs or you can buy them from aquamags.com.

Making them consists of buying the magnets and encapsulating them inside acrylic or pvc so they wont rust or leak into your tank. Then you can either shape and coat them with epoxy and sand or simply glue a frag to them

I like them a lot : )

Maybe I can buy a few from you once I'm ready for corals?

I hate to say it.......but the frag mags are a great DIY way to save some a few bucks if you really like them. And I have come up with a couple of different ways to make them and am more than happy to share how i did it......BUT, I would have to charge pretty much the same thing Aquamags does IF i were going to make them for sale.

I am looking into a quote for some magnets from a different supplier in bulk.......and we'll see what he comes back with and that could change. but at the price I have to pay for the magnets right now............its pretty much a DIY thing and not a for sale thing

Sorry Suzanne. : (

:)