Montipora eating nudibranch 411

islandVib3s

Montiporas dying flesh patches.it usually starts from the path of least resistance from the underside,they also hide between frags and plugs. I've got them under control in my main display, I've been hunting them and dipping with pig dewormer.  Flatworm exit works but honestly it has a 50/50 percent of killing them. Usually they're just paralyzed for awhile,which is why I use it for a dip and agitation flushes them out.. also if they lay eggs,exit or anything cant rid of them. 

8 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

Here's a little picture if you've never seen them before. They're night crawlers so keep a look out.they will destroy montipora and anacroporas fast. 20221025_223322.jpg

Great post, thanks for sharing!   I've never seen monti eating nudis, but have seen my share of Berghia (nudis).  They look dangerously alike.

• Like 1

Monti eating nudi is the most difficult pest to eradicate because it will require super high strength of dip medication that will kill coral

Egg and/or adult comes with mariculture montipora or monti from infected system

I have tried full strength of bayer without dilution and this pest still alive, high dose of KCL will only temporary shock it but not kill it

The best way is to QT new monti or manually hunt adult and eggs daily till all gone in the infected system

IME another option is to use camel shrimp, this shrimp will hunt for egg and adult monti eating nudi

not sure if peppermint shrimp will do the same since I have never tried it

• Like 1

Yea its pretty crazy, tbh idk how it got into my new system, but I have been actively hunting every night and eggs take up to 96hrs to hatch so ill try hunting for a couple more days,I also have a long nose butterfly that helps and actively hunts also with lights off so thats helpful. And the medication im using just for a dip is levamed. Pig dewormer, same stuff as exit but pure lol.

7 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

Last resort I will QT all my montis and anacroporas. Hoping I won't have to but you never know. Luckily they hatch fast and now I have first hand of what to look for . One of the best reasons to keep stuff on plugs or plates lol easy in and easy out.

Cut the top portion of monti / anacropora then discard the base, put the top section in a new base.

I bet it will cut down 95% of time hunting for the nudi

• Thanks 1