Resealing tank

Abarger16

So my brand new marineland 75g has the worse silicone job I have ever seen 1 of the seams the silicon doesnt even go onto both panes the structural silicone job is fantastic but the seals are garbage. I cant warranty the tank either because Ive drilled it already.

2 minutes ago, Abarger16 said:

So my brand new marineland 75g has the worse silicone job I have ever seen 1 of the seams the silicon doesnt even go onto both panes the structural silicone job is fantastic but the seals are garbage. I cant warranty the tank either because Ive drilled it already.

That sucks,I've done 3 exchanges on a aqueon because the same problem and also because it was tempered.  Its alot of work re sealing that size tank. Have to remove it all pretty much and reseal all of it in 1 go or it won't cure together properly.  But it can be done. Biggest ive done is a 65 and below.

1 minute ago, Parzifal said:

Yikes…. Tagging along because I have no clue how that can be fixed without a complete resiliconing.   

I've done them on rimmed tanks. Up to a 65gallon and few 55 gallons. I removed all the interior silicone with new razor blades,left the exterior seal on rims. Alot of cleaning and wipe down with rubbing alcohol. Then resealed. Tried tools for silicone, but finger lays it the best. Lay the beads of silicone then mist a little water over it,then run finger over it to give its finish. Let dry and clean up with razor after curing. Its a messy long job.

Yeah i just went through with a flashlight and got all the hazyness out vaccumed then acetone wipe down vaccumed again and just finished resealing it. Ive got one seam that started to skin up so the surface looks kinda bad but i went with 8mm beads because to stay with the same thickness as the glass. But im done now and will let everyone know if it holds water next week lol 

Edited by Abarger16
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Abarger16 said:

Yeah i just went through with a flashlight and got all the hazyness out vaccumed then acetone wipe down vaccumed again and just finished resealing it. Ive got one seam that started to skin up so the surface looks kinda bad but i went with 8mm beads because to stay with the same thickness as the glass. But im done now and will let everyone know if it holds water next week lol 

Crossing my fingers for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I used ASI black silicone its goes off fast though you get about 10 mins before it skins.it looks 10000% better with tooling imo than the finger spread method. Another thing is that the vinegar smell is not nearly as bad as most people have said it is either. And its not crazy expensive. 

Edited by Abarger16

3 hours ago, Abarger16 said:

Yep I used ASI black silicone its goes off fast though you get about 10 mins before it skins.it looks 10000% better with tooling imo than the finger spread method. Another thing is that the vinegar smell is not nearly as bad as most people have said it is either. And its not crazy expensive. 

This one?

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Aquarium-Silicone-Sealant-Cartridge/dp/B00EZB2MDI/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1DBO6KSWH82VE&keywords=ASI+black+silicone&qid=1654815014&sprefix=asi+black+silicone%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-2

image.png

• Like 1