my new 225 tank

fly guy

Just thought i would post a couple of pics here...im kinda proud of the set up...it took long enough to finally get together being as we had a baby in march...........i started the project in late April.

It is a 225, dsb lps/predator tank......predators yet to be determined as i am just now putting the rock that has been cooking for 10 weeks in the tank...HOPEFULLY this evening if the dust clears a little.

I built the sump myself from scratch out of 1/2" plexi.

The system uses a sequence barracuda to power a Oceans Motions 8 way water router...i had paul cut me a custom drum that is spread evenly 1/3, 1/3 etc......my point in doing it that way was so that i never had more than 1/3 of my cls flow going to the spraybars at one time. You can see in the picture of the plumbing that they are right next to each other as far as the OM ports go.........the other six OM ports go across the back of the tank...3 on each side of the overflow and have omniflex nozzles to control their direction.

The return is powered by sequence dart which also supplies flow to a canister filter for running carbon and a pci 1/4 horse chiller. Lighting consists of 3 250 mh's and 2 110 vho's.

I have all the rock lifted with acrylic rods on a concept which i came up with becasue i hate the look of pvc as well as it allows for much better flow underneath than pvc provides.

As soon as i finish this i am doing a 90 BB sps tank build which is incorporating oceans motions as well as a sweet tank that James built me with a 100% external coast to coast overflow........i am going to have some SERIOUS flow going through it......exact number yet to be determined.(plotting)

post-87-14186776505_thumb.jpg

post-87-141867765052_thumb.jpg

post-87-141867765055_thumb.jpg

post-87-141867765057_thumb.jpg

post-87-14186776506_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

, ( assume that is for diggers to not cause the rocks to tumble down).

Looks like you are off to a good start keep the picture coming..........

thanks...

actually its for complete and thorough flow through the tank....i lift my rock about 3 inches off of the substrate.......I dont practice the theory myself becasue i like the look of rock wall to wall...but i think you could actually get away with much less rock than the 1-1 1/2 lb per gallon standard to achieve adequate biological filtration becasue all of your rock is actually being used....with good random flow and spraybars flowing both in and underneath the rock.....there are no dead spots anywhere.......

just finished putting rock in........kinda sad.......this rock had about 4 different colors of coralline on it before i cooked it.......im really hoping the blue and oranges come back

post-87-141867734082_thumb.jpg

thanks...

actually its for complete and thorough flow through the tank....i lift my rock about 3 inches off of the substrate......

Interesting.............I'd like to see another picture of it (close up) after the sand has settled, if you would please. So if you add "a digger" do you add rubble for them or not? Or do you just let them go as is? Thanks

i posted a little more info on the lift HERE......

and my original one for a glass tank WITH a pvc frame...but the pvc is entirely sumbmerged in the sand and out of sight ....HERE

I think as far as the digger goes...i dont think it would be necessary...but then again, the only "diggers" i have kept are a couple of diffeent eels....ive always been more into corals than the fish...there very well might be some critters that require some rock in the sand............ ??????

heres an update......

had a 46 thati was using as a holding tank for half of my lps........it cracked so i ended up adding a bunch of corals abouot 24 hours after adding water to the system.......

everything seems to be just fine.......the lights on the tankm are pc's off of the 46 though....lol

canopy being worked on still

post-87-141867734084_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well ive added a few more corals, and just today i got in the rest of my plumbing parts for my BB 90. I had James build me a tank with 100% external coast to coast overflows and im going to use a OM 8 way on it as well for flow...only difference is its going to be run by a dart instead of a barracuda

heres a pic of the 225 a little ore stocked and the new that is getting partially unwrapped possibly tonight

2257.jpg

90coasttocoast.jpg

Finallyfound the 3/4" starboard i was looking for and rigged it up with the first invisible rock lift ive done for a BB tank.......worked out just as planned(for a change).......i DID have to cut the hunk of starboard lengthwise to get it into the tank.

Anybody interested in having me make one of these invisible rock lifts for you shoot me a PM and we can talk about it.

starboardspraybarsin.jpg

bulkheads.jpg

Thanks Impur.

Flex pipe IS easier to work with although it takes a little practice or like you say, it is tough to get the angle right and it is also prone to leaking if you dont use a ton of HOT primer and most importantly, make sure that it is seated flush in the fitting.

Put it in the dryer or out in the sun, or in the bathtub full of hot water next time it isnt behaving for you...........

And for perfectly straight runs, use hard pvc

• 4 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind is that the tendency for that flex pipe to curl in one direction is never going to go away completely.....you need to get it soft for the time you are gluing it and use the bends to your advantage................Once in place it will hold the bend you glued it in.........IF you require a perfectly straight run that supports itself, that is where you need to use the good old fashioned hard stuff.........

• 4 weeks later...

:D

rock is done cooking......im filling my BB 90 with water as we speak. (clap) (clap) (clap)

no silly comments on the buckets of water in the tank please they are there to hold the starboard down until there is enough water to put some rock in

Im getting SO CLOSE to 6 months of effort paying off and i can relax and just enjoy the tanks for a while:D

P1010007.jpg

Nice! I only see 4 outputs though?

2 spray bars, 2 top middle, 2 on each of the sides i can aim different directions with the omniflex nozzles.......that coast to coast overflow across the back top made plumbing kinda interesting.

Ive got the drum set up with 3 ports open so it varies between 3 full and 6 partially open at all times with the spraybars never taking more than 1/3 of the total flow...but if needed every now and then i can close the other 6 ports off and blow hard through the spraybars to get anything out from under everything...i dont think i need to from the tests i did but the option is there. I went through 4 drums before figuring out the 3 ports 120 degrees thing ws the way to go...my 225 is set up the same way drumwise...