Pet Time: Eugene

Hi everyone, just wanted to let people know that Pet Time in Eugene is trying to stock more salties. They are starting to bring in some nice corals; both frags and colonies from local and a far. I am not affiliated with them but went in today for the first time and was nicely surprised. I picked up a couple of colorful staghorns. Just thought I would let everyone know.

thanks,

Chris

Nothing against Pet Time either, but they don't have a great track record with the healthiest of fish.

But, they do have a pair of younger guys working for them now that do know what they are doing (but is it in the budget for the proper equipment?).

Here's hoping, I would like some more variety in Eugene.

P.S.

I do love that Pet Time has the largest fish available in the area. Good fish to fill my 450 with! LOL

Actually, I recently stopped there for crickets and took a look thru the store, and their reptiles were all well fed and had proper equipment, and the fish were all pretty decent, except for the large discus tank - they had one of the worst Costia infections I'd seen, but that's really hard to kick (I recently figured out this was what had been plaguing my discus for 2 years with odd symptoms). I picked up a SWEET piece of LR with some hefty coralline. They also had some nice clams and frags. Of course I had to grit my teeth at the rabbit in a 20g size cage eating peanuts and seeds with no hay, pellets, or veggies. ARRRR. But most people don't know how to care for rabbits properly anyway...just irks me that this is perpetuating the stereotypical horrid setup.

i just feel like the owner has to "force(wife)" sales on you. if you come in for mysids and algae sheets, he tries to sell you stuff you dont need. i was very unhappy when they sold me a huge and expensive container of DT's phyto for my SPS. SPS dont eat phyto(nutty), and they swore by it, and still swear SPS eats it because thats what they feed their corals. The DT's is basically pollution for my tank. I understand trying to make it, but selling a mediocre clam for $80 just doesn't sit right with me.(nono)

i do have to grant that their livestock has changed 180 degrees from what it was a year ago, and i am very happy with the flame angel i got from them. they have some nice frags in there such as the oregon torte.(naughty)

A friend of mine recently went in to get crickets for her tarantula's and to check out there fish, she's looking to add some to her 20g planted set up.

She wound up getting bit by the parrot they have in the store. It was out of the cage, leaned over and nailed her. She was told "It sometimes bites people", it broke skin and she wasn't offered a bandage, or an apology of any sort. She also couldn't get anyone to help her out. So, it's off my list of stores in Eugene I'll be going to.

Yeah, that's pretty much my feeling too.

My mom used to do hand raising of birds and I helped her out. I know the damage a large bird can do to someone, my wife got bit through the lip by one of my mom's birds. Letting a known biter out of the cage seems like asking for trouble to me.

I have been in there recently. The new guys like Chris (?) seem to know about fish. Still, they are very young. The plumbed the setup in front looks good and is a clean installation. They are running a ton of sls 250s in the shop now. I heard they have a huge skimmer plumbed in too. I think the whole system is over 600 gallons.

Paul is pushy. I ordered a pump from him. It was a decent price for a good quality pump but he kept pushing other stuff on me. Don't like that. He tried to sell me cat food!!

I tried to get peppermint shrimp from them and I first asked in late May. They still have not gotten the order straight after three tries and it is late June. So, I just went to Liquid Sunshine instead.

I guess the bottom line is :I don't really trust Paul's knowledge base. He is a nice guy but I don't feel like he really understands reef systems. It is still just a pet shop, not a fish shop. If his new capable fish guys leave, then we are back to the old pet time for sure.

i agree with all the above said. it is hard because the only person that i trust in this town is Paul, from aquaserene. he still has gaps in his knowledge base, but we all do, and he is ALWAYS reading and learning more. he is the GURU when it comes to fish disease. austin knows more about corals, but always seems to ignore the "regulars", and erica is smart and knows a wide variety of info, but seems to try and rip me off sometimes, jacking up the price on an unmarked item, that i know if it had a tag on it would be 10-20% less than what she quoted me.

i feel like eric at liquid sunshine is also pushy and crude and rude at times, sometimes really pssn' me off. he got mad at me for dosing with kalk, and said that kalk is a bad method, well IMO it has been successful for much longer in more reefs than any other system. he embarrassed me in front of several people saying that i was an unfit fish keeper for only doing water changes every 2 weeks. this was before i was into reefs, i was doing fish only. i currently water change every week, but i was very mad that he would do that in front of so many people. he said he wouldn't sell to me any more, and to be honest, i haven't given him the opportunity.

I honestly believe hobbyiest should run and work at fish shops,I'd be very happy for a job at a LFS I'm only 15 but I'll have the capacity. I'm getting my GED in like 3 months...

I absolutely loath places that sell junk to you and won't leave you alone if you disagree.

As far as the water change thing goes... I wont tell you my normal water changing schedule. Lets just say its usually alot longer than a few weeks between my changes. It all depends on your system and things like water volume, bioload, nutrient levels, and trace element demand. If you were to see my system you would think that I do water changes everyweek, but the truth is it simply is not needed and doesn't benifit the system great enough to make a difference. But like I said each system is different. I had a 29g reef that I did weekly water changes on. Of course the water changes weren't 150g at a time either making it much easier:)

Garrett

I've never had any trouble with Eric, sorry to hear about yours :(

Then again, I've never discussed dosing kalk with him either.

dont do it. just skip the kalk talk. he is alright, but a little rough. i understand he is just trying to make it. but sometimes it feels like he wants you to get in and get out, and if you want him to feed a fish so you can watch it eat, he seems upset.

glad to hear you will be coming down to Eugene. stop by and check out my tank whenever you want, before 3pm, just send me a message when you want to come over.