Branching Zoa's???

Kerbash

Sup guys,
A LFS friend of mine, told me that his wholesaler have some strange zoas up for sales right now, they look just like zoas.
He said its listed as Zoa Rod, both of us have never heard of them Goolging dont give me any concrete answer, does anyone know their species name? I really want to know if they can build branches like a gorgonia or something.

Anyone heard or seen anything like this b4? Or have we been duped and its just zoa growing on some skeleton.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 180426.pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 180415.pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 180450.pngScreenshot 2023-05-16 180444.png

• Haha 1

It looks like it may just be zoanthids on Branching rocks, although there are species of epizoanthus that live associated with branching sponges. They are non-photosynthetic and I haven't seen them for sale in a looooong time. Garf used to sell them growing on zipties. The Sponge would grow on the ziptie and the epizoanthus would follow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kerbash said:

Huh thanks guys, yeah we got no idea. Too bad its so expensive i wanna have a closer look.

Lol yea don't fall for the bait. I've been thinking about doing this myself with zoas but, I don't have big enough skeletons to justify doing it yet. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kerbash said:

The funniest thing is that next to the posting in big bold letters it said RARE!!!

Maybe he just meant the zoas  ? They look like a Tubbs blue and nice color variety but not rare . Maybe wholesaler just meant to say they were on a rod like selling a zoa rock ?

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

Maybe he just meant the zoas  ? They look like a Tubbs blue and nice color variety but not rare . Maybe wholesaler just meant to say they were on a rod like selling a zoa rock ?

yeah im honestly not sure. we were thinking of just emailing the wholesaler and ask what so special about it lol cuz it was 125 bucks at wholesale prices.

17 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Looks like zoa growing on coral piece. They come like this all the time on maricultured pieces.  Zoas don’t come in a hard skeleton.  @goldenbasketreef I remember seeing your zoa pieces coming this way .

My guess it is a type of colorful stick polyp / Ancrozoanthus spp. It does form a soft branch as the colony become longer

I have brown / black all the time never the color as per picture above.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, goldenbasketreef said:

My guess it is a type of colorful stick polyp / Ancrozoanthus spp. It does form a soft branch as the colony become longer

I have brown / black all the time never the color as per picture above.

Can you provide a photo or a link...I have been in this hobby for 3 decades and have kept almost everything you can think of and have never seen branching Zoas. 

Ancrozoanthus spp, just pulls up regular Zoas and nothing like you are describing. There is a chance I have missed something, so I would be interested in what you are referring to and maybe find something I have never seen. 

41 minutes ago, elperron said:

Can you provide a photo or a link...I have been in this hobby for 3 decades and have kept almost everything you can think of and have never seen branching Zoas. 

Ancrozoanthus spp, just pulls up regular Zoas and nothing like you are describing. There is a chance I have missed something, so I would be interested in what you are referring to and maybe find something I have never seen. 

I cant unfortunately 😞 I dont have access to the wholesaler site, its from a friend of mine, Ill ask him though

5 hours ago, Eatfrenchfries said:

Try acrozoanthus or Parazoanthidae.@elperron

Those are not the same as what is posted... 

I did find this about the Acrozoanthus australiae, however from that I can tell they just prefer to attach to "sticks" or in many cases tube worm casing. I cant find anything that actually builds a hard shell in "stick" like form. 

http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsespecies.php?CritterID=2145