Frag Tank Sales Technique?

Algae

I want to set up a frag tank, but I need arguements to sway my better half. I can see my discussion going a bit like this:

Me: I’m thinking about setting up a frag tank, Dear.

Her: That’s nice, our daughter would really like some more Nemo’s.

Me: Well..lt would just be corals…

Her: OK.. Corals are nice, particularly with that rock that you said cost only $.50 a pound and pretty white sand.

Me: Yea… There wouldn’t be any sand or rock. Think of the money saved!

Her: Yea, and the nice big pieces of that wavy coral were pretty and that bright red Yuma rock was only $5.00, right?

Me: Uh..right… Well, it would be kinda rare small hard corals that are a little spendy.

Her: What are you going to put in the tank for the corals to rest on?

Me: Really pretty eggcrate!

Her.What?

Me: It’s that white covering that sits under commercial lighting.

Her: Delightful!

Try this:

You: Hunny, I'd like to expand my aquarium hobby to include a frag tank.

Her: A what?

You: It's like a small shallow aquarium for multiplying the corals we already have, so I can trade for new ones. It will also help pay for the basic supplies I pay for now like my salt and supplements by being able to sell these corals.

Her: The stuff you already have? Well that sounds pretty neat. How much is this going to cost us?

You: Well, I'm going to need to buy new corals actually, but I'll grow them out! This will save us money in the long-run!

Her: You're ridiculous... How much does it cost??

You: Well, it depends on a lot of things, but I would guess around $500

Her: FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS? Does that include the corals you "need" to buy for it?

You: Well no... and by $500, I forgot about the rising acrylic prices... It might be like $700 total. I love you by the way.

Her: Goodnight. I don't want to talk about this. Did you take out the trash?

You: I'm on it right now. I love you.

Sorry it had to unfold this way... Guess you have to make a choice between the tank and your wife.

ya know she might be swayed if you actually took out the garbage when you said "right on it" (flame)oh better yet stun her with taking it out without her asking.:eek:.....she'l let you do anything, cause she'll be speechless...I know I would be , then again you may be one of those rare men who actually notice things that need to be done....in that case I'll explain to her that she should reward you ,so that other men will follow suit and how it would greatly benifit women around the world:D..... I get a discounted frag though(rock2)

If this is stricly for frag growing and not viewing go with a rubber made cattle trauff they come in all sizes from shallow to deep that way your biggest expense is lighting and advice with the wife have none mine knew what she was getting into when we were dating lol good luck but it will help to lesson the pain of your current adiction if you do it right and may even give you a little extra and a good coral to do it with is zoa/palys they grow fast come in insane varyations and most are vary hardy.

Try this:

You: Hunny, I'd like to expand my aquarium hobby to include a frag tank.

Her: A what?

You: It's like a small shallow aquarium for multiplying the corals we already have, so I can trade for new ones. It will also help pay for the basic supplies I pay for now like my salt and supplements by being able to sell these corals.

Her: The stuff you already have? Well that sounds pretty neat. How much is this going to cost us?

You: Well, I'm going to need to buy new corals actually, but I'll grow them out! This will save us money in the long-run!

Her: You're ridiculous... How much does it cost??

You: Well, it depends on a lot of things, but I would guess around $500

Her: FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS? Does that include the corals you "need" to buy for it?

You: Well no... and by $500, I forgot about the rising acrylic prices... It might be like $700 total. I love you by the way.

Her: Goodnight. I don't want to talk about this. Did you take out the trash?

You: I'm on it right now. I love you.

Sorry it had to unfold this way... Guess you have to make a choice between the tank and your wife.

LMAO good one Sam. Made me crack up.

I took out the garbage this morning all by myself by the way!!! (rock2)

LOL, good stuff. When presented with the possibility of new tank stuff, the first thing out of my wife's mouth is "Do you need to drill more holes in the walls?" If the answer is no, I stand a much better chance...

Regarding the acquisition of yet more aquarium stuff, this is how it went in this household about a year ago:

Me (the wife): Hey, I'm going to be working one night a week cleaning offices for a while, on top of my regular job, so I can buy a larger tank and all the stuff needed to get it going. That sound okay to you?

Him: Sure and thanks for not emptying the family savings!

