Another new member from Vancouver

darrellw

Hi All,

Another new member here from Vancouver. I'm just in the planning stages, but I've had aquariums of various sorts pretty much my entire life, from the goldfish I tried to pet when I was 4, to my big idea of raising guppies for sale (I at least covered my equipment costs), to some monster Oscars in college. I've even done some saltwater, first was some dwarf seahorses from Aqualand in the 70's (remember those ads in the back of magazines like Boy's Life and Popular Science?).

Anyway, about a month ago my wife looked at my 20 year old, 20 gallon hex freshwater planted tank as said that I could get a new one for Christmas! So I started looking into nano reefs and was quite impressed where the technology is today.

While my plans may change (they certainly have changed a lot so far), right now I'm thinking about the Solana 34 gallon all in one cube. I'm also seriously considering splurging on an LED lighting system, mostly because I don't want a chiller, but also because of the flexibility of adjusting color temp and intensity.

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, but just wanted to say Hi!

-Darrell

You couldn't have chosen a better route to travel for a nano tank. I think the rimless Solona is one of the nicest setups available and the LED lighting is a fantastic idea with unlimited potential and overtime will prove to pay for itself. No chiller, halide bulb replacement, and electrical cost reduction sounds really nice to me.

Great planning thus far and keep us updated.

Garrett

Hi Darrell. Glad to see you post. Andy, Darrell just sits a few cubes further south of us. We're all very close together in the same aisle. Weird how it's such a small world.

I'm really interested in how your LED lights work out. The initial high cost seems daunting but the idea of not replacing bulbs every year and worrying as much about heat seems like a good investment.

Trever

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Does anyone know if any of the shops in the Portland/Vancouver area carry Current USA products, in particular, the Solana? I'd like to support a local shop, and besides, shipping a 20" cube made of glass doesn't seem like the best plan!

-Darrell

Before you dumped the cash on a LED light system be sure to do your homework. I have seen MANY people on the www.reefcentral.com forums trying to sell them, or just ranting about how terrible they are. Dont think of this as shooting down the idea, cause it may work great for you. Just do your research first so you dont get burned. Also, a 150w halide over a open top tank like the one your interested in will transfer very little heat. It may turn out you just dont need a heater =D Welcome, and best of luck.

Oh and also, check the "used goods for sale" forums here, and on reefcentral. You may find one of those lights for cheap if your patient.