What would you do?

chorse

A customer walks in to your fish store and says " I'd like to buy this mandarin fish and six line wrasse". You say "What size tank do you have?". The customer replies a 20 gallon but I just had a copepod explosion.

Do you:

A: Sell the fish and retire on the $10 you just made. LOL

B: Tell the customer "Sorry I can't sell you the mandarin because its likely they will only eat live food and a 20 gallon cant support enough copepods for long term care of a mandarin".

Plan B is what I chose. This resulted in an angry customer that said they would go to the competitor who would be glad to sell him one for his nano tank. This is crazy. Right?

From a strictly economic perspective, you should have sold it, that is what many would have done. But I applaud you for doing the right thing. Perhaps that customer will later appreciate your honesty. I know that I wish the person who sold me a mandarin 2o years ago would have explained that I was just going to watch it die a slow, sad death!

Yes, I agree. I just bought a green mandarin dragonet yesterday, and I feel bad about putting it in a 75 with lots of live rock and a refugeum. I wouldn't worry about it. You have to do what is right for the animals you are selling. If you lose one customer due to it, that is too bad, but you are gaining 10 fold by using the same practices. Eventually he will figure out that he was wrong and come back. Just make sure you are open minded and curteous to him again, even though he may have been rude to you.

My customers will tell you that I say no to alot of things. You have to do what is right. There are too many stores out there that won't even take the time to ask the customer questions about their set-up and just sell them whatever they want. We all know how that works out! You can't make everyone happy my friend. But you did the right thing(rock2)

This is just one of the reasons why I posted http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8655about Seahorse recently... Isac is a great guy and always looks at things as a hobbiest first and profit secondly...Nice job..

I have been in the store and have heard him tell customers not to buy a fish because they were not going to have a high success rate and have seen them get pissed and leave... Most people that are truly interested in the hobby WILL appreciate his honesty and wisdom and make better choices. In the end it will eventually lead to more profit for the store because the customer will have faith and trust in a LFS that is honest and come back for more purchases.

Take it from a noobie you did the right thing. I look at the LFS as the expert. I would much rather you be truthful and up front with me then just sale me something to make a buck, and have me fail or unable to maintain it. Will I be disappointed, probably, but if you refer me to something else it usually takes away some of that disappointment. Truthful and upfront = loyal customer!:)

People who are unwilling to listen and learn from others with more knowledge then themselves sadly will kill many things and eventually give up on the hobby. No sense killing a beautiful fish so he could be happy for a few weeks. I have a 75g and I am worried about being able to keep one. This is one of the many reasons I always buy from you Isaac... In hard times economically like this it is harder to pass up a sale, You did the right thing for sure...

Yes' date=' I agree. I just bought a green mandarin dragonet yesterday, and I feel bad about putting it in a 75 with lots of live rock and a refugeum. I wouldn't worry about it. You have to do what is right for the animals you are selling. If you lose one customer due to it, that is too bad, but you are gaining 10 fold by using the same practices. Eventually he will figure out that he was wrong and come back. Just make sure you are open minded and curteous to him again, even though he may have been rude to you.[/quote']

I agree. Maybe someday he'll be back knowing he can get good service at your store.

Only problem is if he gets to depressed about it and quits the hobby before learning whats right.

I applaud your bold decision for plan B. You should stand up for what is right and not just for pure profit. Loyalty and great advice worth more than $10 profit.

I resisted to buy a mandarin when Isaac advised me against buying when my tank was not matured. I listened.

I think honesty and reputation will take you a long way. Keep up the good work.

I heard an interesting story tonight...courtesy of some new folks from Pittsburg, PA. It seems that back East, most fish stores have no relations with "fish clubs". It appears that some lean toward keeping customers in the "dark" regarding husbandry and conservation. Granted, there may be much more of a demand for reef animals back East, but I for one would like to applaud each and every sponser/commercial member that remains part of our forum and club here in the great NORTHWEST. To me it seems as if their purpose is, yes to make a profit, but....to do so while pursuing the ultimate goal of preserving what is left of our natural reefs and educating those who need an education.

Hats off....

Kris

You did the right thing and any of us will tell you that it means alot for the hobby and the animal. I would have done the same thing.

Or I would have tried this...

I agree with plan C. Sell him an upgrade, then the mandarin in a few months.

Also, starting to stock pods is a really great idea for those fish stores who can do so. I know I have talked to dozens of people who wish they could buy pods locally.

Garrett

Chris, I thought that was an interesting story also...keep customers uneducated to sell more product. It seems Bass-ackwards to me. I appreciate our local stores for helping to educate us (me) and trust me, it keeps me coming back to them as I have success after success (knock on wood).

Plan B was the right thing, but I would have tried to push a few BOOKS on him so he could read about the fish and LEARN about them out of a book :)

-Mark