Now I wish I still had that extra money coming in every week, as my "tank account" is almost empty and there is always more stuff desperately "needed" to improve things! :D

I have to admit this only worked, because our daughter is not little anymore, and my husband loves to cook (must be a family trait, his dad was a professional cook) and had no problem taking on dinner for that night.

LOL' date=' good stuff. When presented with the possibility of new tank stuff, the first thing out of my wife's mouth is "Do you need to drill more holes in the walls?" If the answer is no, I stand a much better chance...[/quote']

I love it! (rock2)

So the chances of an in-wall setup at your place are low, huh?

Way off topic Impur' date=' but let's pray that Jonathon Stewart ends up on a good team in tomorrows NFL draft. I'm crossing my fingers he ends up in Seattle actually.. Now that they released Shaun Alexander he has a much better chance![/quote']

Yah i'd love to see him in Seattle. But i'm thinking he goes much earlier than that, somewhere around #15.

Heh - my girlfriend is like "You need more tanks. What about we cut a hole in my wall, put a tank there and all the equipment can be in the closet. And what about a tank specifically for growing coral that you could sell? Is that possible?"

I got so [language filter] lucky :)

You're prbabably right' date=' Seattle is what, like #25 I think? It's a longshot, but it would be sweet to watch him play in the NW still. I sure wished we had another year with him in Eugene. It's going to be an "interesting" year for the Ducks.[/quote']

Yah he was fun to watch. I would go to a lot more Seahawk games if he goes there, they do pick #25. We'll see i guess, it could happen and i think Stew would love to play in his home state.

It will be an interesting year for sure. I think Blount and JJ will more than make up for the absence of Stew though, and the Oline will be dominant again. Its all about the QB at this point.

Sorry for the hijack Franklin!

Buy used, or upgrade and use what you changed out. It will cost you. It doesn't need to be pretty, just need to be functional. No way around it. Now keeping the wife happy is critical or the ONLY thing spawning will be the corals!!!!! :)

How about this.......

Just buy everything and only let the wife see it after everything has been purchased. Then tell her none of it can be returned because it was bought used. So you might as well set it up and try to earn back some of the $$ you already spent!!

How about this.......

Just buy everything and only let the wife see it after everything has been purchased. Then tell her none of it can be returned because it was bought used. So you might as well set it up and try to earn back some of the $$ you already spent!!

And she will awnser with this: Sure honey thats fine....say goodnight to the dog for me as this is who you will be sleeping with for the next 2 weeks....out in the doghouse.

Jay

I would probably just buy the stuff one piece at a time and add it gradually so she wouldnt notice. Or sell something useless to pay for it....like the old wedding dress in the closet that she doesnt need anymore....Or her 5000 doller fingernail polish collection, Or half of the shues she ownes. Heck just the shues might net 1000 bucks.

. What she doesnt know wont matter and will keep you sleeping in the bedroom.

Just kidding....I would never do anything like that (naughty) I guess my opinion doesnt count as I am divorsed

Jay

whish I could spell divorsed devorsed davorsed.... none of those look right either

Easier to ask for forgiveness then permission.

I did pick up a very comfy couch while Levitz was going out of business. This thing is so nice. Its great cuz the tank is in the living room too.

No seriously just talk to her about what you want to do. About how your expanding the hobby and saving corals from being collected from the ocean, etc, etc. Don't bring up the money thing right away cuz then you get into how much it costs, better to avoid IME. I did pay for every part of my my fish hobby for about a year back in Cali when I had the extra space. It was nice to net a few hundred a month from stuff I was growing, although I put all of it back in (to get better stuff).

HTH

Well...look at it this way. The fed's are nice enough to be providing us with some extra money real soon in the form of a 'Economy Stimulus check'. It is your duty to help stimulate the economy and you need to let your wife know this. Heck, tell her since you are so nice you may split the check with her :) I know I am looking at a lighting upgrade for my nano. :)

Sam Rick and Jess arent married RIGHT? Dang man it sounds like you know how it goes! Peggy says your ready for a wife!

:) Pretty much! I've learned a few things from those two. Probably why I'm not in a rush to get hitched... lol. Just kiddin, Rick and Jess are practically family. I think we'll see a proposal within the next 6 months. I feel it coming...