And then his RTN happened...

obrien.david.j

17 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

I would be surprised if it hurt your anemones. People routinely use Cipro on anemones and this stuff is similar to Cipro.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:21 PM, obrien.david.j said:

treatment didn't bother my small aptasia population at all.  

@Lexinverts - any idea on anemones?

Thanks for the reply’s. Just such little available info on this treatment I was wary of the side effects to other inhabitants. Its been a last resort after trying everything to save my acros from some unknown pathogen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 9:54 PM, obrien.david.j said:

Friday (2/24) - 5:30pm, changed 70gallons

Sunday (2/26) - 4:30pm, changed 70 gallons

Observations so far, no ill effects.    Hard to say the treatment "stopped RTN."    A couple of corals have had STN, but the "S" stands for Slow.   So will take some time  for the next judgement/observation.

Overall, I'm very happy I did this.   Very easy, did not show any signs of stress.  Even during treatment days.

Hi Obrien.david.j

Can you provide update after 9months

How's tank Going?

And did you remove filter sock wile treatment?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 4:19 AM, DDsingh said:

Can you provide update after 9months

How's tank Going?

And did you remove filter sock wile treatment?

9 month update.  Tanks doing well, this was an easy treatment and I'd do again if needed.   

There must have been some bacteria in my tank.  Because before treatment I couldn't seem to keep torches nor fragspawn, yet I've got SPS growing like crazy.  They'd just slowly close up and eventually die over time.    After this treatment, new ones I've introduced are doing fine.    At least my feeling is, it helped.

And no, never removed filter socks during treatment.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

Thank goodness I remember you talking about this last time I saw you. I'm having some STN on a couple acros and looking to order some of this tonight! Thanks @Lexinverts and @obrien.david.j!

Hi Bill:

Send me a message via Facebook if you need a quicker response. If possible, I would recommend dipping these corals in a bath of OA or dipping them in addition to the whole tank treatment. The direct dip is more effective at stopping the STN. I recently saved most of my favorite Oregon Tort colony with dips.

Good luck!

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lexinverts said:

Hi Bill:

Send me a message via Facebook if you need a quicker response. If possible, I would recommend dipping these corals in a bath of OA or dipping them in addition to the whole tank treatment. The direct dip is more effective at stopping the STN. I recently saved most of my favorite Oregon Tort colony with dips.

Good luck!

Andy

Andy, 

Is your dip any stronger than the whole tank treatment strength?  And how long did you dip for - minutes, an hour, 6hrs, a day?    (this defines what the dip setup needs to look like)

3 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Andy, 

Is your dip any stronger than the whole tank treatment strength?  And how long did you dip for - minutes, an hour, 6hrs, a day?    (this defines what the dip setup needs to look like)

Yes, 2 grams per gallon of tank water for 4-6 hrs with heavy aeration for the dip. I do it 3 times with a day in between each treatment.

10 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

That's a pretty strong concentration.   I dosed 20g for my Whole system (350-400 gallon volume).

So I understand better now.

It is, but it is also easy on the corals when you do it like I describe. I think it is less risky than using cipro as a dip, as cipro dips seem to be a little harsher in my experience.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2023 at 12:35 PM, obrien.david.j said:

9 month update.  Tanks doing well, this was an easy treatment and I'd do again if needed.   

There must have been some bacteria in my tank.  Because before treatment I couldn't seem to keep torches nor fragspawn, yet I've got SPS growing like crazy.  They'd just slowly close up and eventually die over time.    After this treatment, new ones I've introduced are doing fine.    At least my feeling is, it helped.

And no, never removed filter socks during treatment.

Hi, just found this thread as I’ve been investigating using OA to treat an ongoing issue with STN that has been ongoing for a while. I’ve had reef tanks for over 20 years and I’ve never run into something like this before. About to do a Biom test and will likely do the OA treatment as at this point I have nothing left to lose. 

Just wanted to say thank you for posting all of the detail for your dose. Assuming things are still going well for your tank/coral?

thank you again. 

12 minutes ago, Blstravler said:

Just wanted to say thank you for posting all of the detail for your dose. Assuming things are still going well for your tank/coral?

Tanks are a never ending labor of love.  Yes, tank and corals are still going well.   Even after an 11hr power outage, and 20degree temp drop.  (different thread)