Sally lightfoot crab

gmiller

Sally lightfoot crab, the red one, and the nimble spray crab, brownish with yellow leg bands, also called sally lightfoot, does anyone keep these?,and have you had a problem with them? I read that when they become larger they will prey on fish and other inverts. While all crabs are opportunistic feeders, are these crabs among the problem crabs?, and at what size do they become a problem ?. Thanks. Gary.

I've had one for over a year no problems in the reef.

I kept one previously in a 44g seahorse tank for a couple years until I had a problem with the crab nipping a seahorses' tail after the seahorse had hitched to it. The seahorse convulsed and the crab was bashed on a rock and was no more. The seahorse injury was minor and healed without treatment.

The one I have now in my reef just chills in the same spot and is rarely seen. All of my fish are 3" plus and I have never had a problem in the reef.

JME, HTH

i have one in a tank with hermits, emeralds, and lots of other inverts. the crab does fine in the tank and i would highly doubt that it would kill other inverts.

i would however, go with a female. when you are in the store looking at them have the LFS guy sex them. it is just like dungeness crab. flip it over and if the bottom of the carapace has a narrow plate then it is male, wide and rounded is a female. the females stay much much smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Experience

I have had one for over a year with no problems. I have (2) Yellow, (2) Green and (2) Neon Gobies. They are never bothered by the crab. Mine is rather small so it must be a female. It molts about every month or two.