Urenoma!!

ShoeCrew

I recently ordered 8 blue/green chromis from Liveaquaria along with a pair of clownfish. I was not aware of Uronema illness before so when I saw the fish with a red section I thought it may be just in fighting from the tank it came from. But after three dead fish the next day, it clicked that something was not right. Thank God i placed all in qt and not placed it in dt . But all the fish I placed along with the original 2 sick chromis are looking sick now and it seems like there is no cure once there are visual signs on the fish. I gave them some metroplex.

have you guys faced this illness and successfully beaten it?

Uronema is so widespread in the hobby. 10-20% of tanks of tanks we've tested have it.

Wholesaler tanks are so infested with Uronema that even the rocks taken from those tanks have it, let alone the fish. (Again, this is based on DNA testing)

Personally I've moved to using only peroxide and observational QT. Peroxide bath, then into observational QT with low dose of peroxide, then another peroxide bath after theyve been in QT a month or so. 

I've seen some good evidence that tanks infested with Uronema can be cleared using an in tank peroxide treatment. 

But whats really needed is still missing. We need a few cases where we first confirm the fish has Uronema (by testing rather than visually), then treat it, then confirm that the Uronema is gone (again by testing). This kind of experiment is on my list but hasnt happened yet. 

• Like 2

Chromis are notorious for having uronima. Especially from liveaquaria. Anything that is not bought from divers den on live aquaria is shipped directly from quality marine which is a large wholesaler in la. The quality of their livestock has really taken a sharp decline over the past few years. I’ve had to cancel my account with them. 
There are good chromis out there. But be careful where u get them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all the replies. It is not easy to find blue/green chromis vs the green chromis(green chromis) in my experience. So that was the motivation for ordering from Liveaquaria but this was a total flop. Whatever information on the topic I can find online is recommending treatment with metroplex. When I called Liveaquaria, they recommended erithromycin, kanamycin. It is like shooting in the dark. Would uv sterilizer help with anything in this case? I am installing a 36w Uv sterilizer in my next qt. 

I lost 6 chromis and 2 clownfish at this point. 

On 11/17/2021 at 4:47 AM, EMeyer said:

Uronema is so widespread in the hobby. 10-20% of tanks of tanks we've tested have it.

Wholesaler tanks are so infested with Uronema that even the rocks taken from those tanks have it, let alone the fish. (Again, this is based on DNA testing)

Personally I've moved to using only peroxide and observational QT. Peroxide bath, then into observational QT with low dose of peroxide, then another peroxide bath after theyve been in QT a month or so. 

I've seen some good evidence that tanks infested with Uronema can be cleared using an in tank peroxide treatment. 

But whats really needed is still missing. We need a few cases where we first confirm the fish has Uronema (by testing rather than visually), then treat it, then confirm that the Uronema is gone (again by testing). This kind of experiment is on my list but hasnt happened yet. 

2 chromis fish are surviving. All I did was dumping some metroplex. We need to see what happens after a month but these fish were clearly exposed to it. Would you like to test these fish for urenoma by any chance if they survive? 

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Here is the appropriate approach for all chromis.  When you see them in the store and you think "oh, I like those" 

Walk out of store and drive home. 

Funny, I remember cycling tanks with these back in the day and then being "stuck" with them because they were tough and always survived the tank break in.  Obviously a different scenario these days....  (yes, this falls in the "when I was a kid" category)

5 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Here is the appropriate approach for all chromis.  When you see them in the store and you think "oh, I like those" 

Walk out of store and drive home. 

This matches my experience with Chromis. Such pretty fish for a couple days. 

• Like 1

I m down to 1 chromis and 1 clownfish. It is like the plague. My experience was also that they were very hardy. At least Liveaquaria is refunding me for the fish. I m taking a picture of a dead fish and making a claim everyday. It feels off in many ways. My 4 year old son got really shocked about this whole business of dead fish and pictures.