Marineland powerhead too strong?

PNWRachael

I have a Marineland powerhead in a 20 gal tank and it seems like it's too strong for my new little black clowns. They swim furiously when it's on and seem to stick to one corner.  (I've shut it off.)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a powerhead or wave maker that moves the water but is maybe intermittent or can be scheduled to be on and off and also has a slower speed than most others?

Thanks so much

AI Nero 3 lower cost option, and I'm actually a bigger fan of the AI pumps over the Ecotech. Google Jaebo for lower cost copies that work OK but crap out about the 1 year mark ime. All programable with adjustable min/max flow and ramping up and down. A lesson you'll learn, either the easy way or the hard way, is that you get what you pay for in this hobby and it's worth spending the money up front. Trust someone who's been doing this for 30 years now. 

• Like 1

I have one of these in my IM25L and have not had any issues with it.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083LP42WZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a Jebao SLW which I would not recommend as it is pretty dang noisy and the magnet is also pretty weak.  I had to buy an epoxy coated magnet and glue it to the wet side to get it to stick.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LP8GMCJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Small tanks are hard when it comes to flow. I would probably try a Jebao SOW-4. That will at least be adjustable and can do wave motion so things can get a bit of a rest from getting blasted. Those run about $60.

non controllable option would be a Hydor Koralia, maybe like a 600 GPH model. Those are around $40

Another option would be figuring out diffusing the flow on your pump more. Are you aimed at the surface or into the tank? Any pics of your setup?