Zeovit Bandwagon

SamatSLS

I'm on it. Oh yes.

Just picked up my stuff! I can't wait to get it all going!!

Many months of going back n forth, reading, studying, and dreaming of beautiful corals have led to this!

I got a 1.5 liter reactor, the basic 4, K-balance strong, K+ test kit, CV, carbon... Went ahead and got Korallen Zucht's reactor media, and Zeomag for my calcium reactor too.

I hope this crap works.

-Sam

A zeovit system is a method of reefkeeping developed by Korallen Zucht.

www.zeovit.com is a extremely helpful forum. If you check on the general discussion english forum, you'll see a bunch of people asking questions. I posted a thread titled "New to ZEO, seeking advice"... You'll see what I mean. There is a guy on there named "aged salt" who helps newbies all the time. He completely layed out a dosing regiment and answered all of my questions. You can also find links to the zeovit guide by Korallen Zucht that is super helpful in gaining a basic understanding of it. It's rather involved, requires a fair amount of tank awareness, regular dosing, andtesting, but the results are stunning. I've seen a handful of tanks running ZEO in person, all were jaw dropping.

It's expensive though. If you check out www.zeovitusa.com you can see what I mean. It was a little over $500 to get me all set up. I did get some extras, including a couple products I won't use immediately, and I also got Korallen Zucht's brand of calcium reactor media/Magnesium media as well.

As far as blogging is concerned, of course! I need to track my progress and parameters anyway in determining future dosing regiments, tweaks, etc. I plan on taking photos to monitor growth and coloration as well. I'll lay it all out there. What I'm dosing, when I'm doing it, how much, my parameters, changes, problems, literally everything. I wish I'd come across something like that when I was deciding on taking this on!

I really think you can keep the costs down by sticking to just the basic 4, using a premium salt, maintaining NSW parameters, and feeding heavy. Most of these things you should do anyways so it's really just the basic 4. That is all I am using right now along with feeding RODS FOOD exclusively and my corals look great!

Good to hear! I was told to use Coral Vitalizer and bring up my Potassium in addition to the basic 4, but don't even consider doing anything else for 6 months or so... Feeding heavily with Rod's food is good to know as well. I love that stuff. I heard Joel at Waves carries it now, so I should probably go see him and pick some up. I'm using Seachem's Reef Salt right now, which I believe is pretty good for Zeovit. I may be switching though, as I (SLS) just became the main distributor for the new deltec salt, D-D's H2ocean which I'm eager to test out.

ps. Uhuru, I got an ATB like you do, and I can't wait to see if I can't get skimmate like you. Your skimmate pictures were the reason I pulled the trigger on that purchase :)

-Sam

Don't get me wrong - all the supps I have tried from KZ have been extremely potent and actually did what they were supposed to do. Sponge power is amazing. I also have a bottle of Coral Xtra but I haven't tried it yet. If I were trying to keep costs down though I have noticed great results with Rod's Food. I have almost all the different frozen foods and nothing has colored up my corals as nicely as this stuff.

Nice choice on the ATB too!

Sam can you email details on the salt?

Also, I thought I would share the "down side" of Zeovit. From my understanding it greatly increases the chances of tank crashes. Steve Weast always called it "walking a tightrope". Get a little out of balance and things come crashing down much quicker.

The other thing is to metion rumor has it many well known online vendors use these products. The result is corals that look outstanding but when they go in a "normal" system the turn brown as they arent getting exactly what they need. (or at least dont look anything like the photo etc).

Anyway, This is why I have not jumped on the zeo band wagon, If your dedicated, dont travel much and have the time to closely monitor your system, it does create amazing results. If you are more like a "normal" reef keeper, it can throw you into some dangerous situations.

HTH.

Joel,

Go to the D-D website www.theaquariumsolution.com for info on the salt. It's solar evaporated from the dead sea, with additives. Supposed to be great stuff, but we'll see.

Deciding to run zeovit was not a impulse decision. I did my homework, and have a pretty good understanding now of how it works. I somewhat agree with the comment about walking a tightrope. It's quite a bit more involved than the normal system. The results though are worth it to me. I've seen some very impressive zeovit systems out there, and I'm willing to do it.

As you know I do travel, and will have to rely on Rick from time to time. That's why I've been training him for a while now... He's read the Zeovit guide cover to cover, and has asked me a million questions. I even created a dosing schedule with a spot for him to initial after doing things. It's posted on the wall next to the tank, and should make it fool proof for both of us.

You're right about some of the online vendors. Bottom line for me though, those guys do get amazing results. What the corals from my tank will look like in someone elses tank is not really a big concern to me personally though, I mean, I'm not selling anything.

ps. you have Rod's food in stock? Do you carry Elos test kits?

I have seen just as many, if not more gorgeous non zeovit tanks than zeovit tanks. I have a hard time spending money on something that very well may improve the color and growth of your corals, when people achieve the same results with dedicated husbandry. JMO, will be interested to see how this works out.

its certainly not the only way to get great colors - but don't think that it does not involve just as much dedicated husbandry as non-zeovit tanks, I mean if you're going to say that then why stop at zeovit lets talk about GFO, carbon, DSB, etc... advancements in science, technology can be good or bad it depends on the person using it

Sam,

I am thinking of starting Zeovit soon on my 250 gal tank. I have no idea what my K+ levels are, so I do not know how much K strong to order with the rest of the basic 4. Did you get the K test kit, and if you did, can I borrow to make one test before I place my order?

Thanks,

Ken

Yes, I got the test kit, and of course you can use it. I'd imagine you'll be fine with a 250ML bottle though. I bought the smallest size of everything, and I can forsee that it's going to last a really long time. The drops, and .2ml of start2 twice daily is a really little amount. Your tank is 1.5x bigger than mine, but I think you'll agree.

Let me know when you want to meet up. My Potassium is pretty good, so I'd be willing to let you borrow/use the K-balance strong and the kit for a few days actually to get your levels up. You'll seriously see better color and polyp extension after getting it in line. Plus, by using it you'll really get a good idea of how much to buy....

I would also recommend buying Coral-Vitalizer right off the bat. That's what was recommended to me, and the stuff is truly amazing. Dose it daily, (3 drops for me) and within 30 minutes or so, bam! Your LPS/SPS polyps will pop out like none-other. It apparently improves the health of damaged corals, improves color, and aids in the increase of growth. It's too early for me to say that it's doing any of that, but I'm happy with the polyp reaction anyway.

-Sam

UPDATE:

1 week down. Tank clarity has reached a level I've never seen. The skimmate has been quite a bit darker and smellier. I've boosted my K+ levels to +/- 380, and slight color improvement can be seen with various SPS frags. I've noticed my monti's have colored up noticeably as well. Overall, the most obvious improvement is in my LPS corals. The Acans are all looking fantastic, and euphyllias are extended further than normal.

I'm very impressed so far... Will continue to post updates weekly. Pics are coming soon as well.

Ken, PM me before you place your order... I'm breaking down my system and will have many zeo supps for sale, along with some Reefers Best Salt which will get you off to the right start.

Sam that's awesome that you are already seeing results, especially in LPS.